News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tardis Wardrobe

Started by trace3005, Oct 25, 2011, 12:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trace3005

Oct 25, 2011, 12:55 pm Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 01:08 pm by trace3005
Hi All,
Just starting my project, which technically isn't a Tardis, but is a Tardis wardrobe!
My son has decided he wants one for Christmas ( he is 6, and Santa can do woodwork), and so I have started the build.
I am not mimicking any specific version (although I am hoping it is closer to Matt Smiths as he is now the best Doctor ever), but rather a generic looking Tardis.
It will be a two sided project, fastened to a wall on the left and back right, and only up to the light boxes, so no tricky roof to build.
I have sourced a light unit that reacts to sound and will be fitting this and a speaker to the inside to allow it to flash in time to the sound of the Tardis. I have an old stereo and will connect that up.
So, started the other night, and have so far completed the majority of one door and the frame of one wall.
I am building the doors out of MDF overlaid with wood, and the walls with a MDF sheet cut and stuck onto another sheet, the wall will be hidden by the bedroom door most of the time.
I am having to build it in the garage and then come Christmas Eve I will rebuild in the bedroom.

warmcanofcoke

The Lion, the Witch, and the Tardis  ;D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

trace3005

Haven't posted for ages now, but here we go.
Since last post I have built the doors for the front, the side panel, sign boxes and completed the base. Posts are also constructed. The doors were built from a flat sheet of MDF with wood attached to create panels and the windows cut out. I then glued cross pieces in to creat window frames. the side panel is just 2 MDF sheets, one with panels cut out and window removed nd framed. Top boxes were made from wood cut onut to allow a wrap round the posts. Everything was then primed undercoated and finally, last night, after much checking of colours (luckily my wife is a colour matcher and had access to technology that did this and picked the closest Dulux Eggshell paint) I have painted one door, one side and the base, also attached hinges to the doors. As previously mentioned this is going to be a wardrobe fro my 6 year old, so Eggshell seemed like the strongest option. Just waiting now for the perspex to arrive for the top signs![attachid]2011-11-16 20.04.00.jpg[/attach]doors and box.jpgtop boxes.jpg

trace3005

sign.jpgGot the perspex for the sighns and completed them last night, using Decals from Outlaw Custom Designs, www.outlawcustomdesigns.com, and I have to say that although I was almost dubious, despite Richard at Outlaw being fantastically supportive and helpful, they look fantastic. It suddenly feels like I have a Tardis on my hands!

trace3005

Well after a 7 hour, 'just fasten bits together' session, planned at about 4 hours, finally got the Tardis in place in my sons bedroom, the night before Christmas Eve.Christmas eve was then just an electrics and finish off affair, another 4 hours!
But Christmas morning we were the parents of one very, very impressed 6 year old, who would now like to live in his fully flashing and noise producing Tardis!
Now waiting to see what he asks for next Christmas!tardis.jpg

rocket

Damn kids have it good these days ;)
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.