Mar 17, 2012, 01:36 pm #32 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012, 03:22 pm by Dalekoracle
Ickenham Village Green. Box X56.

Ikenham Timeslip.jpg

Activated: 04 May 36
Decommissioned: 06 Mar 70

Mark D

Dalekoracle

Mar 17, 2012, 03:20 pm #33 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012, 03:23 pm by Dalekoracle
Heres Box X49, located on the corner of Coldharbour Lane and East Avenue in Hayes, Middlesex.
The road layout has changed and the traffic islands have been made a lot smaller, but it all lines up.

Hayes Timeslip.jpg

Activated: 04 May 36
Decommissioned: 26 Feb 70

Mark D

Mark

Mar 21, 2012, 01:47 pm #34 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012, 01:48 pm by Mark
Here's one. Box J16, St James Street, 40 yards south of Leucha Street.
J16.jpg

Not perfect as the box looks too big but I blame the Google street view image  :P I definately think this is the place though. This is one of the pictures Mark D found in the archive.

Dalekoracle

How cool is that.
Loving it!
Theres a real need to get out there armed with a stack of photo print outs and try to capture photographs taken where possible from the same positions as the original phjotos to enable seemless timeslippery to take place!

Roll on longer summer days and some long weekends.....

But brilliant that you managed to identify the box!

Mark D

Mark

Thanks Mark. Finding the location of that box really gave me a buzz, sad maybe but still  ::). I was quite exited.

I thought I had found that box earlier while trawling the lists but even though the building looked similar it had no alley way.

Travelling around London with a camera to recreate the old pictures of boxes was the main reason for me to log each box on Google Earth but whether I ever get round to visiting is anyones guess  ???

Maybe you could have a crack and do a more realistic Timeslip. I did rush it a little because of the excitment of finding the location and having to be at a work meeting, but I'm sure you would be able to do far better  ;D

Dalekoracle

I did have a go but the high view from the Google Cam Car and the low angle of the archive photo make it near impossible and i could not improve on the view you did mark.

I rather like it!

New location photography is a must i think!

Mark D

Dalekoracle

Working on the map is fun... especially when it comes to the street views to check for those little tell tale signs - metal gpo street junction boxes, manhole covers....

then every now and again you think "i recognise that building" and you go scurrying back through loads of photo's to cross check...

I was just looking at the streetview for F7, Goldhawk Road / Brackenbury Road near Shepards Bush. And spotted some upper floor windows that looked kinda familiar.

One cross check later, and a box that was thought to be "somewhere in Hammersmith" is suddenly identified.....

Presenting Goldhawk Road, F7.

Goldhawk road timeslip.jpg

Activated - 03 Jan 38
Decommissioned - Jul 70

And looking at the timeslip... sometimes its just lovely when everything lines up with ease.......

Enjoy!

Mark D

kiwidoc

Mark, that 'slip is a thing of beauty!

Mark

Agreed Kiwidoc, I think this one is the best yet - lines up perfectly!  These time slips are awesome, they give me a very strange feeling. Thinking of all the people that must have passed a certain place years and years ago. Very thought provoking.

Mark D, you are so right. When I re-found St James St., J16, the sudden hunting around for that Police Box picture was frantic and when it lined up there was so much joy. I need to get out more lol

Dalekoracle

"I need to get out more"

Yes. Indeed. With a camera. And a return ticket to London!

LOL!

Really glad that you guys are enjoying this thread.

Mark D

quiettype5

Those pictures are fantastic!
I am sad to say I am too young to have ever seen a police box in its proper place.
In fact the only real police box I have seen was the mark 3 at Hendon. I had the pleasure of being taken on a tour around the college back in 1998.

As Colin Baker said in the mini documentary back in 1993, for so many the police box is the TARDIS.
I was sat in the canteen at work last night, explaining the history of the police box to a colleague, and she initially didn't even believe they were real.

Keep up the good work.  :)
Brachacki, Newbury, Yardley-Jones, Hudolin and Richmond.
To everyone else they are just names.

lorisarvendu

Quote from: quiettype5 on Mar 28, 2012, 01:43 pm
Those pictures are fantastic!
I am sad to say I am too young to have ever seen a police box in its proper place.
In fact the only real police box I have seen was the mark 3 at Hendon. I had the pleasure of being taken on a tour around the college back in 1998.

Well if you're ever near Derbyshire, come to Crich!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxtiv7T5gXM

Rassilons Rod

Great video :)

I notice you said early on that "people think the door was rehung backwards" but you're not convinced.

However when the guy came along to open it, the inside of the door had the panels that we would all normally expect on the outside.

Do you think it was always hung backwards then, or do you think that's just the way this design is?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.