Apr 20, 2024, 09:16 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Gloss Questions

Started by willfleming, Jun 17, 2011, 12:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

willfleming

Jun 17, 2011, 12:29 am Last Edit: Jun 17, 2011, 10:45 am by Scarfwearer
Hello everyone..Tomorrow I begin my Tardis build and am flying blind I don't have a set plan as to what I am actually building but should be interesting..my question is Im going with a Latex exterior paint from Lowes (it's close to home) what final finish should I use..gloss, semigloss, high gloss..any suggestions..thanks will
HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

DoctorWho8

Typically Matte or Satin.  Most TARDIS props were painted matte.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Jun 17, 2011, 07:27 am #2 Last Edit: Jun 17, 2011, 07:28 am by galacticprobe
It also depends on which version of TARDIS you're going for. Bill "The Doctor" is right in that most were painted matte. And then you have the exceptions: the TARDIS was a very glossy blue in "The Key To Time" series, and at least semi-glossy in the 1996 "Doctor Who" telemovie.

And then you could go for the real exception and paint it pink for the Classic Series story "The Happiness Patrol" version, where the whole box (except for the phone panel) was painted a nice happy pink. Personally, I thought it was the same color pink my sister painted her VW Beetle - by hand with a brush - which I referred to as "Pepto-Bismol Vomit Pink". (Don't ask how I came up with the name for that color. Don't. Just don't. :P)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

willfleming

Thanks everyone for the info it was very helpful
HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

kid of galafray

i woud use the paint color oxford blue that is the same as the matt smith one you can get it from b@q

Volpone

As someone who's just done a build, a couple things from my recent experience: 
1) The guy working the paint counter is going to look at you like you're from Mars if you come in and ask for "Oxford blue", so you're better off bringing in something they can match up.  (Better still, a Google search will likely find you the proper paint code.)
2) That said, blue changes color a whole bunch, depending on the type and amount of light on it, so what looks just right in one light will be too dark on an overcast day and too light in bright sunlight. 
3) Good on you for thinking about gloss in advance.  I'll confess that I was completely blindsided when the guy asked what gloss I wanted.  For some reason I figured semigloss would give me the best old, weathered look.  (I think I was thinking of all those iron guard rails I've seen over my life that have layer after layer of paint on them.)  In reality a flat probably would've been a better choice. 

The big reason for using a gloss paint is that it will repel dirt.  Since you will probably want your TARDIS to look weathered and grimy, it is pointless to do a glossy paint. 

But since I wasn't about to repaint my box, I capitalized on my error.  I actually did find some satin Oxford blue spraypaint, so I used it in my weathering project.  It turned out pretty well.  I've got shiny areas but then all the nooks and crannies are duller. 

Best of luck and more importantly, have fun!
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.