Apr 20, 2024, 02:32 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:8.47 Newbery Model

Started by lespaceplie, Jan 22, 2012, 02:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

No it never did.  But who is to say it shouldn't be? :)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudoff

lespaceplie

It will be getting some extra lighting for sure. As for the other classic era props, it seems the lighting was intermittent at best. The Newbery prop really needed lighting if you ask me. Imagine how much better it would've looked in the fog of The Horror of Fang Rock.

On a related note, I'm modeling the fresnel with 3 posts and white paint. My dad is going to lathe a piece of acrylic for it.

Mark

All these people with lathes! I'm so jealous.

You are right about Fang Rock. That would have been so good to have the TARDIS lights showing through the fog.

Come to think about it, did the TYJ box ever light up (other than the lamp?)

lespaceplie

My record of completion of anything that isn't a scarf has not been too good, but at long last, I'm blowing the dust off this and resuming the project.

DoctorWho8

Yay! Now you can knit a TARDIS! ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

museumdave

Absolutely love the luminescent wire.. It is FANTASTIC

Looking forward to seeing more about your build

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

handofomega

I have a question and don't shoot me over my ignorance.  Is styrene the same as the foam sheet insulation things you can buy at home improvement warehouses?    ::)

deck5

Made of the same stuff, but as different as wood and sawdust.  Polystyrene sheet is a hard, flat, shiny stuff.  Polystyrene foam -- the insulation -- is just that, a foam.  Soft and easily broken.

handofomega

Thank you.  But it could be made into a temporary Police Box exterior for a weekend con maybe???  Not trying to hi-jack the thread just curious because I had no idea what styrene was

deck5

Maybe.  Spraypaint dissolves it, you need special glue, and it doesn't take much weight, but it might do for a weekend if you're careful, and keep it indoors.

lespaceplie

Quote from: handofomega on Sep 06, 2013, 01:54 am
Thank you.  But it could be made into a temporary Police Box exterior for a weekend con maybe???  Not trying to hi-jack the thread just curious because I had no idea what styrene was

You might take an interest in this old thread where we were just starting to get ideas about a laminated foam prop:
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3315.msg37730#msg37730

DoctorWho8

You could also try and glue sheets of cardboard on it too instead of thin pieces of wood.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

lespaceplie

Nearly a year after promising to restart this model, I am once again motivated! It would be great if I could complete something, and this box of plastic is just crying out to be Tardis-shaped. The fan vid project is sufficient motivation.

I'll expand the informal version of the parts breakdown seen earlier in the thread. This should serve as a guide to anyone else who wants to make a 1:8 Newbery replica.

lespaceplie

Jan 23, 2017, 10:27 pm #28 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 10:58 pm by lespaceplie
The scale has changed, but the project is the same. It really has been pitiful in progress, but this one is quickly becoming necessary for the elusive fan video. The recreated Bernard Lodge titles will get a more accurate Tardis for the time, which would have been just the thing for S14-S17. I still have the EL wire so non-original illumination is still happening.

kert gantry

As a serial non-finisher of TARDIS builds myself, I'd say don't beat yourself up about it too much. That thing they call real life has a tendency to get in the way.

That said, I really like the sound of this; a Newbery at roughly CO action figure size. Good luck with it and hope you'll post up some lip smacking pics as and when!