Mar 29, 2024, 02:22 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Brachacki Console

Started by Rassilons Rod, Jul 25, 2011, 04:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Jul 25, 2011, 04:14 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 04:47 pm by Scarfwearer
I've decided to try to make a plan of the Brachacki console, starting from the beginning. This could be a lengthy project, but hopefully it will be fun too :) I think this could be the hardest part... So, to begin with...

Using a combination of:

I have deduced the following sizes for the console panels on the first Brachacki console.
Panel_Dims.jpg

c=17.5
b=29.88
C=53.1

If anyone with better maths skills than mine have any suggestions to make this better please do say so :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

lespaceplie

Give me a day or so and I'll format the working diagram I have so that you can refine it from Scarfwearer's and mine. The probable dims are already more or less covered between the two of us (with some info from Purple).

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

I'm very happy to see this getting some more attention. I seem to remember we figured out a while back that the dims on my plans can't be quite correct, so hopefully we'll get it closer with some more work.

Crispin

lespaceplie

Here's a starting point. The panels are only 44 inches wide. They don't grow larger until the console is rebuilt. The height of the base is a best guess that looks right to me, but there's no way to know for sure. I included the round riser that was underneath the console in its early days.

console1a.jpg

lespaceplie

And now a top view. Rather than make new posts for each update, I'll simply update the linked graphic.

console1b.jpg

Rassilons Rod

So if the outside perimeter of the crown is 35, that makes the visible edge at the top of each panel 20.207"
and therefore the panel depth at the centre line is 22.49" - Agreed?

How many decimal places should we work to?
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Well, 1/16" is 0.0625 inches, so I would go to 4 decimals. I would also try to keep measurements at even 1/16 intervals.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

lespaceplie

All of this unless I twisted the figures:

The top width of each panel is 17.5 (with the spokes covering a mere inch on each end / 15.5 is exposed). The panel measures 24.6513 at center (flat, outer edge including the belt). Viewed from the top, the distance from the flat edge of the crown to the flat outer edge of the panel (including belt) is 22.9497.

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 30, 2011, 11:38 am
So if the outside perimeter (diameter?) of the crown is 35, that makes the visible edge at the top of each panel 20.207"
and therefore the panel depth at the centre line is 22.49" - Agreed?

How many decimal places should we work to?

Rassilons Rod

Hmmm not far different. As I was reading your results, I was thinking that the belt can't be more than ½" thick... and 22.49" is only about 0.5" less than yours so I think it must be about right.

I'm a little surprised about the spokes covering only an inch... at that top line.

I've rethought the "hidden by the crown" part of the panel - I guess it's rather arbitrary but there is probably a maximum sensible size rather than anything absolute.
Public Enema Number One.

lespaceplie

Jul 31, 2011, 06:10 pm #10 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2011, 09:45 pm by lespaceplie
The spokes are narrower than I originally thought as well. The original ones appear to be wood, but the Pertwee refurb replaced them with bent sheet metal (probably).

Also, what are the specs on the Celation console? Talk about a real-world test!

Rassilons Rod

I think we need to wait until he gets out his tape measure for us :)

I did ask him, but I know he's got a lot on his plate at the moment :)
Public Enema Number One.