Started by Scarfwearer, May 14, 2009, 03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

May 14, 2009, 03:14 pm Last Edit: Jul 24, 2020, 01:16 pm by Scarfwearer
This thread is a reference thread to cover the varying appearance of the door
sign on the TARDIS.
By all means contribute reference information on this thread, and we will
summarize it here in the first posting.

Some of the images are rather poor, and could use better versions.

Version (Date)ImageFontsImage Reproduction
Police Post/Barnet style Police Boxpa2-small.jpgFrom a scan of a real sign.PDF (Deck5)
Police Postsignspectiny.jpgTaken directly from the Post Office Engineering Department's specification plans.PDF (Deck5)
Police Postamberley.jpgVectorized from a photo of the Amberley Museum police post.PDF (Deck5)
Police Postboxsignmodern.jpgPanRoman (approx.).  From a scan of a real sign.PDF (starcross)

Version (Date)ImageFontsImage Reproduction
Brachacki Original (1963)
Pilot
brachacki-door.jpgPerpetuaPDF (Deck5)  Cleaned-up version (for vinyl cutting)  (Sorvan) Sorvan's version stretched horizontally to more closely match The Chase reference photo (Deck5)
Brachacki Weathered (1963)Daleks_Phone_Panel.pngUpdated to widen it to more closely align with The Chase reference photo (Deck5)
An Unearthly Child (The weathering was toned down for The Daleks)sign2.jpgPerpetuaAs above but weathered
Brachacki Late (1969)
The Seeds Of Death
Brachacki-altered-door.jpg?JPEG (peted) JPEG (Zbignievhanson) JPEG (FiveFingeredStyre) PDF (FiveFingeredStyre) PSD (for GIMP) (FiveFingeredStyre)
Newbery (1976)
Masque Of Mandragora
newbery-pb.jpg?PDF (Scarfwearer) (approximation) http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306.msg33059#msg33059 (Warmcanofcoke)
Tom Yardley-Jones Mk I(1980)
The Leisure Hive
tyj-door.jpgTimes New Roman (Bold)JPEG (Theta Sigma)
Tom Yardley-Jones Mk II (1981)
Logopolis
(Made for the Newbery refit but appeared on both both fibreglass boxes also)
tyj-all-calls.jpgTimes New Roman (Bold) + ?PDF (ThetaSigma)
Hudolin (1996)Hudolin-door2.jpgDella Robia BT is similarPDF (Deck5)
Richmond/Thomas (2005)thomas.jpgTimes Roman, VAG Rounded ThinPDF (DoctorWho8)
Richmond/Thomas (2010)door-sign2010.jpgNAPDF (DoctorWho8)
/td]
Arwel Wyn Jones (2018)phone-panel.pngNA

try5s.jpgDoorSign-1969(Brachacki-Alt).jpg

deck5

Aug 27, 2009, 04:11 am #1 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 10:32 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all!  First post for me.  Here's a Hartnell sign I've mocked up; fiddling with font size and placement.  I know the font isn't a precise match -- the U is without a foot, for one --  but I've yet to find a better match, so I'm playing with this one for now.  Is there a better match known?

oldstyle.png

Scarfwearer

Aug 27, 2009, 11:28 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 09:38 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: deck5 board=3d thread=383 post=2797 time=1251346305Hi all!  First post for me.  Here's a Hartnell sign I've mocked up; fiddling with font size and placement.  I know the font isn't a precise match -- the U is without a foot, for one --  but I've yet to find a better match, so I'm playing with this one for now.  Is there a better match known?

Hi and welcome!

Your mockup looks great - I don't think we have a definitive reference for the font name as yet, but we are collecting doorsign images and reproductions on this thread: Door Sign Reference. I'd be happy to put a link to your reproduction there at some point if you're willing.

Do introduce yourself in the members area if you like: About the Members.

Crispin

deck5

Aug 27, 2009, 01:37 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 09:38 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=3d thread=383 post=2799 time=1251372505
Hi and welcome!

Your mockup looks great - I don't think we have a definitive reference for the font name as yet, but we are collecting doorsign images and reproductions on this thread: Door Sign Reference. I'd be happy to put a link to your reproduction there at some point if you're willing.

Thanks!  Yes, that'd be fine.  Once I tweak it I'll make a higher-resolution version available, as well.

DoctorWho8

This one also needs the update to http://billrudloff.com/DoorSign.pdf .  Thanks!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Scarfwearer

Fixed. Thanks Bill

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

May 14, 2009, 03:36 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:10 pm by scarfwearer
That black sign didn't appear till season 6, btw... Though true it was on
the "Brachacki Altered" box...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

May 14, 2009, 04:43 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:10 pm by scarfwearer
I guess we need a version of the original sign with a blue border, then.

Crispin

peted

May 14, 2009, 10:05 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:10 pm by scarfwearer
Also, remember there were 2 versions of the original telephone panel on the TYJ, the origin of the 'All Calls' variation, that became adopted by the final black cardboard/dual font variation that was used as a template for the 2005 version. I think if you look at either (a) the Colin Baker original press photos with the box, or the Sophie Aldred and Sylvester McCoy press photos (again with the TYJ) this variation is clearly visible.

peted

May 14, 2009, 10:13 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:10 pm by scarfwearer
Also, while I remember - I have a tracing that IronAgeMan from TR2 did of the Barnet box's phone panel. I imagine it is the same as the Crich box (i'd better check!) - also a really good pic of the lintel signs from Crich, so if we think that 'real' police box signage should be represented, then I'm happy to oblige. As a side note, I also have the wording the original 1929 phone panel that was completely different.

Scarfwearer

May 14, 2009, 10:13 pm #10 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:11 pm by scarfwearer
Were these two versions on the Mk I and Mk II props respectively, or did the change happen at some other point?

Crispin

Scarfwearer

May 14, 2009, 10:31 pm #11 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:11 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: peted on May 14, 2009, 10:13 pmAlso, while I remember - I have a tracing that IronAgeMan from TR2 did of the Barnet box's phone panel. I imagine it is the same as the Crich box (i'd better check!) - also a really good pic of the lintel signs from Crich, so if we think that 'real' police box signage should be represented, then I'm happy to oblige. As a side note, I also have the wording the original 1929 phone panel that was completely different.

We have a separate category for actual Police Boxes, and I think it would be good to put something like this thread there, if you think there's enough material to make that worthwhile. I've removed the '1929' row from the table here, on that assumption.
I'd be glad to help with the layout if you like.

Crispin

Scarfwearer

May 15, 2009, 08:14 am #12 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:11 pm by scarfwearer
And thanks again, Bill! Link forthcoming...

If anyone else can contribute PDFs or font info, they would be most welcome.

Crispin

peted

May 15, 2009, 07:22 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:11 pm by scarfwearer
I should have Brachaki altered and Barnet Box (for the other thread) let me have a dig...

DoctorWho8

May 15, 2009, 07:42 pm #14 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 05:12 pm by scarfwearer
Times Rowan?  Are you watching Rowan and Martin's Laugh In again, Crispin?
Bill Rudloff