Mar 29, 2024, 11:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Mar 17, 2013, 05:16 am #405 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2013, 05:21 am by kiwidoc
Here's a pic - I figured it was the only useful way to contribute hard data to this conversation.  If we agree that it's the right unit or cousin to the right unit I'll measure and photograph properly and post info to the 2005 console thread.

cheers, glenb2013-03-17_18-10-54_635.jpg

And the original:

sheilds light.jpg

DoctorWho8

Looks like a good match to me. Just need the brass collar around it and you're good to go.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Mar 17, 2013, 10:23 pm #407 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2013, 10:23 pm by galacticprobe
Why couldn't they make tap lights with those domes in the US?! >:(

They really do look perfect. As for that "brass" collar on top, I'm thinking maybe a certain area trimmed off of an old plastic funnel would work to get the conical shape (and no seam showing). Then a little glue and some discs punched from sheet styrene plastic via a hole punch to get those six bumpies on the collar. Gold or brass spray paint after that for a nice smooth finish and BINGO!

Great on remembering those lights, Glen (and remembering where you'd put them!). And it's beyond kind offering one to Dave for his console. It's this sort of thing that makes me speechless, and proud to be part of this Forum! :)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Mar 18, 2013, 01:47 am #408 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2013, 02:35 am by museumdave
WOW- I was our Daughters Birthday this weekend - I go AFK for a day and stuff happens here....
Where to start.

Being part of this online group has been a new experience for me.  You spend Hours - literally hours pouring over images of .. Well let's say the 2005 console.  And you start to think to your self 'some cool people have shared these images.. and hey I have a pretty good handle on this thing'  You Identify a computer bit or two, maybe a sewing machine handle.. ' and you say to your self- I am almost, sort of, well not an expert, but a almost connoisseur of this console'... and then that thing you have been thinking of as a golf ball thingy- really looks like its a tap light- It had NEVER occurred to me.  AWESOME!

YOU GUYS BLOW ME AWAY!!!!
and then the offer of one of these from Glen...
Thank you I am truly touched.

I am humbled and grateful to share screen space with such a group of fine people.  Truly.
Wow

Thank you
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

museumdave

Mar 28, 2013, 09:50 pm #409 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 10:00 pm by museumdave
Hello all,
as aways thanks for the comments!
So just a quick update to shed some light on to what has been going on. Glen (kiwidoc) had offered a tap light to me- which is soooo cool of him, and truly appreciated.  
I didn't want to take undue advantage, and also thought that the cost of shipping from New Zeland to Canada - I did think that I had better have a pretty good look around local to see if I could find anything that would work.  I also checked out ebay.  

On ebay i found some that seem to have the right dimpled lens, but the main body was triangular. Local shops turned up nothing... until.  I came across thislarge taplite.jpg

So it is about twice the size that Glen described- and Glens does seem to be the right one. But I thought I could likely cut down the lens (cover) and put it on top of a smaller light with out too much trouble.

Using my 1" belt sander improperly as an abrasive cutting tool (love my belt sander) I was able to cut out a small section of the lens.large taplite bits.jpgtape lite lens.jpg

I went out and purchased a small tap light and some funnels (good idea Dino!) and was thinking about how best to put the bits together when I heard from our friend Dino- seems Glen found a source for those (seemingly right) tap lights in the USA. 
so why reinvent the wheel eh?  I have order some and understand that Dino will be posting the link in the reference section soon...
some times it does feel like two steps forward one step back, but we will get there.

More soon.

thanks for looking.

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

BioDoctor900

I've actually been able to find some in a local discount shop, 3 for £1.29, (I know having 3 is greedy :P ;D)

I was rather surprised to find them, will post some pics on my Console Diary tomorrow

BioDoctor900

museumdave

Hmmm Biodoctor900,
you confirm one of my suspicions that one of my problems one sourcing parts is geographical... Adapt and over come!  I owe Glen and Dino for this one. 

