News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

museumdave

Nov 29, 2012, 05:01 pm #315 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2012, 05:10 pm by museumdave
Greetings fellow time travelers,

Just a small up date on the state of the console.  The second mesh panel has been pieced together and the bits that we have for it have been added.mesh 1.JPGmesh 2.JPG

There needs to be a few more details added, but the bulk of this on is done.  Here it is with a hose added.mesh 3.JPGmesh 4.JPG

I have been keeping my eyes open for a small fog/smoke machine to mount in behind this panel for that special FX kinda thing to let the old girl let of some steam at some points.  Still don't have one, but will let you know.  

The second trim wheel throttle assemble is pretty much done too.  It does still need the graphic on the big knob.  I printed two when the first wheel was made, but I cant find it now- If it doesn't turn up a new one will have to be printed.

trim2.JPGtrim2-2.JPG

It is all coming together.  There is of course more to do, but once I get the rim bits done it will certainly add to the feeling of completeness.

Thanks for looking and for the comments.

More soon

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Nov 30, 2012, 06:02 am #316 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012, 06:03 am by galacticprobe
M.D., Try taking a look for foggers here http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A11974271&ie=UTF8&psrk=fog+machine. It also lists accessories (timers, fog juice, hoses, etc.), and other bits that "could" be used with a fog machine; you'll have to weed through those other bits unless you want skeleton faces showing through somewhere.

If all else fails, Google "fog machine" and you'll get many more places to choose from.

And as always...

ENVY!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Nov 30, 2012, 08:23 pm #317 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012, 08:23 pm by museumdave
Thanks Dino,

I should have looked there earily, we had a local drug store that once had them before halloween, but not this year.  I apreaciate your support and comments.  also

BLUSH

Thanks

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

kiwidoc

Hi MD, have been following your build and am feeling inspired to have a go at one myself, copying many of your techniques!    One thing that just occurred to me during a re-read of your build is the the tri-lobe things *might* be the meeting point of some sort of tripod? Lots of the pictures I've found look as if there is a hole through each lobe so maybe a tripod leg was once bolted through it?   Although there are at least two on the console so I guess it would be unlikely that they found two identical vintage tripods to disassemble.   Just a thought.      Hanging out for further updates but sure you're plenty busy!  Happy New Year and I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Cheers, Glen

museumdave

Hello all,

Kiwidoc-Best of luck with your build.  I would like to see it as it is coming along- I hope you will share your work with us on this site  ;D  - it has been suggested by others as well that those tri-lobe things maybe part of a tripode, and it may well be the case.  I couldn't find any thing quite like them and went with something easy and cheap- although admittedly shampoo bottle tops are rather junky- they have close to the right shape and look- although the details are not right.  Like the 13th doctor (the Jason) said- one could go nuts (or more nuts in my case ::)) trying to recreate the console exactly.

Things have been a bit on hold leading up to and over the holidays, but a couple of things have happened.   Santa brought me a lovely kitchen timer that has been added to the console-  It locks like a combination safe dial.  It works well, but will likely require more that the magnet in its base to hold it secure.

I also had a little chat with a blacksmith friend of mine.  I have tried a couple of times to make a cam or crank shaft to run the time rotor action my self- with no success and a great deal of frustration.  My friend is going to make a crank shaft up for me that should in part fix the problem I was having.  I am really looking forward to getting the thing to move.

Happy new year, and happy building to you all.

Dave

kiwidoc

Jan 07, 2013, 08:36 pm #320 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013, 09:07 pm by Scarfwearer
Thanks Dave, I'll certainly document once I start.     I saw those kitchen timers a couple of years ago and thought they'd be great for a console but never got one and do you think they're anywhere in local shops now...?    I'm thinking of trying to start with the ceramic outer  ring first and build it as a complete ring (unlike the real console, of course) but I'm a little stuck for measurements on my sketches, is there anything you can share?   I'm tentatively using 6' diameter on the outside edge (add more for the buttresses for total diameter of console) but heights of the other sections of the ring are making me scratch my head - anything you can suggest as useful figures?    For the oval scoops/notches I'm thinking of cutting the oval out and glueing another piece of wood below - it wouldn't have the nice organic curve to the edges but on the other hand I can't think how to do it without becoming very skillful with chisels.   I like your heat gun plastic answer but somehow it doesn't seem solid enough - I wish there was some more background info on this things original construction!

Cheers, Glen

galacticprobe

Jan 08, 2013, 04:47 am #321 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013, 05:27 am by galacticprobe
Glen, try Thinkgeek for that timer: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eee1/. The price isn't bad at all and it will save you from having to try scratch-building one.

