Mar 29, 2024, 03:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The lamp, she no flash!!!

Started by slidin_sidewayz, Oct 02, 2011, 12:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slidin_sidewayz

Been noticing that the lamp now just stays on, whether the TARDIS is parked, dematerialising, materialising, whatever. The title sequence even shows it traversing the vortex with the lamp on. How long has this been going on?

superrichi1a

Another thing, anyone notice they've started lighting up the door sign in a different way?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

slidin_sidewayz

How so? There's only one way to back-light something, isn't there?

croooow

In the new series the lamp is almost always on and the blinking is done in post production with a glow/lens flare effect. I think the only time the lamp actually blinks is the beginning of "New Earth".
"I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

superrichi1a

Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Oct 02, 2011, 01:11 pm
How so? There's only one way to back-light something, isn't there?

I dunno what they've changed, but if you compare the pics of The TARDIS from the end of The Eleventh Hour and the end of Closing Time, you can see they've done away with the slight green, glow in the dark effect mainly around the letters, and it is now lit up with a much more even light with a blueish hue. (Sorry, I'd post screen caps but I'm tpying this from my phone, soooo...)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

DoctorWho8

Remember, the prop used is Series 5 is now in the Doctor Who Exhibition.  The one in Series 6 is a new prop, so they may have used a different material on the door sign.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

superrichi1a

My thought's exactly. It'd explain why in The Impossible Astronaughht/Day of the Moon the old style is still there.

warmcanofcoke

keep in mind certain Hartnell stories would sometimes have the light stay flashing long after the Tardis has Landed like in "The Rescue"
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

riftmaster

look at the picture at the bottom of this topic, it shows the old lighting. it is quite noticeable when you know what to look for !

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2980.msg34730;topicseen#msg34730

whofan88

Well with the title sequences the lamp flashed all throughout series 5.  During the 2010 Christmas special A Christmas Carol the lamp stayed lit and that continued throughout series 6.  Also a lens flare was added when the logo appears.  I can't remember if that was during A Christmas Carol or The Impossible Astronaut. 
There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

-The Doctor

ThisJustinOnline

Quote from: riftmaster on Oct 02, 2011, 05:38 pm
look at the picture at the bottom of this topic, it shows the old lighting. it is quite noticeable when you know what to look for !

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2980.msg34730;topicseen#msg34730

Its likely just a different batch of the vinyl used. Sometimes its greeny, sometimes its bluey