Apr 20, 2024, 07:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Sound FX

Started by rob49152, Dec 06, 2011, 07:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fardels Bear

As an aside, the commercial audio wing of the BBC AudioGo have re-released a couple of albums which contain Doctor Who special effect sounds.

The 1981 compilation:

http://www.audiogo.co.uk/audiobook/32339/essential-sci-fi-sound-effects-volume-1

Track list as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sound_Effects_No._26_%E2%80%93_Sci-Fi_Sound_Effects

And the 1978 compilation out in Febuary:

http://www.audiogo.co.uk/audiobook/32951/doctor-who-sound-effects-vintage-beeb

Tracks are in the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sound_Effects_No._19_%E2%80%93_Doctor_Who_Sound_Effects

I had both originals on cassette, and wore them both out! Sad really :P

"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

slidin_sidewayz

That lovely hum.... That's what I want mine to do. Some friends looked at my box recently and when I fired up the lamp on top, commented that it needed to make the dematerialisation sound. But I have a problem with that. Namely, if it made that sound whilst flashing it's lamp on top, it'd then have to subsequently disappear! Sadly my building skills don't extend to inter-dimensional physics. However, the hum that made the very first TARDIS in the very first episode appear ' alive' would be cool. A nice soft vibration would be the icing on the cake.

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2011, 05:04 am #32 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2011, 05:05 am by galacticprobe
When you flash the lamp on top you could always use the malfunctioning Demat sound from the first Pertwee story, "Spearheads from Space". That was a great 'TARDIS breakdown' sound. Then your TARDIS wouldn't disappear, and you could have that same frustrated, puzzled look on your face as Pertwee used to get. (Gets you around that inter-dimensional physics problem.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

slidin_sidewayz

Heh heh, yeah, complete with clouds of smoke AND the disappearing prop guy.  ;D

galacticprobe

Dec 15, 2011, 03:32 am #34 Last Edit: Dec 15, 2011, 03:35 am by galacticprobe
A small fog machine would give you a good smoke effect with just a short burst, and some of those are relatively inexpensive. (Of course you need to be parked where there is power available for the fogger, and an opening or such to get a power cord into your TARDIS.) The vanishing prop guy? Well, you might have to solve that one on your own ;).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rmef2

Can anyone convert these files to WAV or MP3/4?  Please?

DoctorWho8

There are some MP3's in one of the folders.  It also includes the current TARDIS hum from the New Series.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

deck5

DarthMoose74

I could not open the file, but 15 minutes later the file opened fine. Weird. Great sound effects! Thanks for turning them into .wavs

atomicgraph

thanks for the conversion deck 5, and thanks again to rob for sharing these, they're fantastic.

galacticprobe

Dec 18, 2011, 08:05 pm #40 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2011, 08:05 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: atomicgraph on Dec 18, 2011, 01:38 pm
thanks for the conversion deck 5, and thanks again to rob for sharing these, they're fantastic.

Ditto! (What more can I say? It's already been said. ;))

Dino.

rmef2

Lungman

:o :o :o OMG!!! I have been after these sounds for YEARS! I've been trawling DVDs, the Internet, and I've even tried to make my own on Audition!

Rob, what can I say...THANK YOU SO MUCH! Now I don't have to sit by my computer waiting for Mark Ayres to (never) reply to my emails!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Now...back to working on the console...

;D ;D ;D

rob49152

Quote from: Lungman on Dec 19, 2011, 11:57 am
Rob, what can I say...THANK YOU SO MUCH! Now I don't have to sit by my computer waiting for Mark Ayres to (never) reply to my emails!

If I remember correctly I snagged these from Marks shared folder on the FTP server. But like Stevie Wonder singing in 1814 you must never tell him!! shhhh

Lungman

Mum's the word, Rob.  ;) I totally respect that...and your work.

Thanks again!  ;D