Apr 20, 2024, 06:49 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Miniature TARDIS???

Started by timeandrelitivedimensions, Feb 06, 2012, 02:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

timeandrelitivedimensions

Feb 06, 2012, 02:03 am Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 02:03 am by timeandrelitivedimensions
i want to make a TARDIS that is about the size of a small half locker. maybe 2.5 feet tall? i haven't a clue how to go about it. can any one offer some instruction?

Mark

Hi,

At about 2 1/2 feet tall you are looking at nearly 1/4 scale which is what I'm building to.

I guess that you need to answer the following before anything else;

a)  what are you building out of - card, foam board, wood etc
b) what style of TARDIS are you aiming for - New Series ie Matt Smith, Tennant or Old School versions

Before, during and after you decide the above you need to know what your box is going to be for. Some have built as a model, others as a mail box, some as a DVD or computer case.

Whatever the purpose of your build and despite what material you use pretty much all the research material you need for whatever type of box you are building is available on these pages.

If you get stuck with any part of your build, there will be somebody who has the help you need.

Good luck with whatever you decide to build, keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask!

neverland

I am trying to figure out how to do the same. I want to build one about 4 1/2ft. for holding dvds for my husbands birthday in 2 months. I am pretty clueless about this and have built very little in the past. I have been doing my homework on here all day long trying to figure this out. I think the hardest part will be the little windows and door panels. How to cut them so they look good when they are put in place.

Mark

Hi, The windows and panels can be quite tricky or they can be one of the easiest parts - it depends a lot on what tools you have at your disposal, your skill at using them and how accurate to a particular TARDIS you want your build to end up as.

Have you checked out any of the build diaries for tips how other people have done thiers?

If your box is going to be 4 1/2 ft tall then at least making the windows won't be a fiddly as smaller scales.

neverland

Yes, I have read a lot of the build diaries but most of it might as well be in Chinese. I don't speak construction. I have basic tools to use but have had no instruction on officially cutting wood at angles or what not. I will have to build mine with straight edges and keep it very basic but with the help of ready made trim it will look real nice. I'm very nervous and excited to start. It's all about the adventure!!

DoctorWho8

Watch a lot of New Yankee Workshop on PBS.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

neverland

Never heard of that show. Watch a lot of Nova and Nature on there. I'll check it out and see if I can catch an episode.

DoctorWho8

Feb 28, 2012, 03:06 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012, 03:06 am by DoctorWho8
It's usually on Saturday afternoons with a repeat during the weeknights. http://www.newyankee.com/#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=7916461
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

neverland

I'll try to catch it this weekend. Thanks!!