Apr 19, 2024, 08:47 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

a new police box

Started by atomicgraph, Jul 27, 2007, 11:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Aug 19, 2008, 03:21 am #165 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 12:29 pm by scarfwearer
Lovely box there. The paint job/ dirtying up really works. :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

atomicgraph

Aug 19, 2008, 11:01 am #166 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 12:29 pm by scarfwearer
thanks guys :). i hate to say it but i'm thinking of redoing the paint just because the texture chips pretty easy i'm afraid to leave it outside because if it rains it'll melt like the witch in the wizard of oz :( . i'll probably brush over the whole box with screen printing emulsion. the emulsion hardens into a plastic when exposed to light/sun so i think this would be a perfect solution for weather proofing. i use a product called "photo blu" at work the down side is, that emulsion is $70 a gallon. it'll last forever though once i do it.

pod

Sep 26, 2008, 06:34 pm #167 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 12:29 pm by scarfwearer
That glass you found is the exact one i found too, and I've gotta tell ya, it's the closest modern equivalent there is, as far as I know. As you say, it's not EXACTLY perfect, and I still scour builders wreckers for the real thing too, but it's so close nobody who isn't a member of this board would ever know!

atomicgraph

May 20, 2011, 12:03 am #168 Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:05 am by Scarfwearer
hello all, to tally inspired by this thread by timerotor http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2390.0  and the wonderful paint job he did,  i realized that my tardis is lookin pretty rough these days. its time for a refurb.
tardis referb.jpg

here is the way my tardis looked a couple weeks ago. it does a lot of traveling and gets scuffed up all the time. i usually just touch up the paint, but over time i've lost window panels broken the inside window frames in spots, dropped the fresnel lens twice the first time the back section broke off but for the most part it was whole, second time was a complete loss of the lens. needless to say its in rough shape.
gappy base .jpg

here is my base when i built it i never filled in the joins so it was pretty lazy lookin my sign boxes are the same way.

bondo base.jpg
first up was to fill in the gaps, i used bondo because thats what i had at hand and the stuff is very durable. i put it on with a putty knife and didn't worry about getting smooth i wanted to keep the texture. the texture i had before scrapped off easy from walking inside so i'm hoping that the bondo will hold up better.

bondo all over.jpg
while i had the bondo out i want ahead and put it all over the box in the creases on the posts to give it that rotting concrete look and also around the wall stiles pretty much applied by hand (wearing gloves of course) then just patted it so it got these lifted up edges

paint contrast.jpg
i also had some spray texture that my whole tardis is covered with. this stuff looks great but is real chalky feelin and gets scuffed up way to easy. i almost wish that i hadn't used it the first time and used a spray on bed liner product instead... but either way thats what i've got to work with so i used it again to touch up a couple spots. my tardis has just one shade of blue with a dirty wash over that to give it a worn look, but after reading timerotors build he used 5 different shades to achieve his effect and it looks stunning. so looked around the shop to see what i had and i found a qt of blue that was lighter and more vibrant than my original tardis blue, so i'm just gonna be workin with two shades of blue. this photo shows the contrast between the two pretty good... never realized just how dark my tardis is.

various stages.jpg
just another shot of of the work in progress. i went over the whole box with the lighter blue keeping it splotchy looking. my goal is to high light the areas that stick out to give it a natural sun faded look  like the tops of the sign boxes  and roof would be lighter than the bottom half of the sign boxes or under neth the sign boxes. then i'd go back over it with the dark blue in the corners and creases.

faded texture post.jpg
to the left is what i'm wanting the final paint to look like. dark blue and dirty wash in the pits on the texture and the raised texture gets a dry brush faded effect. i'm not to the stage of doing this all over the box yet, just a test of the technic to see how it'll look. and i also ran out of the light blue before i could complete the roof.

faded texture.jpg
another random shot while painting

front almost finished.jpg
this is where i'm at the front is mostly finished (except the roof still has my original tardis blue i can't get over how dark and dull that looks). after i get the whole box somewhat the same color i'll start adding the dirty wash, but first i need to get another qt of the light blue

drew30

i like the color and looks of your tardis. very nice looking. great build you have there.

notard4u

Yes--agreed!  I've commented before on the is replica & its proportions (even though its slightly under-sized).  Everything 'works' so well and all the parts seem to 'fit' just a bit better in comparison.  The color & texturing on this re-vamp/restoration is excellent. I WANT one!!  :) 

atomicgraph

Thanks you guys! I have an open week end so hopefully I can get the paint finished and maybe start working on the windows

rasilon1

very nice Tardis, would love to have that texture.

atomicgraph

Thank you rassilon, the texture isn't very durable, looks authentic but scraps up pretty easy. I'd like to see someone use a truck bedliner spray, I'd give it a try but I'd have to sand everything back to the bare wood and that's just to much work for me to justify.

handofomega

truck bedliner spray....  BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!   I was going to look into the textured spray paints but this idea sounds great!!!

atomicgraph

I wish I could take credit for it but I read someone on this board a while back had mentioned it. I thought it sounded like an excellent idea to. I'm not sure who said it or what thread it's in.... Just illustrates how much info and great ideas there are floating around on the board

atomicgraph

well i finally finished the paint.
[attachid]tardis brown.jpg[/attachid]
i'm using 2 blues i tried to keep the dark blue in the creases and the lighter on the edges that stick out, to create a faded look. for the dirty wash i'm using two colors, brown and black. i started with the brown that i used all over the box. just some brown acrylic paint watered down then sprayed with a spray bottle. i kept a rag to wipe up any runs and any other spots that got to heavy. then i went on and added the black with the black spray i try to focus that along the bottom and in heavily shaded areas to simulate where dirt and mold would accumulate, from sitting out for 900 years. [attachid]tardis bluing.jpg[/attachid]
[attachid]tardis blue.jpg[/attachid]
after the dirty wash i went back over the box with my two blues with just enough paint on the brush for a dry brush effect. dark blue in the creases and light blue on the parts that stick out.
[attachid]finished paint.jpg[/attachid]
now onto fixing the windows. and i still need a new Fresnel.

atomicgraph

Oct 19, 2011, 02:07 pm #177 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 02:08 pm by atomicgraph
not sure why my pictures didn't post.... here they are
tardis blue.jpg
tardis bluing.jpg
tardis brown.jpg
tardis blue.jpg
tardis bluing.jpg
finished paint.jpg
today i'm getting new glass, i'm gonna stop at the antique shop and buy on of there windows of pebble glass they probably have 20-30 of them sitting right by the door, and its 20 bucks a window

geminitimelord

Atomic, class A build. The Refurb looks like she is going well.

Curious where will she eventually be showcased?

atomicgraph

I set in the cordernates for the local comic con this weekend. I just got finished repairing the windows that was the part I was dreading. But she'll look good for the show except for the fresnel lens.