Dave, as for the magnet on the back of the timer (assuming the timer is similar to the magnetic-backed one from Thinkgeek), you could try getting another magnet to put against it from the other side - sort of sandwich the panel between the timer's magnet and the other magnet. Judging from the size of the one on Thinkgeek, if you found one of those round-framed magnetic hooks that hang things on metal doors, they usually come with a back piece for extra holding power if the door you were going to use it on had a large glass window. Here's one such hook (not sure if it's got the back part, though, or its size, but with a 20-pound vertical pull to it, it should hold that timer in place!): http://www.createforless.com/The+Magnet+Source+Magnetic+Hooks+Handi+20lb+Pull/pid198922.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID=1439894090&catargetid=1552981057&gclid=CM7Mjrr117QCFUid4AodNCgABw

Here's another, 2-pack of 2-inch diameter magnetic hooks (also look to have a 20-pound pull): http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/20+magnet+hook.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=1
The price isn't much different, and the larger size might do well.

There are loads of Google hits for "disc/ring magnet", and most of them are very expensive "rare-earth magnets" which, as I've seen on 'Mythbusters', at the size of that Thinkgeek timer are strong enough to break your finger (or worse) if you get in the magnet's way.

As for those "possible" tripod hubs, there were only three on the console: two were the same size and on the same rib; one was just a tidbit larger than the others (or so it looked) and was on a different rib. Where they came from?  ??? Possibly Bob's Bits? At any road, I think yours look just fine, Dave. In the early days of the Eccleston era at least one - possibly two - of them had a clear "caster cup" as its top. (For those who don't know what those are, they're the round things that have "cups" on one side, and on the other have little pointy things. They go under furniture legs to keep things like chairs or tables from sliding on carpet: http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/28-454-caster-cups/round-spiked-cups-660838.aspx. They do come in different sizes.) Later on in the Tennant era, you can see at least one of them lying about on a console panel:
CasterCup.jpg
One displaced caster cup (not sure where in the Tennant era this was taken, but after scouring all of Kingpin's great photos of this console at the DWE and not finding this on any of the panels, it seems this caster cup went missing at some point).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Jan 11, 2013, 02:26 am #322 Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013, 02:45 am by museumdave
Greetings fellow time travellers,

As always thanks for the info and sharing your thoughts all
So as many of you will know I have been struggling with the outer rim/ ring.  There have been many Ideas batted around including fiendishly clever- though completely ineffective ideas about using; a plastic wading pool, plastic baseboards, fiberglass ,and Styrofoam...
I have at last tried an idea I had some time ago.  It seems a simple doable way to create the rim- so simple I am baffled why it took so long to try it out and decide on this construction method.

Simply when back to what worked before.

What we have hear is a rectangle of Masonite topped with a curved cut arc of ply wood then a curved band of Masonite-  which is bent into shape and topped with a second ply arc.

Here is what I am talking about from the side.
rim edge.JPG

From the front it is like this-2rim bits.JPG

After the pieces are in place the divots were drafted out and then the bits rim1.JPG- taken apart and drilled and cut out

rimholes.JPG
rimdivit.JPG

rim bit.JPG

The divot holes were than backed with another narrow strip

here is one in a rough fit test.rim in place.JPG

So after that is roughed out - the rim bit is then filled in with some chalking- smoothing the transitions and the edge of each divot.
rim  +fill.JPG

After the Chalking is dry then there is some fairly heavy sanding- the top edges are rounded.-

Painting will require some time and work- but I think this should work for a rim and it is really pretty simple-  

Perfect NO!
but I think it will work.

That is all for now
Thanks for looking
I always appreciate your comments

Cheers

Dave

warmcanofcoke

Really Sweet! That is the solution. Your console is going to be Fantastic!
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Jan 11, 2013, 07:06 am #324 Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013, 07:08 am by galacticprobe
Interesting how the image you posted in your "rough test fit" is of the panel that's missing (with the collapsed section of rim and charred bulkheads) on the original console. Seeing yours makes me feel so much better - like the real thing is re-growing herself! And I totally agree with Nate: I think you've found the perfect method for building the rim.

So, needless to say (but I have to say it anyway)...
Envy(small).jpg
(If I could find a way of making this drool, I would. But I do have a weak stomach. :))

Dino.

the mister

atomicgraph

yep thats the best way to go about it. the biggest pain about it is gonna be the sanding. but after you get it past the major fillings switch over to a "fast build spray primer", its easier to sand than most fillers and it'll be way easier to get that ivory looking finish. really looking forward to a finished section.

FloppyDiskNinja

good lord, what a console this will be
;)
keep us posted,

-FloppyDiskNinja

davidnagel

Great stuff. Loving the progress.
Regards
David

museumdave

Thanks for the great comments all!  It is really appreciated.

Just a quick update.

The rim sections are all assembled and caulked.  They still require sanding and painting.  I normally paint outside, but it is 12 bellow zero right now- so that won't work-  I may need to wait for a little bit.

In terms of fitting the rim in- it is looking like the arm segments might need a quick little cut with a jigsaw  to make the top of the little 'shelf' where the rim sits the right profile-
shouldn't take too long, but I don't want to muck it up at this point....

All of the panels (well the 4 that are in) are going to need to be removed and remounted after the rims are in place too.

Things are moving along and should be much closer to a finished state soon!

As always thanks for the support

Dave