Apr 19, 2024, 08:18 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Type 1012's sonic screwdriver and lightsaber(TM)

Started by type_1012_tardis, Sep 06, 2011, 08:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

type_1012_tardis

Sep 06, 2011, 08:03 pm Last Edit: Sep 06, 2011, 08:04 pm by type_1012_tardis
Well, since my camera has recently become impossible for me to use, i only managed to get the one good photo:

P9063435.JPG

Both are half-completed, and could be so for some time yet (i appear to have collected more old computers than i have room for... need to resolve that sooner or later).
The sonic is made of about $5(ish) of pipe from Home Depot, though i intend to wrap black electrical tape around it and install a green LED and battery.  My excuse for the lack of a frequency adjuster is that it is telepathic, which is intended to prevent misuse by those who do not know how to operate it.

The lightsaber is currently just a piece of pipe with a 3/4" rubber sink drain attached.  The end screws off, and i intend to (possibly) put a battery in there or something (and the temporal power crystal).  I intend to glue some tube over most of the handle and add a black stopper-type thing an inch or two down the "beam" end, to reduce potential bloopers if it is ever filmed.  It is again telepathically activated, though (unlike real lightsabers) the blade beam changes color based on the personality of the one wielding it.  Eventually, i may even add a removable stick to CG-over to make it easier to do so.

That being said, i am not likely to update these for awhile, as i still have to add at least something to the console....

End of Line
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

Scarfwearer

Looks like a great start on the sonic.

What's a Lightsaber?? ;)

Crispin

type_1012_tardis

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Sep 06, 2011, 09:26 pm
What's a Lightsaber?? ;)

Crispin

Fair enough, this being a site for whovians.

I just thought it's the kind of thing some time traveler may have picked up in the future, or the past, in a galaxy far, far... that's trademarked, isn't it? ;D

As for the sonic, it's currently hollow and already weighs several pounds.  I haven't weighed it, but i would guess that it's about the weight of my netbook, so about 3 LB (1.36 kg (?)).  I can think of several reasons not to take it to school once completed ("toy," "potential lethal weapon," "made of metal and not being a binder or pen/pencil/etc.," "etc.").  Now if only i could get my hands on a power source i would be all set to make it actually work... oh well, someday.

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Well, trying this again for the third time today (US time):

I got some black electrical tape for a buck plus tax shortly after the above two comments took place.  Of coarse, it took me until this afternoon to realize that most of my problems with the camera these past few weeks were because i forgot to use the correct lens.  Oops.  Resolved now, here it is in its barely-updated-ness:
P9233440.JPG

Planned future upgrades include a green LED, a circuit to make the sound, and possibly some copper wire on the handle.

End of Line