Apr 20, 2024, 02:13 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Phill's Workshop Tardis

Started by hallam, Jan 28, 2012, 04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hallam

Jan 28, 2012, 04:43 pm Last Edit: Jan 28, 2012, 04:43 pm by hallam
Having completed a NSD dalek, I am at the planning stage for a Tardis. This is to fit inside the corridor between my basement workshop and the rest of the house.

The corridor is 58 inches wide by 91 inches high. It gets a wider at the top on one side but not the other. This is where it will live when it is not going to conventions etc.

So what I was thinking of doing was to build it in sections and leave the base and roof sections off when it is on display at home. So what I am looking for is a Tardis model that is 58 inches post to post and has posts 91 inches in length.

One option I am considering is to use the new series materials and paint but the old series design. The Tardis changes so frequently that it it might well end up in that configuration some day anyway. I prefer the old style corners with the moulding inserts.

On the materials front, I am thinking of white oak. Even if the authentic was a softwood, any wood that is going to spend any time outside really needs to be hardwood.

This is what will be inside (Photo Tony Finan):

6718443847_07b1698456_z.jpg

hallam

Went down to Home Depot today and looked into prices of select Pine.

Home depot is far from my preferred supplier, but I am not sure Anderson McQuaid stocks softwoods(!) Prices at HD for select pine are definitely higher than for white oak. But white oak may not show up the distressed grain effect.

Boulter Plywood stocks 1/4" ply in select pine veneer. so three sheets (two for panels, 1 for roof) at $65

Rough budget so far:

Wood  $1000
Paint $200
Hinges etc $100
Hardware (lock etc) $100
Lamp $100
Glass $100

Total $1600

Main concern at the moment is working out how to fit it in the basement. Although the ceiling is 91.5", there is a place where I have 94" which should be enough to tip the posts up on end.

Since the main display point is going to be in the middle of a corridor, I am going to make the box with two sets of doors, front and rear. I am also thinking that making all the doors in frame and panel construction is going to make most sense. It is not much more effort to run through 16 doors than 8 and it saves a set up.

I have not worked out how to fit the rails to the stiles either. The proper way would be to do a tenon on the stile that fits into the slot for the panel. But that is a lot of work.

Might need to think of using 1" thick stock rather than 3/4" for the frames.

Still wondering whether white oak or pine is the way to go.

Volpone

Well, you're skill level is definitely above mine, so I'm afraid I can offer no advice, just encouragement. :)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.