Looking forward to seeing an update of your build.

Cheers

M.D.

museumdave

Apr 05, 2013, 07:28 pm #412 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013, 02:26 am by museumdave
Greetings fellow time travelers,

It has been too long since I worked on the console.  
But today MY tap lights showed up in the post- Yippee!-  why should you get all the fun, Biodoctor....

lights.jpg

So I launched into it.  As per Dinos suggestion I used a funnel to  form the top angled bit.
lights2.jpg
ted to cut
The first Funnel I started to cut cracked on me so I started again with the smaller one.  I am really glad the funnels came in a set of 3.  The next time I used the handy dandy belt sander to trim the funnel.lights3.jpg

I added some thumb tacks and painted the base and angled bit.
lights4.jpg

After the two pieces were painted I glued them together... - and THEN I put batteries in and tested the light (what was I thinking) -always test before you mod-

It didn't work, but aster pulling the unit apart and fiddling with some connections I was able to get it to work kid of, but it is a bit like the TARDIS it self in that some times it will go on - it helps if you tap it in just the right spot and some times it seems it just doesn't feel like lighting up - so you might as well go have a cup of tea and try again latter ::)

lights5.jpglights6.jpg

Not sure why, but I have had a hard time getting this post to edit... but let me keep trying.
Here is the tap light on the panel with the 2 dents for the balls and some silicon spread around

lights7.jpglights8a.jpg

I was so pleased I also grabbed a small blue tinted organizing box I had picked up at a craft store and a small toggle switch that I had found recently at a country hard ware store and combined the two.  This is supposed to be one of the two control boxes from the trim phone panel.lights8b.jpglights9.jpg
control2.jpgcontrol1.jpg

Thanks for looking

M.D..

davidnagel

Nice adaptation to accommodate the slanted edge. I would have spent forever looking for an appropriate shaped bevel to get it perfect - good thing I never did make this console!
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Apr 06, 2013, 06:00 am #414 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013, 06:08 am by galacticprobe
M.D., dare I say it...

ENVY! (I so wish I could make this one font larger!)

I'm OTT to see that my idea with the funnel worked so beautifully. I mean, I always knew it would work, but I had no idea it would work that well! "Fantastic!" And those thumb tacks look perfect. I also like that organizer box. And if you ever want to go for more accuracy, I think Radio Shack still sells those "Project Boxes" in that translucent blue, and in sizes close to your organizer box. They also sell lighted toggle (or paddle) switches in blue and green.

Your work of art is turning into a living thing! And she's beautiful!

Dino.
P. S.
ENVY-ENVY-ENVY-ENVY-ENVY!
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the mister

museumdave

Apr 06, 2013, 04:12 pm #416 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013, 04:13 pm by museumdave
Stopped by the local re-store that has recycled building materials and goodies. Found some great little nozzles that will go great with hoses around panels. Plus they ad a couple of radio face plates. This one looks reasonable close to right. It will go on the rib with the sextant.
new restore.jpg

Plus here is the 'control box' on the panel. The scale feels close to right.
control on panel.jpg

Thanks for looking again

M.D.

timegalaxy5

looking awesome-er and awesome-er MD!!

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

galacticprobe

Apr 07, 2013, 05:02 am #418 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2013, 05:11 am by galacticprobe
Okay... I won't repeat my ENVY! in this one. (Oh... good grief; I just have! ;D) But needless to say she just keeps getting better and better! And I must say that braided ground strap looks superb stretched across that panel. ;)

I can't remember if I've asked this or not, M.D., but how is that Safe Combination Dial kitchen timer working? As in, does the timer work well? I've read mixed reviews on it and there's a 50-50 split; half hate it and say it's rubbish, half love it and say it works just fine. (And as the wife says, with reviews like that you can't trust any of them.) So I thought I would ask someone who actually has one.

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

Magnificent! I enjoy your ingenuity and attention for detail.  :)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.