Apr 19, 2024, 04:32 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

New to Who and Eager to Build!

Started by edenkestral, Feb 13, 2012, 02:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

edenkestral

Hello All!

About two months ago I discovered doctor who and promptly DEVOURED it! Since then I've made it my goal in life to drink up all the who I can. On a side note, I am also a proud cat parent of 3 wonderful adopted kitties. My husband and I were looking to make a cat tree when I came across astromark's LOVELY TARDIS cat fort! Since then, I can't get out of my head that I would like to give my cats the same luxury!

I'd like to do a similar project, a half-size model of the 2005 Tennant TARDIS with no roof and a hole cut for kitties to climb into. I'd like the right hand (without the sign) door to open inward and the other to be fixed to allow more room inside for platforms. I would also like to do this on a budget. A LA laminated signs vs. vinyl or glass and pre-made lumber sizes. I was planning to use Bill Rudloff's PDFs to scale down to half-size, but I'm not sure how accurate that might turn out.

As for experience: I've used a variety of tools before, but not for a few years. I have access to a good jigsaw and a table saw, plus an electric screwshooter, levels, etc.

What I'd really like  is any suggestions to cut costs, any help with dimensioning that you can give me, and general tips/advice for taking on this project!

Thanks so much in advance and you guys are AWESOME!

-Eden

galacticprobe

Feb 13, 2012, 07:14 am #1 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2012, 07:15 am by galacticprobe
Welcome aboard! This thread here may be if interest to you, or at least give you some ideas: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3032.0. If this is something you're thinking of, perhaps if you contacted the builder via PM he'd be able to help you.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

She does mention Astromark's build in her post. ;) ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff
P.S. I guess I do too. ;)

galacticprobe

Feb 14, 2012, 08:35 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2012, 08:35 am by galacticprobe
:P I read that! Fracking memory. I actually forgot that I'd read it when I typed my post. (Old brain cells, pain meds, senility, maybe a dose or two of Mad Cow thrown in - I need a brain recharge, or transplant.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

edenkestral

I noticed one major difference among the build diaries I've been scouring, there is a divide between those who assemble the rails and stiles first and then cut the plywood to fit, and those who cut the plywood first and then attach the rails, etc.

Which do you find to be most effective and easiest?

I would think it would be easier to create the rails first and then cut the ply to fit, followed by cutting the posts,etc and then the base, working outward to circumvent any mistakes in measuring. What are you guys' opinion on this?

galacticprobe

Feb 15, 2012, 05:58 am #5 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2012, 06:00 am by galacticprobe
Personally, I think if you take the plywood panel cut to size, then mark out where the stiles need to go and attach the stiles to the plywood "wall", you would end up with a sturdier structure - more solid walls. Making the stiles and then fitting cut panels to fit them is a bit like building a standing puzzle: lots of potential weak spots. (Let's face it; we're not all Norm Abrams when it comes to building like that!)

But that's just me. The things is to do what is the easiest for you. If building the stiles first and then adding the panels in works better for you, then go for it. There are proponents of both methods here, and I'm sure they'll chime in with the pros and cons of each method.

Dino.