News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

gerzah and his garden shed

Started by gerzah, Jan 29, 2012, 05:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gerzah

Jan 29, 2012, 05:25 pm Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012, 06:09 pm by gerzah
Hi guys,

thanks for having this platform to exchange ideas and concepts.

As you can see in my profile image ...

Tardis-vermessen.jpg

... my first step was getting the dimensions of my 1:10 scale model with a sliding caliper. Although - it's kind of nonsense to take notes about sizes measured in mm with two digits behind the decimal point, when the accuracy of your draft will be in full cm.  ;)

Anyways: Based on what I got, I created a very rough 2D sketch, already adding or removing a cm here and there. Please excuse the lousy quality - it's really just a very first draft.

PDF-Ausgabe-001.gif

The problem is: What I'm intending to create is not a fully authentic TARDIS, but a garden shed. According to my calculations from my 1:10 dimension measurements, the final TARDIS would be only about 1.25m wide (plus the base). -- Could someone who's actually built one already please confirm this for me? Is a TARDIS really just about 50 inches or 4.15 feet wide?
For sure, that's not enough to be a usable garden shed - I probably won't get the "bigger on the inside" thing right without a fully functional sonic screwdriver. ;D

So - in real life, it's certainly no good solution to simply scale it up in all three dimensions, as it would create an incredibly tall building, which might require a delicate building permit ... which I wasn't intending to apply for. ;)

So my actual idea is to simply add more panels. As I had my 2D draft ready, I simply added a third panel in the middle. Have a look, that's how it would look like.

PDF-Ausgabe-002.gif

This three panel TARDIS would be 1,80m wide (plus the base). That sounds more like it. But one major problem remains: Keeping in mind that this is going to be a garden shed, a door that is only about 50cm wide is very inconvenient when trying to push the lawnmower into it.

But - let's blast this up to 4 panels first, shall we?

PDF-Ausgabe-003.gif

My idea is to use the rightmost two panels as a conjoined door - and as usual for a garden shed, it should open to the outside, not to the inside. According to my sketch, the door would be 1,05m wide - that should provide for all contingencies. The leftmost two panels will be fixed, while the second from the left will hold the (fake) phone cabinet door. The entire four-panel TARDIS would be 2,35m wide (plus the base).

Due to space limitations, I'm planning to build a rectangular TARDIS garden shed that has three panels on the shorter side, and four panels on the longer side, creating a 1,80m x 2,35m shed (plus the base). ... And it's still be about 2,50-2,60m high.

Please tell me what you think: Would such a modified design still work as a "TARDIS like building" (try to imagine it in TARDIS blue), or do you think that this will look just incredibly stupid?

gerzah

Jan 29, 2012, 06:34 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012, 06:35 pm by gerzah
OK, OK, my roof pitch is to steep. To my excuse, as you might see on the first photo, it's like this with the cookie jar. The roof contains the battery compartment and the rest of the electronics for the sound processing.

... That shouldn't be a problem when continuing this project.

DoctorWho8

http://billrudloff.com/NewTARDISfront.pdf  I mentioned this in your other thread, but I'll post it here.  This is my drawing of the New Series TARDIS.  The base comes out to 60 inches or 152.4cm.  I think you can work out the rest.  Enjoy!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

gerzah

Awesome - thanks! I guess I'll just redo my three panel / four panel modification based on your design.

sillysparrowness

Interesting project. I'm already doing some heavy thinking. ;)

I think I would be less irritated if you would center the writing and have the empty spaces left and right rather than between the words. (Try that for a start?)

gerzah

Jan 30, 2012, 08:55 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2012, 09:13 am by gerzah
Yes, I agree, that "PHONE" / "BOX" with a huge gap in between looks kind of strange. "PHONE PUBLIC CALL BOX" is just not right, "PUBLIC CALL" needs to be written in two lines in top of each other.

Your suggestion of pulling the inscription together again over the two middle panels like it was taken from a regular two panel TARDIS might be the solution.
... Furthermore, I took the first best sanserif font that I got my hands on, without even investigating which the correct one was. I guess my inner perfectionist who usually would have taken care about that was gone for a snack when I typed the letters. :) Getting this right might improve the resemblance a great deal.

After having slept over it and also having talked to my friend in the USA (the one who actually hinted me to your video before it got viral ;) ), I think that an even number of panels is the only right choice for the front side, adding one additional panel both on the left and the right, while keeping the center two panels "as TARDIS-ish as possible".

