Apr 20, 2024, 06:34 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

11th Doctor's TARDIS Glass Floor

Started by the doctor who2, Jun 08, 2011, 01:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the doctor who2

Jun 08, 2011, 01:07 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 04:35 pm by Scarfwearer
I'm planning on doing a little project involving the current TARDIS interior and i was wondering if anyone knows any basic dimensions for the glass floor.
If not does anyone know how to get measurements from reference images.
Anything of this sort would be a huge help. :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

ramjet

Jun 08, 2011, 02:05 pm #1 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 02:07 pm by ramjet
This is only best guess, but it will get you started.
Taking the handrail on the stair near us as being 900mm high (pretty standard), I mapped out a grid around the floor and projected an octagon over the square base.

As you can see, it is not a regular octagon, but looks to be about 4800mm across in both directions.

The numbers are approximate dimensions of the sides, and barely take into account the parallex error of measuring them using the photoshop ruler tool.

glass-floor.jpg

the doctor who2

oh WOW!
Thank u so much for that, it'll definitly give me a good start with the measuring up.

Thanks  ;D

riftmaster

riftmaster

ok, here it is :)   http://imgur.com/q8pEC
It is, as far as i am concerned, the best reference you will get of the floor. it was mapped from many sources and used to make my 3d model: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2571.0

the doctor who2

Quote from: riftmaster on Jun 14, 2011, 06:23 am
ok, here it is :)   http://imgur.com/q8pEC
It is, as far as i am concerned, the best reference you will get of the floor. it was mapped from many sources and used to make my 3d model: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2571.0

How very rude of me not to thank you riftmaster, very sorry  :-\

Double WOW  :o !! That information has been invaluable, it has been a HUGE help, thank you so much.

ramjet

Aug 01, 2011, 12:31 pm #6 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2011, 12:32 pm by ramjet
Nice work, Riftmaster.

rob49152

Here is a framegrab of the floor for my virtual console build. It's based on the plans I got from a production person working on the new series. So I accept them as the most accurate you'll ever find.

each square is 200mm in size

Hope it helps

floor.jpg

the doctor who2

Nov 24, 2011, 07:22 pm #8 Last Edit: Nov 24, 2011, 07:23 pm by the doctor who2
WOW!! Thanks so much, this will make things a whole lot easier.
Thanks!! :)

riftmaster

Rob, I was going to post that, but I was not sure if you would mind :)

-Riftmaster

robhowdle

Hi there!

Lots of good posts here, I wanted to share my idea with you because I want to do something similar, I was going to have a glass floor, with about 3 layers like they do in the real thing, a strong glass as the first layer, safety glass as the 2nd layer and the same glass as the first layer of the final one. I also am going to see if I some form of LED strips and run copper wire  inbetween the layers and try to get a pulse-width modulation circuit like the TARDIS Lamp, where the light fades on and off and try to get them to pulse different colours depending on what the user inputs.

What do you think?

Rob
You make the whole of time and space your back yard and what do you have, a back yard... I can't see it anymore but you can, and when you see it I see it - Matt Smith, 11th Doctor

galacticprobe

Dec 07, 2011, 06:25 am #11 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2011, 06:29 am by galacticprobe
I think I saw something, somewhere (Youtube, BBC Web Site, a 'Confidential' - can't remember which) where they talked about the three-layer floor. I believe they said the middle layer was "perspex" for safety. Perhaps the flexibility of the Perspex provides the strength as well as the flexing needed, without cracking? Granted, looking at that grid pattern on the floor it doesn't have many large areas that would flex much, but I would personally want something like perspex or Plexiglas as a middle layer, rather than three layers of glass, even if one is safety glass (unless you're talking about that laminated glass they make car windscreens from; that stuff can stop a 16-lb bowling ball dropped onto it from several feet up, but in quantity enough for the TARDIS console floor it's got to be seriously expensive).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rob49152

It was the very first confidential of the 5th season of with the TARDIS tour. It was 2 perspexs layers with 1 glass I believe.

robhowdle

Very Good point there Dino,

My console is going to be something that will be completed whenever I feel its completed. With mine and going to be linking it to all of electrical things in my house (when I get round to buying one) so for example having those special windows where you an adjust the tint of them by a remote, so then patch the remote into the console so it looks a part of it. I want to do this sort of thing with all of my electrical items including a built in computer system

Rob
You make the whole of time and space your back yard and what do you have, a back yard... I can't see it anymore but you can, and when you see it I see it - Matt Smith, 11th Doctor

galacticprobe

Dec 07, 2011, 04:35 pm #14 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2011, 04:35 pm by galacticprobe
Wow, Rob! That's some serious ambition you've got there. (Talk about the ultimate Dream House!)

You'll be the envy of many when you're done with it. I wish you nothing but the best of luck in that endeavor, my friend!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"