Mar 29, 2024, 06:19 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

What did you use?

Started by dustyfro, Jun 29, 2009, 05:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyfro

Jun 29, 2009, 05:26 am Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:26 am by scarfwearer
Since no one else is using this sub-board, I might as well.  What kind of material did you use for your window frames?  I just have to make a flat grid, as the windows are one piece of plastic each, instead of individual panes.  I was thinking of using balsa wood, but then I remembered blowing about $25 on balsa to make a shoji lantern that ended up breaking really easily.  Do hardware stores usually sell pieces that are only 1/4 wide?
x Hannah

Scarfwearer

Jun 29, 2009, 01:09 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:27 am by scarfwearer
I used a ¾" wide by ¼" thick moulding, probably fir, though I can't remember.
I cut notches in it by nibbling with a table saw so that the crossings lie flat (though a router would probably work better). I held it all together with wood glue.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture.

You can get mouldings in a lot of different sizes in places like Home Depot or Lowes.

Some people have taken a piece of ¼" MDF sheet and cut the individual panes out.

Others have cut the strips and glued them directly to the window panes, which will work better with plastic than with glass, unless you choose a glue that works well on glass.

Crispin

Scarfwearer

Jun 29, 2009, 03:09 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:27 am by scarfwearer
Talking of very small mouldings: you can often find really small cross-section pieces with the doweling or with the other beadings and mouldings at places like Home Depot.

I've also found lots of useful small parts at craft stores like Ben Franklin or Michaels. Hobby shops of the kind where you get plastic aircraft kits often have small dimension wood parts.

Crispin

dustyfro

Jul 01, 2009, 05:08 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:27 am by scarfwearer
My dear uncle ripped some 1x4s of hemlock into about 5/16s by 5/16s.  I had to individually measure each window because they are OFF of course.  I don't think the notches are within my skill level on a saw, so I'm going to try to butt them together with superglue on a grid drawn onto paper and hope for the best.  I really hope they fit in the windows.  If not, is there a recommended gap filler after it's already been painted?
x Hannah

autobond

The material I used is the same piece of wood for the door. I just carved the frame out with a router, drummel, chisel, and pick. I am not very good with wood and when I tried to use trim to making the window frame but I never liked the seems I kept running into. So carving the frame out is very hard especially if you have thinned out the back for glass. I was able to over come that by putting some plastic to in place of the glass, gluing it with rubber cement to the wood. Then carve out the window frames. Once I was done, I removed the plastic and inserted the glass.
If you listen closely, and ignore the humans, the planet is quite calm.

fedora

For my tardis build i used mdf for the frame and instead of glass i bought perspex which i found easyer to cut and glued it onto the frames once the were set in the doors after leaving them to dry for 24hrs i then sanded the perpex until you could neither see in or out then painted the middle panel at the bottom blue.
But it was just a police box !