Using three panels for the shorter side is a compromise to get the shed a little bit deeper than just a ... well ... long-stretched phone box. :D I'm still don't like the idea of squeezing the panels wider to gain additional shed depth while keeping true to the original number of two panels. But I guess I'll have to create a couple of more doodles.

rocket

You could actually get the floor space you need and keep it with only the two panels if you kept it to scale and made it a two story structure. It'd be the biggest damn Tardis around.  ;)
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

gerzah

Cool idea. :-) But garden sheds that are considerably higher than ~2.50 m might require a building permit, and might also lead to noisy debates if not complaints by our neighbors.

... As I keep thinking, I've never heard of a two floor garden shed - which then would require some kind of circular staircase, that might be kind of hard to manage when trying to carry a lawnmower upstairs. *headscratch*

;D

You know, without delivering any kind of substantial help for my endeavor, you really just made my day.

Sorvan

What if you built it as if there was a shed leaning against the TARDIS?  Then you could have it as wide as you wanted without having to alter the shape of the TARDIS.  If you want it deeper as well, just build it as though the TARDIS was the corner of the building.
TARDIS_with_shed.png

Colin

Mark

Hi Coli how are you, long time no speak!

Stop nicking my ideas! lol

Posted this on what appears to be a split topic to this. 

The more I think about this the more I am thinking this could actually be a great idea! ;D

Any updates on your build (The original or newer version?)

LeWren

Feb 06, 2012, 03:54 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2012, 06:41 pm by LeWren
I like the idea of the Tardis next to a shed, but since he's trying to go for that "not a shed" shed look I'd say have one half be the Tardis and the other look like a stack of crates(shipping containers) or something!  Could even brand the "crate" with BadWolf or what ever you wish, this would give the Tardis its due without it looking like a shed grew out its side.

Boy I like this idea, might take a stab at it myself..

Modified Sorvans design a bit..

TARDIS_with_shed.jpg

Thinking the door hinges on the sides and splits between the two "Halfs", maybe have the crates open Barn style (top and bottom can open independently.)

gerzah

Feb 13, 2012, 04:05 pm #11 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2012, 04:35 pm by gerzah
Hi guys,

thanks for your input. First of all I'd like to say sorry for being awfully quiet over the last few weeks. Please don't misinterpret this as disinterest - just a lot of things are currently going on around and inside the house (mostly maintenance stuff like fireplace drilling, window sealing ... stuff that inevitably pushes the task of TARDIS building down the pile. But it's gonna happen, I promise!

Re- your posts: My wife's eyes really lit up when I told her about the idea to make the TARDIS kind of an extension building to a real garden shed. However, in that case we're back to square one, namely finding a factory-made garden shed that is both functional and looks good - and basically ripping it apart to attach the three-sided TARDIS to it, and then still looking good.

... Not to mention the notion of the costs of of building our own garden TARDIS-like shed in addition to buying a factory-made shed. I am sure that a TARDIS build costs a considerable amount of money - it's like paying twice, isn't it?

Beyond that, I'm not fully convinced that this would look too good. Where would we put the "TARDIS entrance"? On the front or on the side, on the left, on the middle, on the right, at the front, at the back? See illustrations (a) to (e).

TARDIS-Vorbau_klein.png

Another idea would be to completely rip the factory-made garden shed apart and make a mere two-sided TARDIS just a "corner-piece" of the garden shed - as if the TARDIS had simply materialized in this very spot -- see illustration (f). But I've never really seen a TARDIS do that, right? :-)

... And just one last addition re- the "Bad Wolf" container crates: Yeah, truly intriguing. But this concept lacks a lot of the necessary WAF, the "wife's acceptance factor". Sorry, a TARDIS in the garden is really cool, but graffiti crates are certainly not. Not even I like that idea, and I wouldn't want to explain this to the neighborhood either. ;-)

lespaceplie

I prefer option (f). You could always clad the shed in copper and place a few odd hexagonal plastic pot "roundels" per the current set design.

With only a corner Tardis, you could have the two sides hinged on edge as doors to create a sufficient opening for practically any lawn devices.

DoctorWho8

To add to that, you can still have regular TARDIS doors for normal ins and outs and split open the TARDIS diagonally to get larger items in and out.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

mulla

Think of the future!  any of your three-sided options seem the best to me..
That way, as i mentioned before, should you want to move the tardis away from the shed, you only have to fill in one side!

Trust me, the amount of hours you're going to spend on this thing you will want to keep it forever. luckily it's big enough to be used as a coffin!  If i don't start making some headway on my build soon, I think I'm going to have to take up that option... ;D