Apr 19, 2024, 02:22 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

superrichi1a

Just a quick recap of the rim paint history for archive purposes:
-The original "Eccleston" rim was painted lightly in a crackle medium known as "Aleen's", a brand which has now gone out of production however it still available through a secondary distributor known as "Perfetto". This paint comes in smaller pots and is very labour-intensive to apply by hand.
-A new rim was constructed during the console move and painted by the readily available (in the UK) Plastikote Heritage Gold which remains in place to this day. Incidentally, this was a contribution factor to the myth of the "Yellow" Sonic.

(Sorry to guys who already knew that! I just thought a consise roundup for future reference would be good!)

As it happens, I think Option A is just about perfect to replicate the Aleen's crackle! And perhaps it is even less labour intensive than the real stuff! (and would certainly look better in real-life!)  ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

museumdave

Hello All and Thanks for the input!

Superrichi1a I new it was a different product, but I didn't know what.  Thanks for that.  Question this move of studio, when did it happen- from a quick scan of the series was it between the series with Martha Jones and the one with Donna Noble?

So I have tried some more samples- Tried a brown base coat and then painting the crackle medium on in a large crackle pattern and then painting on the topcoat.  The end product is... um  ::) well - don't think that is what I will do on the rim. 
Dino I think you are right- I don't know if it is a brass colour, but it would certainly be better brown or gold than black.

As it turns out Mrs. MuseumDave really likes option A better too.

I think I am still going to do some more test pieces before I commit to anything, but again thank you all!

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

DoctorWho8

The studio move happened between series 2 & 3, so starting with The Runaway Bride is when the console room was used in the new studio.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

museumdave

So not to go on and on about this- in part because that would be better done on a reference  thread, but...

I was watching some Series 3 today and It really did look like the 'original' large crackle on the console rim- and positively on the collars around the central column it is the old style crackle.  If you watch 'Human Nature' as Martha is watching the Doctors recorded instruction on the Tardis scanner screen- behind the screen the big crackle.  
Sorry I don't have any screen captures, but I don't have the tech.  My system is very old and not up to that bit of jiggery pokery.

So I re-watched the studio tour with Freema- Shot at the end of that series.  They are setting up sets for 'Voyage of the Damned' and the rim- looks like it is big crackle at that point.

So- am I wrong? (Quite likely) or did the rim section get changed at some later point- say after a huge console explosion and not when they changed studios?

If you know please do share, or else I am re-watching all of the Tennant series- which I wouldn't really mind anyhow.

Thanks

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

museumdave

Feb 21, 2013, 11:21 pm #379 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2013, 11:23 pm by museumdave
Greetings fellow time travellers,

We have a brief update tonight.  More experimentation of crackle techniques have been happening.  I am still not 100% settled on what style I am going with or how it will be achieved, but I do have some - somewhat hopeful looking samples.  Here is a larger style crackle -drawn on and then given a 'light' over spray of paint to soften the lines.

DID YOU KNOW??? That spray paint makes SHARPIE (tm) permanent markers run?
I didn't

Anyhow here is a shot of that first with flash and then with out.  I hope to get this bit settled and finished with in the next week.

Thanks fort looking and for the feedback
Cheers

Dave
rim-flash.jpgrim-noflash.jpg

galacticprobe

Feb 22, 2013, 06:32 am #380 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2013, 06:37 am by galacticprobe
Me like! Meee liiiike! :D

ENVY grows.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

now that is craftsmanship - I think the Curved edges of the console with the indentations and crackle finish have come out wonderfully. 
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

BioDoctor900

The Console is looking Absolutely Fantastic Dave!

Downside is that the more and more I look at this fantastic piece of craftsmanship, the more I get annoyed with the fact I can't find money for the MDF or a willing builder to have some surplus sheets of wood they are willing to give away. I have the console parts and have a few specific ones to make, but its bugging me more and more that I want to build mine again. My poor console has been sat in boxes, in bits for nearly a year and I miss having it up and being able to play with it :D I'm a big kid :D

I live in the UK and Live in Bury St. Edmunds, if anyone knows anywhere I can get some CHEEP MDF sheets, id really appreciate it, looking for about 12 Sheets

Many Thanks and Much Envy

BioDoctor900

kiwidoc

Looks great in the with-flash shot Dave!!

atomicgraph

dave, dave, dave, that came out beautifully, really looks the part and it doesn't look like wood at all well done.

timegalaxy5

I Love It  ;) nice work

TimeGalaxy5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

the mister

looking realllly good :)

museumdave

Painting- painting
drawing, painting, retouch painting and more painting
should be done the rim tonight

paint ::)

M.D.

museumdave

Mar 01, 2013, 06:07 am #388 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2013, 06:16 am by museumdave
Hello all,

After layers of paint and drawn on crackle (yes I went with the hand drawn crackle (sorry Primrodo)) and a couple of clear coats of lacquer. the rim segments are DONE (for now).

Have been spending the evening securing them in place... or trying to... some things can be a bit fiddly.  Any how once they are secure the existing panels can go back in.  One at least will need a little adjustment to make it work with the rim.  Already the console feels much more complete.  I am glad to be past this particular stumbling block and on to something new.  There are two more panels to be made, but I think there is enough material around to do that with out getting more.  The plan presently is to have the panel between the rheostat rib and the rib with the 2 tri-lobes on it top mounted so that it can lift to reveal the 'heart of the console.  This will is inspired by the show, but also will help get at the hard drive and internal bits with out crawling around on the floor to the same extent.
We are still waiting on that crankshaft to make the time rotor work- but that is okay for now.  The larger collar on the central column is- well awful and I would like to replace it soon too
segments.jpg

rim in place.jpgrim in place2.jpg

more soon.

As always thanks for the support and comments.

Cheers

Dave

galacticprobe

Mar 01, 2013, 03:51 pm #389 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2013, 03:52 pm by galacticprobe
M.D., that crackle alone is a work of art, not to mention a labor of love! "Fantastic... absolutely fantastic!" (And say what you will about your column; that's fantastic as well especially considering what you had to work with to make it.) Put it all together and you have (drumroll, please...)

SUPER ENVY!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"