Apr 19, 2024, 10:59 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS mailbox

Started by ehekkert, Oct 04, 2011, 08:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ehekkert

Oct 04, 2011, 08:43 pm Last Edit: Nov 10, 2011, 12:31 pm by ehekkert
I had been thinking about building a TARDIS for a while now and started looking online for specs. This was a while before actually finding this forum and all the information that's on here.
After finding a image of blueprint with English measurements i started making my own drawing and converting the English measurements to metric. I then soon realised that making a full size TARDIS would mean it would never fit inside (way too low ceilings). This caused me to give up the idea of building a TARDIS for a while. Then i realised i might be able to scale it down so far that it would make a nice mailbox. So after first finding out what requirements the dutch postal laws set for a mailbox i started scaling everything down to a size that would be ok.

This is actually my first try at building anything out of wood. So far I'm not yet disappointed with my work but there are definitely some things i would do different if i ever start building something else.
Quotations   It's not how many years you've lived, Will... but how you've lived them.

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives... because they will never come again.

We are after all only mortal.

ehekkert

Oct 04, 2011, 08:55 pm #1 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011, 10:51 am by ehekkert
I started about three weeks ago with the corners. Took quite some doing to get the beam of timber the right size even with an electric plane. Then gluing on two beams to the sides to get the cross shape.

WP_000086.jpg  WP_000091.jpg

Finding the right quarter rounds for in the corners wasn't as easy as i had hoped. Had to accept that they were a little to big but i feel it worked out ok.
Giving the base plate it's 45 degree angle was luckily quite easy with the router i borrowed.

WP_000087.jpg
Quotations   It's not how many years you've lived, Will... but how you've lived them.

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives... because they will never come again.

ehekkert

Oct 04, 2011, 09:12 pm #2 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011, 10:50 am by ehekkert
Since pictures say more then words I'm just adding a few more without explaining all i did in words.  ;D

WP_000095.jpg WP_000097.jpg

I guess my cat can hardly wait for it to be ready so he can travel through time.  :P

WP_000101.jpg WP_000107.jpg WP_000109.jpg WP_000126.jpg

ehekkert

Oct 04, 2011, 09:14 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011, 10:52 am by ehekkert
This is where I'm at this evening and this is ofcourse where the mail should go.

WP_000130.jpg  WP_000131.jpg

kiwidoc

Looking great, brilliant start!

DoctorWho8

That's a great looking Hartnell Mail Box.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

ehekkert

Oct 05, 2011, 10:30 am #6 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011, 10:55 am by ehekkert
I just saw how huge the images are (for some weird reason i can't see them at home) and I'll try to replace them with smaller versions a little later so the page isn't so unreadable/unviewable. :)

Done  :D

Scarfwearer

The apparent width of images is scaled to fit your browser window, and generally speaking larger images provide more detail. If the pictures are too wide, just make your window smaller. It'll make text easier to read also, as people don't track very long lines that well.
We have a 500K limit on image disk size, but due to a technical oversight of mine this hasn't been enforced recently. I've just re-enabled the limit! :)

Crispin

ehekkert

Working on the roof. Sanding down the sides is quite a labor intensive job.

WP_000142 (Custom).jpgWP_000143 (Custom).jpgWP_000139 (Custom).jpg

ehekkert

Held into place with some clear tape as the construction glue is drying.

WP_000144 (Custom).jpg

ehekkert

Made part of the casing for the lamp but i have no idea yet what to use as the glass.
I have been looking at small plastic bottles, glass containers, etc but i haven't found anything yet that looks right.
I'll most likely have to settle for the simple solution of a straight piece of transparent plastic pipe but will be looking around to see if i find anything better.

WP_000151 (Custom).jpg

Doctor Iz

Great progress!  Can't wait to see the completed TARDIS mailbox.

Cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

ehekkert

Oct 24, 2011, 12:09 am #12 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 12:11 am by ehekkert
I thought the roof was labor intensive but it's nothing compared to the time it's going to take to make all the doors and sidepanels.
I had started with the first door about 2 weeks ago but i only had a day or two to work on it before having my own Amy Pond (Scottish girlfriend) coming over for a week. Finished the first door today. Right now it's clamped together and the glue is drying.

I'll post a picture of the finished (unpainted) door tomorrow. Here are a few pictures from before it was done.

As you can see I've been watching Dr Who episodes while working.  ;D

WP_000340 (Custom).jpg WP_000348 (Custom).jpg

DoctorWho8

Planet of the Giants?  How appropriate.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

ehekkert

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Oct 24, 2011, 02:58 am
Planet of the Giants?

Yes that's the episode that was on at the moment of the photo. Definitely impressed you were able to get that from just one (not very clear) image.