Apr 18, 2024, 08:30 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timegalaxy5

Incredibly Amazing! Keep it going! This is a stunning example of a console!
;D ;D ;D

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

FloppyDiskNinja

I just nerded all over the floor. ;D

atomicgraph

wow that turned out really good your console is amazing.... what would you say about about 70% complete.... although these projects are never completely finished, it looks great

museumdave

Mar 05, 2013, 04:27 am #393 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2015, 04:23 am by museumdave
Hello All,

Thanks for the great comments- really encouraging- although floppydiskninja- A little disturbing: -[

Atomicgraph- I think you have it close to right 70% done.  Although it is feeling very close.  The panels don't seem to be too tricky so the only really big part is getting the time rotor in motion.  All in good time.

Not much for news.  We have just been playing around a bit.  I put the central column back up minus the rotor workings- it was a paint to put into place, but it looks so much more complete with it there...
Still re-installing the existing panels- tweaking a few bits.  

But just for fun this evening I took some staged photos- turned on lights,threw up some cables. I even used my old DAPOL police box- to take some photos through the door.  Just having some fun goofing around and thought I would share (brace your self Floppydiskninja)

just being silly realy, but thanks for looking

as always thanks for the comments and support..
Cheers

Dave
console.jpgphoto fun1.jpgphoto fun2.jpgphoto fun3.pg.jpg
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Mar 05, 2013, 06:11 am #394 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2013, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
Love those shots through the Dapol TARDIS doors! (That's one thing you can't do with the new Flight Control TARDISes. Hmm... wonder if that's how the SFX people felt when they permanently fixed the original Hartnell Brachacki TARDIS prop together after filming the pilot?)

Keep going, M.D.! I've run out of words to describe all of this, so I'll just have to think of something new...
SupercalifragilisticENVYalidocious!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

I love this <3 Looks awesome. Hope you consider throwing a pair of doors on this build one day. She is a fine lady can't wait to see her in person someday.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

FloppyDiskNinja

The awesomeness is overwhelming  ;D

the mister

museumdave

Mar 16, 2013, 01:36 am #398 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2013, 01:44 am by museumdave
Hello All,

And thank you very much for sharing your enthusiasm for a bit of photo fun!

So I am not entirely sure why, but it has been difficult to get to this build as of late.  Having said that I did finally get the 5th panel cut out and into place... Looking back it can be puzzling why something that only takes 15 minutes can be so hard to accomplish ::)

Any how.  It is done- the acrylic stills wants to crack on me through cutting, but I have learned to really slow down- cutting at around half of the feed speed that I really want to does seem to help a lot!

Anyhow it is in place- it still needs a glop coat of caulking and to be treated with a heat gun to create a dent to accommodate a ball - and this won't be done with the panel in place.
panel5.jpgpanel5 2.jpg

So just to give a hint of what this one will look like.  Here it is with a few hard drive spindles and things on.  Definitely need to make another trip to the Re-store to look for plumbing bits for this panel.

panel 5- rough layout.jpgpanel 5- rough layout2.jpg

More soon.

Thanks for looking and the great comments

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Mar 16, 2013, 04:53 am #399 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2013, 04:57 am by galacticprobe
Looking great, M.D. - really great! And I love your idea of using a heat gun to create the recess for the bubble globe ball. (Another technique I wouldn't have thought of!) Once the acrylic is heated and softened, the balls weight should "sink" it down to create the depression to the perfect shape. Brilliant!

And again...

ENVY!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

eddyc

Does Tony Stark know you're putting an ARC reactor on your Console?

museumdave

Hey Guys,
Thanks Dino-  I did use that same heat gun trick on what I want to call panel 1 to make a spot for the ball cover in the little circles of shell.  It works well- it means that you can twist the ball like a large dial with out having it roll off the panel- that with the glass one would be bad.

Eddy the ARC piece of kit is a bit of a stand in for the large golf ball looking button mounted in a brass collar.  At first I had thought to use it some where on the console- Got it at a dollar store- it lights up and makes noise... but with the release of subsequent films it is a little too easily Identifiable as Stark industries.. I may still use it, but not with out some significant cosmetic modifications.

Thanks

Dave

slidin_sidewayz

Was that the button that has was used as a communicator in Utopia and then just before the Titanic hits in Time Crash? I've seen them before somewhere.... Some kind of taplight?

galacticprobe

Mar 17, 2013, 04:08 am #403 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2013, 04:08 am by galacticprobe
It looks like one of those small tap lights. I've seen them with silver and black cases. (I've got one of each - stole them from the wife when she said she didn't need them anymore.) The one on the console has a black case, with what appears to be a custom-made collar on top (that's the gold/brass part); I say that because I've never seen one with that collar before, nor have I seen anything that looks like that collar on any other thing on the market. The lens that has the golf ball texture may also be a custom cast piece as I've never seen one of those tap lights with such a domed or dimpled "lens".

This "control" as a whole may be a Frankenstein model - different bits, some readily available, some custom-made - bodged together to make it. (Just a guess and I'd be happy if someone proved me wrong.)

Dino.

kiwidoc

I've got exactly the thing for the little light control.   It is a push/tap-light from my local $2 store.   I bought it about 10 years ago (set of three for $2) as a battery powered light source for inside my Dalek.   It never worked very well due to the lack of flat spaces to mount it but I still have two of the lights.    They have that distinctive golf-ball texture on the lens and a plastic surround though mine is cream rather than black.   The only thing missing is the brass surround , which I assume was added by the props people.   I'll take a picture of my lights and see if you think that it's a match.  If so, I'm prepared to offer my spare to Dave if he can't find something locally.  Though he's probably whipped something up while I've been typing this...