Apr 26, 2024, 08:30 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Once Upon a Way Police Box

Started by chriskingbees, Jan 29, 2012, 05:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chriskingbees

Hi all
I've been meaning to show you all this. It's a picture of Elsie in front of a box at the Eastleigh Sci-Fi event last Spring.
Unfortunately, the people exhibiting this prop were claiming it to be "The original BBC Tardis prop, from the 60s) Oh dear, it's not like me, but I had to put them right. This is, in fact, a GRP replica, made by the company "Once Upon a Way" Compare it to the Wetherby box and you'll see what I mean. They were insistent that they had bought it from the BBC in the 80s and although that is possible, their "original 60s prop claim" was ludicrous, as usual.
Still, it's a nice prop and I was happy to have my 100% original, 1960s, BBC Shawcraft Dalek (i.e. built by me) photographed with it  ;D

P7020007 - Copy (600x800).jpg

KB

galacticprobe

Jan 29, 2012, 07:26 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012, 07:27 pm by galacticprobe
I wonder what they would say if they were shown a period photo of the actual TARDIS prop from the '60s (original Brachacki or Brachacki Modified), and saw all of the inaccuracies of their box once compared to the photos - inaccuracies of which are far too numerous to list here!

I'd bet they'd have a faint.

Elsie, on the other hand, is looking fantastic as usual!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fedora

It still looks an excellent replica build i still have the advert from the magazine sfx for the once upon a time police boxes . one question though were they fibreglass or wooden replicas?
But it was just a police box !

chriskingbees

Definitely fibre glass. This was the second bit of evidence to disprove the "Original prop" claim. The first being what it looks like lol
A scan of that advert would be interesting to see, Fedora

KB

Mark

These boxes do look pretty nice but if the Wetherby one is anything to go by, they are very flimsy (maybe thats because its outdoors and getting on a bit?).

In the picture posted by Chris, it looks to me as though the sign box and posts are bowing inwards. Maybe just the flash and shadow falling oddly.

Making out to people it is the original Doctor Who prop is a little foolish of them because anyone with our sort of obsession with the programme would just laugh at them or at best just point out all the inaccuracies!

Very nice Dalek by the way Chris. She looks great. I remember you were planning a Dalek last time I was a regular round these parts, didn't know you had actually done it! Nice coat too, Mrs KB is awesome!

robertpunk

Here's a picture of just the box taken on the same day

Eastleigh.jpg

lorisarvendu

I have to say that's the colour I like my police boxes to be.  I've never been that fond of lighter blue of the Davison era, the darer blue of Tom's Yardley Jones, or even the dark miltary grey of the Eccleston box.  The lighter grey of the Pertwee TARDIS does give me a nostalgic twinge, but nothing beats a lovely dark dark metropolitan blue. 

fedora

my preference of colour of any police box is a middle blue to a bit of a darker blue  . Ido agree about the lighter colours from the tyj box sometime it was a tad to pale  . I never agreed with Glasgow city council painting police boxes red  but that is just my opinion

Mark

Glasgow Police Boxes were supposed to be Red weren't they?

fedora

they were so that they matched the pillar boxes and the k6 telephone boxes . I just think it was a daft idea Glasgow council painted them blue in the seventies after seeing the TARDIS in colour in dr who on tv.