Apr 19, 2024, 09:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Why the hell are there no police boxes in call the midwife

Started by domvar, Jan 22, 2012, 09:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

domvar

BBC drama set in the east end of london in the 40's, not a single blue box in sight it's not like the bbc are short of them

tardiseslorry.jpg

Fardels Bear

It's actually set in the 1950s.  You could argue that the drama only really shows a narrow number of locations in the East End which don't happen to have a police box.
Actually, I've been quite surprised at how good the programme is. I was expecting something twee, and a bit naff like Heartbeat, but it a lot more grittier.  The nuns are great! ;D
"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

galacticprobe

Jan 23, 2012, 08:09 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2012, 08:09 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Fardels Bear on Jan 23, 2012, 06:46 am
...The nuns are great! ;D

I'm afraid I have to side with Father Jack Hackett on this one:

"NUNS!? AAAAAAAAHH!"<crashes through window and runs screaming into the distance>

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

domvar

Quote from: Fardels Bear on Jan 23, 2012, 06:46 am
It's actually set in the 1950s.  You could argue that the drama only really shows a narrow number of locations in the East End which don't happen to have a police box.
Actually, I've been quite surprised at how good the programme is. I was expecting something twee, and a bit naff like Heartbeat, but it a lot more grittier.  The nuns are great! ;D

I thought it was  1948/9, well close enough.

I think the number of streets we have seen now there should have been at least 1, line of sight patrolling etc.

exleo

warmcanofcoke

Jan 24, 2012, 12:28 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2012, 12:32 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: domvar on Jan 22, 2012, 09:14 pm
BBC drama set in the east end of london in the 40's, not a single blue box in sight it's not like the bbc are short of them

tardiseslorry.jpg

where is this photo from? these look like Newbery boxes ... - 11 boxes? is this for the anniversary?
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

domvar

They are Matt Smith boxes they were spotted on the way out of bbc wales heading towards Bristol at the end of last year, no one seems to have any further info.

Other than there are actually 22 of them as the lorry was stacked 2 deep.

domvar

I'd be willing to bet they are in the USA by now.

timerotor

They are undersized 'small' lightweight replicas, for promotion.
If you look at the size of them and compare them to the drivers cabin, they are only about 6 or 7 ft tall.
The actual Tardis props would be the same hight as the top of the drivers cabin (more or less)
Timerotor :)
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

slidin_sidewayz

Who took the original photo? Was it them who said that they were stacked 2 deep? If it's the bases we can see, then it could have been 11 full-sized boxes laying down.

domvar

You can see they are stood up from the police box signs poking out of the top, they are also full size as that lorry container is 10ft tall (that lorry cab has sleeping quarters and the door alone is 8 ft

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2009/12/dwn011210222808-tardises-in-transit.html

Was covered on here at the time:-

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2403.0

exleo

Actually Timerotor is correct in his sizing, the lorry shown is a 40ft Ad Size lorry,or Jumbo as they are known and the container size is 40ft long, by, 8ft high (external, only 7.5ft high internally), by 7.5ft wide, so these are indeed 'Dwarf' Police boxes.....
:)

slidin_sidewayz

Hmmmm... It does pay to look properly sometimes.  :P Indeed you can see the sign boxes sticking out at the top, so I'd have to agree that they surely can't be full size. Mine would never fit under that trailer roof. You just have to look at the size of the truck cab to see how short they are. Playground toys?

domvar

Etherway there is no excuse for the lack of police boxes in period dramas