News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My Tennant and Eccleston Sonic Builds

Started by anakin starkiller, Dec 20, 2011, 10:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

anakin starkiller

Dec 20, 2011, 10:47 pm Last Edit: Dec 20, 2011, 10:50 pm by anakin starkiller
Hey guys,

I recently got a new camera, and I thought I'd start breaking it in by firing off a couple shots of some of my recent Tennant and Eccleston sonic screw builds.  Please do not share these pics or re-post them on any other website.

img2669fu.jpg
img2671j.jpg
img2673of.jpg
img2675co.jpg
img2677pi.jpg
img2681g.jpg
img2683ha.jpg
img2684wk.jpg
img2686i.jpg
img2689k.jpg
img2694v.jpg
img2695m.jpg

Thanks

Dan
ddstokes@aol.com

galacticprobe

Dec 21, 2011, 08:13 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 21, 2011, 08:17 am by galacticprobe
Wow! Very find builds! The Tennant version looks spot on, as does the Eccleston version.

Does the Eccleston sonic slide at all, or did you build two versions: retracted and extended? I only ask because there is no slider slot on the sonic in your photos and the button is in the same place on both versions. It was seen all three ways during Eccleston's tenure as the 9th Doctor, both as you've shown it here, and with a wide slot for the button which functioned as the slider as well as activating the light. So I'm very curious as to which approach you took with your Eccleston version.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Thumping excelent builds! I try to stay away from what I call "Sonic Wars", but, of course, despite that, CT publically stated you'd done a good job, and considering the relationship between the two of you, praise dosen't come higher than that!
As Dino said, your Tennant looks pretty much spot on the money, and I like that you've included the yellow wires rather than the frosted channel. The paint has also been excelently applied, too! Mind if I ask though, does it have the channel spacer? Doesn't appear to in the earlier pics, but does in the later ones?
The Ecclestone one is also beautiful, but a lick of Tennant in the end bulb and head? Intentional or not, I like it that way! You've done the body brilliantly, I especially love how you have applied the paint (I can't get Plasticote right for some reason, the crackles are always really uneven), the ridges are nicely shaped, ans special compliments on that activation button. Never seen it done like that before, looks very accurate and well made.
Keep up the excelent work, and Happy Holidays! ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

anakin starkiller

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 21, 2011, 08:13 am
Does the Eccleston sonic slide at all, or did you build two versions: retracted and extended? I only ask because there is no slider slot on the sonic in your photos and the button is in the same place on both versions.

The Eccleston/Tennant Aztec sonic (the second one shown)  does slide in and out.  You pull the head out or in, and it is held in place by pressure from an o-ring inside. One cool thing about this prop is, in order to engineer a way for the prop to extend and retrack, and not interfer with the wires connecting the side button. I built into the model some interior channels that would be impossible to make by conventional machining, but I had the body done on a high res rapid prototype machine which could go beyond the engineering limitations of a mill or lathe.

Superrichi1a,  I just haven't yet added the channel spacer to that prop.  I'll get around to it in a couple days.  I need to replace the set screws in the back too.  But, as to the frosted channel.  It is frosted a little, it just depends on lighting whether you can see through it or not--like the original prop. Also, as to the Eccleston prop--remember that this version was a workhorse and was reused a lot.  The replaced a couple things on it along the way, like the tac switch, and a couple other details.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

-best

Dan

greatwazoo42

I've said it before and I'll say it again: every time I look at these pictures I could swear I'm looking at the real props.  You really nailed it totally dead, bang on with all three.