Mar 29, 2024, 04:48 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timegalaxy5

omg :D thats my favorite little peice on this console! Always has been, but it never got used in the show :-\
Keep up the good work on this awesome console good sir ;D

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

galacticprobe

Sep 04, 2012, 10:54 pm #286 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2012, 10:54 pm by galacticprobe
Getting better and better, M.D.! And once again you've come up with an idea that hadn't occurred to me: using wire nuts for that one panel! I've had my Coastie buddies looking through the old bins for the actual thumb nut connectors. Those wire nuts? Perfect! (I'll get my buddies to call off the search. ;))

And need I say it?

ENVY!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the mister

Thanks Dave! i must say, you are incredibly resourceful! those pieces look great.

The Mister

BioDoctor900

Still loving this console, it gets better and better, I actually have that piece (The knobs) and they come from the back of a stereo, where you put the speaker wire in. Hope this helps fo anyone looking to do a similar part for their console

Keep Up the Brilliant work

BioDoctor900

museumdave

Sep 05, 2012, 08:22 pm #289 Last Edit: Sep 05, 2012, 08:28 pm by museumdave
Thanks all
Biodoctor... um kinda wish I knew that before- but good on ya- I look forward to seeing your build come together ;D

any how
this is just a quick not as I found some more good bits at the local charity shops, was excited and wanted to share.
At the re-store I found a bag of wooden wheels cheap - and thought' these will be perfect!' to be honest I at the time I don't think I could have said perfect for what tho... But I also got 2 more old knobs from ovens and then it became clear to me.  I had mentioned wanting to raise some of the knobs by a couple of cm.... well check it outwheels.jpgwheels2.jpg

Now with one of the 'new' knobs from the shop (tee hee hee)wheel+knob.jpg
- needs paint, but I like it. ;D

Also - Have been keeping an eye on other charity shops and found another candle holder. It is not quite the same as the other 2- it is the same size, but this one is frosted.  I am sure that will be okay though.candleholder.jpgcandleholder2.jpg

So much for not posting about small stuff... oh well

More substantial stuff soon

cheers
M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Sep 06, 2012, 04:10 am #290 Last Edit: Sep 06, 2012, 04:11 am by galacticprobe
Smurfing great idea with those wooden wheels and the knobs, M.D.! And I'm starting to think I may just have to visit Canada to browse the charity shops up there. I can't find a single one of those candle holders anywhere in Virginia Beach (or Norfolk, Portsmouth, or any other Hampton Roads area city for that matter).

Tried ebay: got over 20k hits for "glass candle holder", and rewording the search to include things like "point" or "pyramid" and such only made it worse.

I'm glad to see you found that third "point", though. Now you have all three of the four-sided ones, and that six-sided one, to complete the set. Bravo!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

FloppyDiskNinja

Loving the wheals bro,  8)

The console is looking great,

Anyways here is that something i was talking to you about,
This sort of thing would look the part as one of those knob thingys. The general feel of the thing gives it the 2005 tardis character

IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0129 diagram.jpg

the green spins independently of the red and vice versa, the green bit at the top is linked to the green bottom and spins
independently of the red.

I spins really nicely and would be great as a control,
I found it in my bag I had not used in years and remembered of its endless fun during math.  ;D

architect

looks like floppydiskninja found the motor and spindle of a hard drive in his stuff heh heh. Takes a bit to get some of those off the based of the motor too, (the part that spins at the bottom in conjunction with the top, is usually press fit into a base, so a good round rod slightly smaller than that and a couple raps from a hammer usually will rectify that.)

very excellent build by the way, loving every new pic :D
Sincerely, and most appreciatively,
The Architect.
www.borgsteamfactory.com/contact.html

BioDoctor900

Ahh I recognise Floppydisknijas part, I have one for my console, its a motor from a VCR, its that main motor that spins round for the tape, They are very fun  to play with and look quite good as a part for a console ;D

BioDoctor900

museumdave

"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Sep 07, 2012, 05:52 am #295 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2012, 05:54 am by galacticprobe
Wow! The middle link would be perfect: all three "points" in one go, and perfect size and shape. But Jeez! In my financial situation right now those shipping costs (on each link) would almost break me :o!

Tea light holders, though, eh? Once again, M.D., that's one I wouldn't have thought to look for. Thanks for that one. Now I can narrow my searches. (And blue or not, I really like the look of the six-sided one in that last link. But again with that shipping... Ouch!)

Dino.

museumdave

Greetings all,

Just a small update today.  Things have been crazy - still at work.  Exhibit switch over ::) ::)
any how a little bit (very little) has happened.  Bits have been cut out for the second throttle lever.  I found another of the small plastic pales to turn the bottom in to another hub. and perhaps most exciting I have been talking to a friend who knows electronics.  I am hopeful that I can get that time rotor moving soon.  Why should the Mister get all the fun?

More news as it unfolds.

cheers

Dave

drwho100

hey
which green light did you use
to light up the time rotor?
many thanks drwho100

DoctorWho8

There's a shot with the column removed and at the top of the room you can see a light fixture with some green bulbs in it.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

museumdave

Hello All,

Doctorwho8 has it right the column is lit from the top with 2 green compact florescent bulbs and one plain old light bulb.  The green is not very noticeable.  I also have a green flood light back lighting the panels on the console and shinning a bit up into the column.

I hope that helps

Cheers

Dave