Apr 18, 2024, 06:03 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sillysparrowness' collapsable and foldable TARDIS

Started by sillysparrowness, Oct 20, 2011, 01:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

domvar

So how many proclamations of undying love / marriage proposals have you had so far ?

sillysparrowness

Yeah... quite a lot. But it's only fair to say, I was kind of asking for it...  :)

sillysparrowness

Also, I did a podcast about... well tardisbuilding and chickens... seem to be my area of expertise now...

http://thehappinesspatrol.blogspot.com/2012/02/episode-82-chickens-of-astrid.html#comment-form

I CANNOT listen to it, because I can't recognize my voice... every time I try, I get to the point where I think "Hang on, I SAID THAT... oh, must have been me then" and then I'm so irritated that I have to stop listening...  :)

And my hand has healed now, I shall be assembling the tardis and continuing the interior soon...  ;D

galacticprobe

Feb 13, 2012, 06:30 am #259 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2012, 06:30 am by galacticprobe
Astrid, I think you did just fine in that podcast.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

gerzah

Feb 13, 2012, 03:56 pm #260 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2012, 03:56 pm by gerzah
I've listened to the first third of it, and I had to put it down due to time restrictions. But up to this point, you did a very good job, Astrid. ... Although you gave away the names of your chickens, I still hope that you'll make a vlog about them as well, featuring them one by one. :-)

sillysparrowness

As, from time to time, people ask me about the plans, blueprints or measurements I used, I guess it's time to come out...  ;)

When I mentioned, I wasn't big at measurement, nor at planning, I wasn't lying. I'm aware that this is a bit embarrassing, but just to show you, I really can't help you: Here are my "plans". I don't thing anyone would be able to use them, sorry...

First of all, I didn't draw anything. I printed two plans I found here on the forum (I think it was under "reference" - I was trying to link them, but didn't find them! Where did they go?).
Anyway, I didn't really build those specific TARDISes, I just needed the drawings to figure out and note what to do. I was interested in the measurements, but I had to calculate inches into centimeters, this is what you can see scribbled all over it.

I then decided to shorten the TARDIS, so it would fit into my rooms. I took the height until the end of the post (which says 91 > 2,32m) and made it 2,00m. I somewhere noted that my tardis is 87% shorter than the original, but maybe that's not even true. Might have been another building stage.

TARDIS plan2.jpg

So I used the tardis drawings to scribble the measurements all over it, but mind you, I'm not sure if I didn't change them in the end. The horizontal bars at the panels are definitely 8cm (1,5cm thick), but other than that... I'd rather just look at something and the try to recreate it instead of getting the measurements.

The other (different) plan is the one I mainly used for my shopping list.

TARDIS plan1.jpg

And this is how I (very professionally) planned my roof:

TARDIS plan3.jpg

Yeah... sorry about that. To my defence, I really didn't forsee there would be people who'd like to build my TARDISbuild. I understand that the foldable part had quite a success, but all I can recommend is, you know, just get any plans, build the tardis and make it foldable. It's just cutting the panels in half, really.  :)

DoctorWho8

Look for my name and it will open doors. :D
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

sillysparrowness

Oh, and I forgot to answer one FAQ: The height of my TARDIS is 2,36m, that's 7,74ft (2,16m (7,08ft) without the lamp). You can't see it in the plans because I didn't plan it.

deck5

Thanks.  It gives the impression of being even taller, I think because of the proportions you selected for the posts & doors & etc.

slidin_sidewayz

I actually contemplated making my side panels hinged down the middle to make them like a bi-fold door during my construction. Still might do that with the back panel yet as it's still not made. I hadn't thought of the vertical approach. I guess it depends which way you want to stack your box. I'd like my posts and doors which are all similar lengths to be stackable in a corner but the roof and base will always be a pain to store, sadly, due to their bulk.

sillysparrowness

@deck5 Yeahh, also, you only ever saw me next to it, and I'm quite small (5'3). No need for a taller tardis then... :)

deck5

ivorydrops

Cool!

I don't know a lot of female builders and I must say this was an excellent approach to building a Police Box.  I think you had the same ideas running through your head when you built yours -- "If I have the Police Box in my house, how do it get it out?"

I went for the half-size approach.

What was in your head?

sillysparrowness

I have to admit that I don't know anymore how the idea of it being collapsable popped into my head. For the collapsable part, it seemed really logic, once I knew I had to transport it through the staircases... I had moved quite a lot of furniture and was still painfully aware of the strain of it!