New, New TardisBuilders!

Manchester police boxes

Started by domvar, Mar 04, 2012, 04:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

domvar

Mark

Mar 04, 2012, 05:20 pm #1 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012, 05:24 pm by Mark
Nice post Dom.

Interesting that Manchester had a couple of variations. As I'm sure you are well aware but maybe others aren't, Sheffield had three variations of boxes.

I do think that when the GPO came to fit the lamp to the box with the life belt they gave it a half-hearted installation when it came to doing the wiring!

If you look at the one with the life belt you can make out what looks to me as where they have covered up where the old phone panel used to be before the "new" Ericsson speaker panel was installed. There is a visible line which matches up with the lower band on the door.

Oddly, is that the same box in both photos?

*Edit* I should have really read the newly arrived Sheffield Police Boxes thread before opening my mouth! Sorry :D

domvar

domvar

Don't think I have seen this one before
42451965491_4aba0945bc_b.jpg

mikey

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

kutan66

Oo!  Didn't know about this.  When the curfew is over, may have to have a ride to see it!

GM Police Museum 1.jpg

mikey

Don't know if it's a replica or original. I rather like it and think it looks smart in red.
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

kutan66

Looks a bit too neat to be original?

police6_1.jpg

And it looks like they've recreated a frontage for a doorway.

GMP Museum & Archives.jpg

Kingpin

It does appear a little akin to a simplified "close enough to fit in our budget" build.  The plaques for the sign and side vents, roof trim, door and windows all look very simplified compared to the black & white prototype.

mikey

Apr 18, 2020, 01:38 pm #9 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2020, 07:25 pm by mikey
Another pic here. Caption reads: Manchester police Ardwick in 1933. Motorcycle & sidecar with an Alvis Police vehicle parked up at the Police box.

0E2F3FD9-4203-42A9-AA35-222CD1382725.jpeg

mikey

Another Manchester box here situated on the corner of Cringle Road and Stockport Road.

05146E36-CB85-49BC-831E-05218E06CC33.jpeg

mikey

mikey

IMG_4496.JPG

Junction of Birchfields Road and Dickenson Road