Apr 23, 2024, 11:56 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Dave's Peter Cushing Tardis Model

Started by lorisarvendu, Jul 17, 2011, 05:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Dec 21, 2011, 08:07 am #15 Last Edit: Dec 21, 2011, 08:07 am by galacticprobe
It's difficult to tell in the reference photos from the first movie: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1446.0

But in the second movie (before things fall onto it) it looks almost grey: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1447.0 (see especially the third photo down).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

chriskingbees

Given, the top of the Tardis is also white/grey, due to a covering of dust, I've always believed this to be the reason for the lamp's colour

KB

lorisarvendu

I don't like this thread. My model is getting less accurate as the days go by. :( 

Ha! Yes you're right! It's quite obviously blue in the night-time London street scenes isn't it. Guess I should have studied the photos more closely, but then you never realise these things until someone points them out on.  Maybe I should join a discussion forum dedicated to TARDIS building...

Again I can fix this by repainting the lamp housing, and to be honest I might just do that.  The grey has never really looked right to me.  Although I suppose I could be ultra-accurate and sprinkle grey "dust" on top of it!

As far as the earlier film goes, views of the lamp are almost non-existent apart from one brief shot that appears to indicate they used a lava-lamp and I'm damned if I'm ever going to do that, accuracy or no.

chriskingbees

Alright, as we're ragging on Dave's accuracy of build, does anyone agree with this? Whilst we all agree that the Cushing prop is probably the most accurate Tardis/met box to date, I've always thought that the steps on the roof don't go in quite enough as they should and Dave's model has captured this nuance perfectly, in my humble opinion.

KB

galacticprobe

Dec 21, 2011, 07:43 pm #19 Last Edit: Dec 21, 2011, 07:43 pm by galacticprobe
I tend to agree with KB. The Cushing box is the closest "TARDIS" to an actual Met box, but it isn't an exact copy of a Met box; there are subtle differences between the Cushing and the Met. Dave has captured those differences in his Cushing model. (The lamp color is actually trivial, as Dave points out, as he can repaint it at any time he wishes: if he wishes.)

There are very few Cushing model builds so Dave's stands up there as one of, if not the most accurate. (That's model now, not full-size builds.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lorisarvendu

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 21, 2011, 07:43 pm
I tend to agree with KB. The Cushing box is the closest "TARDIS" to an actual Met box, but it isn't an exact copy of a Met box; there are subtle differences between the Cushing and the Met.

I agree...but not as many changes as you would expect.  It appears to be a subtly widened Met box, and the roof stacks narrow far less, making the roof appear higher and less pyramidal.  I just kept altering a bitmap of the Met plans until it looked right.

When you look at the screen shots we have, although it seems we don't have many, in fact this prop is very well represented, especially in the second movie. Most of the time you see it in long-shot rather than the few close-ups of the TV prop we have from the same period.  Consequently I think it has been a very well copied prop in comics of the period.  You can certainly see it's influence in the TV Comic TARDIS from round about the same time, which has the same high-stacked roof. 

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 21, 2011, 07:43 pmDave has captured those differences in his Cushing model. (The lamp color is actually trivial, as Dave points out, as he can repaint it at any time he wishes: if he wishes.)

There are very few Cushing model builds so Dave's stands up there as one of, if not the most accurate. (That's model now, not full-size builds.)

Dino.

Thankyou!  It's grown on me, and it's now the favourite of my models, and I will certainly be repainting the lamp after Christmas.

lorisarvendu

OK.  Lamp now blue.  Everyone happy now?   *Grumble Grumble*

;)

Cush39.jpg

St John Sign will be amended as soon as I get back to work and laser printer!

chriskingbees

No grumbling from me, Dave. I always admire your superb models, but I must ask, did you make that fresnel, or was it a bought item? Either way, the term "Icing on the cake" comes to mind :)

KB

lorisarvendu

I work at a Nottingham university, with a school of Art & Design.  I got to know one of the technicians who said if I got a clear acrylic rod he'd turn it on a lathe for me.  He made me up about 6 of them.  I've used 2 so far.

fedora

really beutiful model i like this alot . i myself plan to build a tardis model but not sure which version any suggestions?
But it was just a police box !

Mark

What a lovely model. With out any shadow of doubt that is the Cushing box.

Always had a soft spot for that design.

What have you made this from and what scale is it? Maybe that question is answered elsewhere but I appear to have missed that thread for now.(loads of stuff for me to catch up on here)

lorisarvendu

Quote from: mark on Dec 29, 2011, 01:14 am
What a lovely model. With out any shadow of doubt that is the Cushing box.

Always had a soft spot for that design.

Thanks v much!  I'm very proud of it.  I only wish I had a stooped little Peter Cushing Doctor to go with it.

Quote from: mark on Dec 29, 2011, 01:14 am
What have you made this from and what scale is it? Maybe that question is answered elsewhere but I appear to have missed that thread for now.(loads of stuff for me to catch up on here)

I'm not exactly sure of scale (since I don't know the dimensins of the actual box!), but all my models are done from plans scaled up to fit snugly on a sheet of A4.  It's made of 1.5mm thick mounting card from an art shop.  I use flat pieces of opaque plastic sliced from 4pint plastic milk bottles.

There's a build diary on this forum, but here's my own:  http://www.spacewarp.co.uk/CushBuild01.htm

Mark

;D Cardboard and random plastic and stuff is my preferred method of construction! Love your model even more now.

Never really thought of using a lathe for making a lamp, but it does seem a simply brilliant way of doing it. I shall toy with that idea. My first "serious" build used a 2 litre coke bottle lid as a lamp. The screw thread was reasonable close enough to pass for a Fresnel lens back then  :-\

markofrani

That lovely fresnel lamp really completes the model nicely! Very nice work there...

lorisarvendu