Apr 26, 2024, 06:48 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

how do i make a dalek dome

Started by kid of galafray, Jun 04, 2011, 09:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kid of galafray

Jun 04, 2011, 09:36 am Last Edit: Jun 04, 2011, 12:35 pm by Scarfwearer
i am building a dalek for a event but i need to how any thing to use for the dome

riftmaster

what style dalek are you making?

superrichi1a

Try this:

http://www.dalekcity.co.uk/

Menu on right:
>Construction >Main Sections >Dome

It's surprisingly easy to make a classic series dome by this method, especially if you are familiar with the method, but very time consuming. I made my New Series dome this way, but that takesa lot longer, and there are so many more things to get right and not to mess up on.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

riftmaster

don't forget to check www.projectdalek.com , there are many build diaries on there!

btw, what budget are you looking at, as this will be a major factor in picking materials to use

Scarfwearer

If you're not comfortable working with fibreglass (as I'm not) you might like to try a papier mache dome.
There's a topic about this on projectdalek.com:
Papier Mache Dome - not a silly idea .

ProjectDalek.com hosts a lot more dalek-building expertise than we have here, and is a better place to ask questions and feature your build.

Crispin

kid of galafray

Quote from: riftmaster on Jun 04, 2011, 10:16 am
what style dalek are you making?

may be the new dalek or clasic one

Oblivion

Jun 04, 2011, 12:14 pm #6 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2011, 12:15 pm by Oblivion
Depends on how accurate you want it to be. My friend used a slightly trimmed down black IKEA 'Brasa' pendant light shade. They are made of metal, are the right size and it looked great, if not, as I said 100% accurate.  
Hampshire UK

kid of galafray

Quote from: Oblivion on Jun 04, 2011, 12:14 pm
Depends on how accurate you want it to be. My friend used a slightly trimmed down black IKEA 'Brasa' pendant light shade. They are made of metal, are the right size and it looked great, if not, as I said 100% accurate.  

i may look at it near my locole ikea

lswl

Why not take a large circle of cardboard and cut a triangle in it, and bring one side over to the other and it will start to form a cone, bring it over so its close, and then bend the sides a little. Should look decent enough