Apr 20, 2024, 03:47 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 14 Console Panel Control Layouts

Started by Scarfwearer, Aug 24, 2011, 04:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Sep 12, 2011, 04:30 am #30 Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011, 04:30 am by galacticprobe
They might not be "wheels". That look might be a trick of the light. They might be push buttons, ones similar to this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062543#

They come in different sizes, and have a concave top which would cause them to look like wheels depending on how the light reflected off of that concave surface. (I'm sure most of us have seen these sort of buttons before.)

Another possibility?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Interesting, the wheels look um... like black plastic "Rolo"s (you know, the chocolate covered caramels...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolo
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

AuxCon025B_zpsp6sjdzsb.jpg
AuxCon030B_zpsjlyoudny.jpg
Those Rolos look like they are on both sides of the console.

"It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. Hey, what is this, some kind of galactic hyper-hearse? " ~ Zaphod Beeblebrox
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Mar 23, 2015, 03:57 pm #33 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015, 04:16 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Mar 23, 2015, 03:09 pm
Those Rolos look like they are on both sides of the console.

They might very well be on two of those panels (with one of the panels having three of the buttons with the orange stickers on them), but then there is that third panel (the one with the blue top row of rectangular buttons) which doesn't have any round buttons on it.

So there are at least three panels with the rectangular buttons. The only thing that still puzzles me is that panel with the round buttons at the top that have the orange stickers on them; those buttons look like they've got flat tops (and a sort of cone-shaped base where they meet the panel), and no silver shaft visible between the button and the base, whereas the "Rolo"-like buttons on that other panel have a small shaft visible where they meet the panel, and the buttons' tops are concave, not flat. So there are two different types of buttons, which would mean that there are two different panels. (I can't imagine the props people changing buttons back and forth to make the panels look different.)

Also, the "Rolo"-button panel doesn't have the orange stickers on any of the rectangular buttons. The panel with the Flat-topped round buttons that have the orange sticker circles on three of them also has one of those stickers on the first rectangular button (the leftmost button) in each row. Again I can't imagine the props people removing and replacing stickers and buttons. So there must have been three panels with those rectangular buttons on them: the panel with the round buttons and orange stickers; the panel with the "Rolo"-type of buttons with their concave tops; and the panel with the top row of rectangular buttons that are blue, which has no round buttons at all at the top.

That's three panels accounted for. Throw in that "bogus" panel made with either more colored stickers or paint and it accounts for a fourth panel. A fifth panel is the writing desk that faces the camera, and then - as seen on screen - the last, sixth panel, is the other writing desk that faces the door. Again to correlate how all these panels are laid out, celation's drawing is the only one that fits. (And this is keeping things within the 'Whoniverse'. I know that on the actual prop there was probably only one writing desk, and with the other four panels established it leaves that sixth panel as the "unknown". So I'm inclined to stick with celation's panel layout as it would be in the 'Whoniverse'... unless someone has an idea of what could have been under that other, unseen panel. Of course then we would have to revise that drawing.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Here is a panel layout for the season 14 console.
season%2014%20console%20A_zpsvhrgyuoo.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Can these be combined without causing different panels to be on top of eachother?

I'm only looking on my phone at the moment, but my initial thoughts are (once again) that there are two writing desk, positioned opposite eachother....
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Mar 24, 2015, 05:47 pm #36 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 05:57 pm by warmcanofcoke
um ... Yes.

If there were two desks it would look like this:
2desks_zpsjcttpqni.jpg

*edit
Quote from: celation on Aug 26, 2011, 09:08 am
Therefore, the only configuration which makes the two pictures work together, is:

wooden_console_layout_Cmod2.jpg

Looks like Someone has thought of this before.  ;)

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2015, 05:53 pm #37 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 06:06 pm by galacticprobe
That is what was seen on screen, taking every panel into account, even though not all of them were ever seen at the same time. (Celation's drawing is from the discussion on panel layout in http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=284.0)

You'll notice that "Panel 5" (with the top row of blue buttons) does not have that "mesh" and the white buttons/lights on it; that is how it appeared on screen. The image for that is in the above linked topic.

The only thing I think he's got reversed on this is the position of Panel 6 and Panel 3. Panel 3 is the one that faced the corridor door, which the Doctor used to turn on the lights once he and Sarah Jane entered the room in "The Masque of Mandragora". Panel 6 is the one that faced the view screen, and the one the Doctor opened for Eldrad to enter coordinates for Kastria in "The Hand of Fear".

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Whilst studying your image on the subway I came up with an idea. It's just an idea mind...  But since there's so much repetition it makes me think.... SYMMETRY!

So I was wondering if there'd be two of those panels with rubber feet (one either side of a writing desk) and two of the panels with round lights (either side of the other desk).

This would mean that one of the rubber feet panels had orange dot stickers added later...

Just a thought.....
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2015, 06:08 pm #39 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 06:08 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Mar 24, 2015, 06:04 pm
This would mean that one of the rubber feet panels had orange dot stickers added later...

The only problem with this thought is that the orange stickers were already seen in the console's first appearance in "The Masque of Mandragora", when the Doctor uses that panel to turn on the lights.

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

Mar 24, 2015, 06:10 pm #40 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 06:14 pm by warmcanofcoke
The stickers did not apear till Deadly Assassin and more stickers were added for Robots of Death.

and the panel with the blue row of buton lights on top does have black buttons at the top.
AuxCon025B_zpsp6sjdzsb.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2015, 06:21 pm #42 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 06:21 pm by galacticprobe
AH! Confused memories! Now I have to go back (dig up my DVDs from wherever they're hiding) and watch those stories again! (Not that I ever need a reason to watch any Classic stories again, but this time I'll have to scrutinize things to pick out details.) :P

But on that panel with the top row of blue buttons, could that image just have some reflections of the blue buttons in it, giving the illusion of round buttons above them? This is the best image I've got of that panel, and I've lightened it as much as possible and there are no signs of round buttons above the blue rectangular ones:
SecondaryConsole02(lightened).jpg

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Oooh. That panel on our right looks like no knobs at all above the buttons.
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Please excuse my butchery of your diagram, Nate... But could it possibly have been something like this?

I really feel that the whole room was designed with a symmetry not present in any of the other console rooms... Even the layout of the walls is done totally symmetrically.

Season 14.jpg
Public Enema Number One.