Apr 19, 2024, 05:30 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Matt Smith's coat

Started by Fardels Bear, Sep 13, 2011, 05:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fardels Bear

I've fallen in love with Matt Smith's green, moleskin coat.  Does anybody know if it was off the peg, or was it specially made? It's one of the few Doctor pieces of clothing I think I could get away with wearing!
"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

Rassilons Rod

Is it green? I thought it was a dark brown colour. But yes, I love it too :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

cyberstephen

Sep 13, 2011, 10:32 am #2 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011, 10:35 am by cyberstephen
I'm totally crazy about it myself.  ;D
Stephen

Rassilons Rod

I just had a look on the BBC site and yes it is green. But it's a very dark green/brown... A dark khaki you might say...

I really like it, though I think I preferred it when I thought it was brown ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

cyberstephen

Me too, there are pictures where it seems a definite hue of green and pictures where it appears more on the brown side. Olive is a hybrid of brown and green. I'd like to get one made in that colour.
Stephen

superrichi1a

No one is sure for sure whether it's off the rack or custom, but, if it is off the rack, it's most likely vintage and has disapeared from most modern records, making it almost impossible to trace (believe me, I tried).
If you want to go down the more expensive route, Steve Ricks top notch ones, but, yeah, unfortunatly the quality of his coats shows in the prices (I'm still saving up for one of his Tennants), and I doubt he'll be doing commisions for a while.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

greatwazoo42

I love it.  It makes a nice nod to classic Who but also stays within the slightly disheveled look Matt pulls off so well.

DoctorWho8

I thought it was an old army overcoat.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Fardels Bear

It's actually a style that has been around the last few winters - very broad collar and double breasted. I've got a brown moleskin coat, similar collar but shorter in length.  What I like about Matt Smith's coat is the fuller skirt - men's coats nowadays always seem to be straight down like a tube.
"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

superrichi1a

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Sep 14, 2011, 03:08 am
I thought it was an old army overcoat.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

It's not a military coat, though it is clearly designed to give that impression, and many old Naval coats are very, very similar. I have an almost identical one in blue, but it's in very bad condition.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

greatwazoo42