Apr 18, 2024, 12:15 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Model AARU Tardis build

Started by lorisarvendu, Jun 21, 2011, 12:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deck5

I like it.  Maybe it's a personal taste thing, but I think a good matte coat would really make it look more realistic than the (semi?) gloss you've got on it now.

lorisarvendu

Yeah I know what you mean: gloss makes it look like a porcelain biscuit tin.  Unfortunately I could only get the right colour in a satin acrylic.  However if you look closely at the prop in the movies you'll see it actually does have a satin finish.  It's definitely not matt, as you can see here, where the white windows are clearly being reflected in the corner posts:

Image1.jpg

I'll see what I think when I've got the second coat done. Matt Smith's TARDIS doesn't have a matt finish, and this one's a movie TARDIS. Maybe it should be shiny.

deck5

Quote from: lorisarvendu on Jul 08, 2011, 10:16 pm
Yeah I know what you mean: gloss makes it look like a porcelain biscuit tin.  Unfortunately I could only get the right colour in a satin acrylic.

You can buy a matt clear acrylic spray, to go over top.  Even if the original object being modeled is shiny, the shine of the paint doesn't scale downward on smaller objects, and the tiny object looks tinier with the shine on it.

anson

Gloss or semi-gloss is the way to go in my personal opinion!
This was the closest prop to the real thing and the original Met boxes were glossy as hell...

This is an excellent model, you've nailed the dims!

lorisarvendu

Cush25.jpg

Handles on, but the varnishing will have to wait, because I've decided I want to keep a satin finish if poss, so I need some satin varnish.

lorisarvendu

While I'm waiting to buy some varnish (after which I'll put the signs on), I thought I'd take it out into the garden for some shots in daylight.  I stood well back and used full zoom, which helps reduce the "model-ness".

Cush26.jpg

Cush27.jpg

Cush28.jpg

Cush29.jpg

lorisarvendu

Hah! Looks like I've found the right kind of varnish!

Photo0079.jpg

lorisarvendu

Well after varnishing I decided I really wasn't happy to leave the sides of the window panels white. They really should be blue, and although I dread doing such delicate painting, I've done it before so I've really got no excuse.  Unfortunately one does go over the lines a bit, and then this happened.

Cush30.jpg

ARGH!!!  And it splashed on the "glass" too!  I thought the model was screwed.  Luckily though I managed to wipe off the glass, and then began covering it with white acrylic.  3 coats later and the damage was repaired.

Cush31.jpg

I have to admit that I'm quite pleased with the colour and texture of the paint.  It's turned out an excellent blue.  I've only got the window edges and the underside of the base to varnish now, and I can do the signs.

lorisarvendu

Apart from the fact that Tardis has to lie on her back for a couple of days for the underside varnish to dry, I call this finished!

Cush33.jpg

lorisarvendu

A final word of thanks to Kay, my lovely wife.  I couldn't have done this model without her assistance. 

In fact I would be unable to do any model with a St John Ambulance sign without her help, as my close-up eyesight just isn't good enough to cut the signs out accurately enough!

Thanks Kay!  ;)

boxman550

what was this made out of and how did you make the lamp because im planning on making a model of the new doctors TARDIS 2018  TARDIS coloured.png

lorisarvendu

Quote from: boxman550 on Nov 23, 2017, 01:12 am
what was this made out of and how did you make the lamp because im planning on making a model of the new doctors TARDIS

I've just looked back and I haven't actually mentioned what material this is!  It's 2mm thick mounting card.  The lamp construction is in the diary, but the lamp itself was cut on a lathe out of a clear perspex rod, by a technician where I work.

russellsuthern

That is a beautiful model.
Looks stunning.
That blue is a great shade and once varnished the colour really "pops".

Great stuff!
Russell

shogs

Fantastic looking model there!

After I finish my current build (Newbery) I thought I'd do a modified Brachacki but now I'm having second thoughts! I haven't watched the films in ages and had forgotten how wonderful that prop was.

lorisarvendu

The plans I used (sorry no dims): http://spacewarp.co.uk/who/CushingBoxV1.3.pdf

The Build Diary:  http://spacewarp.co.uk/who/CushBuild01.htm

My thoughts on the box and how I extrapolated the plans:  http://spacewarp.co.uk/who/CushingTARDIS.htm