Apr 18, 2024, 07:55 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

'Pyramids of Mars" TARDIS interior

Started by BeeblePete, Nov 16, 2011, 07:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeblePete

Nov 16, 2011, 07:59 am Last Edit: Oct 26, 2013, 01:31 am by mechanoid
I have enough distant friends and relations that spending time in Second Life is a genuine social activity. Where better to meet them than in my very own TARDIS?

An SL TARDIS can also be used for travel. Entering the TARDIS basically teleports the passenger to a 'skybox' TARDIS interior, placed hundreds of metres up. From there, a destination can be chosen. Once more via teleport, passengers emerge from the TARDIS exterior at the new location.

The TARDIS in Pyramids of Mars is my favourite, so I did up a rough Season 13 floor plan to use as a starting point. It's described in detail over in a reference topic:

Season 13 floor plans

TARDIS floorplan 4G, rough.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Here are some references for you from the Tragical History Tour.
I had never realised how asymetrical this room was before now :)

d4-4h-057.jpg

d4-4g-c023.jpg

d4-4g-c025.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

BeeblePete

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Nov 21, 2011, 06:07 pm
Here are some references for you from the Tragical History Tour.
I had never realised how asymetrical this room was before now :)

Fantastic, thanks!  :)

Making the room more symmetrical will probably help when I get the nerve up to attempt building that canopy...

- Pete

BeeblePete

Nov 24, 2011, 04:05 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2013, 12:45 pm by petertheta
Quote from: rob49152 on Nov 22, 2011, 04:20 am
I started work on re-building the hartnell TARDIS console with more detail.

Since I've been doing floor plans for my own build I sketched up an idealised Hartnell floorplan.

The result is really satisfying: the occupants get a little more crash space, the workshop is more of a workshop and conceivably a countertop could be added next to the food machine. The walls would look kind of long, however.

- Pete

TARDIS floorplan 1C, idealised.jpg

handofomega

Looking at this idealized plan you can imagine how it could have changed from the Hartnell style to the changes it went to for Troughton.   Very interesting.  I would love to see it realized virtually.

BeeblePete

Quote from: handofomega on Nov 24, 2011, 08:04 pm
I would love to see it realized virtually.

At the very least you'll see this idea applied to the later control room I'm building. There's the makings of a modular architecture system there but the sides of the hexagons are a bit long compared to the original...

Gotta get back to NC before long - I made my fan films there and my peeps keep inviting me back :)

- Pete

exleo

why not change your camera position so it is lower at just above head height, you can do it in the preferences menu, adjust height and tilt so you are just looking over your head rather than down on yourself :)

BeeblePete

Quote from: exleo on Nov 25, 2011, 04:34 pm
why not change your camera position :)

I think it's unprepared passengers I'd worry most about. But I am really leaning more toward clearance heights instead of camera heights.

lespaceplie

Ah, but there is a scanner for Season 13. It's on the console itself! At least, I believe that was the plan. It's a pity that it was never utilised as such. In fact, it wasn't used at all until it was totally redesigned as a terminal for "Castrovalva."

galacticprobe

Nov 28, 2011, 06:10 am #9 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2011, 06:15 am by galacticprobe
I've looked through all of the reference photos and I think that "scanner" on the console in Season 13 is much the same as the one used from Season 15 on (until its revamp for "Castrovalva"). It almost looks like the only major difference between Season 13 and 15 is the loss of that small "hood" that partially surrounded the screen.

But you're right; it's a huge shame they never made use of it, even via blue/green screen FX (like they did with the Season 14 wall screen) if they didn't have the budget, or room, to put an actual monitor or TV behind it. The screen area was certainly large enough to have been of good use.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BeeblePete

Quote from: galacticprobe on Nov 28, 2011, 06:10 am
It's a huge shame they never made use of it.

If there's any record of what the DW team intended I'd sure dig the citation. The joystick there seems more like a navigation aid to me than a camera control. What I do have is a strong interest in adding some visual interest to the nonexistent walls  :)

BeeblePete

Nov 29, 2011, 07:15 pm #11 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2013, 01:42 am by petertheta
A Boolean method susses out shapes and where they intersect and gives a choice about what to leave behind. The practical upshot of which is if you stick a cylindrical shape through a wall shape you can get roundels and such.

As I'm a beginner, this may take some time...

inter.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Nov 29, 2011, 10:52 pm #12 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2011, 10:53 pm by rassilonsrod
I dunno what software you're using, but I've been through this bit myself recently and the problem I had was that maya freaked out with a model like this.

It refused to bevel the rings properly without filling in the holes again... In the end, made one roundel and duplicated it.

Looking again... Is that Maya, actually?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

BeeblePete

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Nov 29, 2011, 10:52 pm
Looking again... Is that Maya, actually?

It's Maya and it has indeed freaked out. I got to within one cylinder difference of success at one point, then it just closes up all the holes. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to master bridging round edges out to the box edges...

kert gantry

To backtrack a little, I really like your Hartnell floorplan; especially what you've done with the workshop area.

Also, it appeals because I never really dug the idea of the TARDIS being infinitely huge inside, which I suppose began with Masque of Mandragora.  The Hartnell interior feels a lot more homely; big, yes, but managably so.  There's a lovely line in David Whitaker's novel of The Daleks where Ian describes the control room as being "the breadth and width of a middle-sized restaurant."