Mar 29, 2024, 06:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS demo in laymans terms

Started by austin, May 30, 2011, 12:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

austin

May 30, 2011, 12:04 pm Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:08 pm by Scarfwearer
Hello all, Looking into setting up a sound/light system for a tardis & found this video on youtube -

I've been to Maplin but they just offered me a small circuit board but i wanted to replicate the setup in the youtube clip anybody give me any help with component parts number or help in general !!!

Is it possable to use a p.i.r. (in-fa red light) to activate the sound system when you approach the tardis?

Thank-you for any help received   ;)
happy when using my hands...:D

slidin_sidewayz

What the hell is with this pronouncing "soldering" as "soddering"? Does he say he is "odder" than his younger sister/brother? How about "I'd hate to live up north where it'd be much codder in winter"? BAH!  :P

Rassilons Rod

It's a "North American" accent thing. I have got into some large (but still friendly... ish) arguments with my Canadian friend about it. And also about some other words. Craig, for example is Rhymes with Greg, instead of Cray.

Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on May 31, 2011, 07:53 am
What the hell is with this pronouncing "soldering" as "soddering"? Does he say he is "odder" than his younger sister/brother? How about "I'd hate to live up north where it'd be much codder in winter"? BAH!  :P
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

invadrzim

What the hell is with this pronouncing "soldering" as "soddering"? Does he say he is "odder" than his younger sister/brother? How about "I'd hate to live up north where it'd be much codder in winter"? BAH!  :P

Ha! you ever heard someone from New England? We Paahhk Caahhs, drink from bubblers, and get cot speeding.  ;D

took me ages to lose that accent

merrick

That was a pretty handy tutorial. I used it as a basis for when I made a sound and light thingo for my TARDIS (which I'm yet to install)  ::)

I also made a video. You can compare my Aussie accent to his Yank one.  :D

slidin_sidewayz

I'll be the first to admit we Aussies talk funny. However I make sure that it's only a regional thing, and not a "we say this particular word this way but all others that are spelled similar are pronounced completely different". Older, bolder, colder, folder, holder, SOLDER! :)

slidin_sidewayz

Whoa! Merrick! Mate, you know who your voice reminded me of? Ever played Counterstrike? More specifically, have you done the training part of the game? Your voice sounded just like this bloke!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqGrnXFX8Vk

But aside from that, I have to say one thing about the (albeit impressive levels of technical quality of these two builds) way these circuits operate. I see both use the "sound to light" approach, which, if you look at the show, is not how the light actually operates. It flashes at a set rate regardless of the sound. Allow me to demonstrate with the following clip-
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59mp6_tardis-materialisation_shortfilms

merrick

Jun 01, 2011, 08:52 am #7 Last Edit: Jun 01, 2011, 08:53 am by merrick
LMAO, that guy has a really Aussie voice, but then at times it sounds Kiwi.

Don't show me that video cos now I'll have to change my circuit! I could modify it so it activates a switch that runs a simple flasher.

Osric

May 20, 2012, 02:46 pm #8 Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:02 pm by osric
What the hell is with this pronouncing "soldering" as "soddering"? Does he say he is "odder" than his younger sister/brother? How about "I'd hate to live up north where it'd be much codder in winter"? BAH!  :P

LOL I've always pronounced it "saw-der" so I looked it up... apparently that's the standard American pronunciation, which is what you'll find in any American English dictionary: http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/solder

Though here in Massachusetts it's more commonly pronounced "saw-duh" (similar to the Brit pronunciation of "doctor").

But back on topic:  

If I figure out how to build a circuit that just flashes the light at regular intervals, I'll post it here. The sound synced flashing is clever, but it's not what I want on my box. I'm also looking for a way to run this off of batteries, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

old type 40

Hello, new member and long time 'Police Box' enthusiast. Have had plans for one project or another for over 15 years now. Will finally be doing an 'abbreviated' version this coming Spring an have all in order BUT the FX effects I'd like to incorporate. I've reviewed these various help-tips many times. Have viewed Austin's YouTube walk-thrus MANY times especially. But I suppose I'm dumber than the average "layman", LOL. I've relatives who might manage the electronics and work featured there (I'd rather not askthem) but doubt I'd be apt enough myself, though I 'do' understand the basic componets & purposes (I think the set-up is GREAT by the way!). Anyone know of any 'simpler' measures to accomplish roughly same sound/light combo or even JUST audio features?? For example I saw the one gentleman who used an Ipod on a loop attached to a guitar amp and then managed to attach an IR sensor (or remote, I don't recall). Anyone know of anything along those lines which doesn't involve the more complex (to me) electronics of the fantastic options I've seen featured here?? OR...would anyone be interested in assembling one of these more amazing contraptions for hire and shipping, LOL.  I 'do' have a proper/original Police Box light&cage that is now 110, so I would 'like' to coordinate this with the audio as you all have....but only if there is a simpler way to accomplish. Otherwise I'll focus on a simple audio feature that is as basic and straightforward as a simpleton like myself can muster ;-) I respect the projects I've seen on here over the years SO very much!! ANY tips from the 'experts' here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gentleman.
invasion of time

slidin_sidewayz

Hi  there. I am not sure if this will help much, but this is what I did. I used a car indicator flasher unit to flash my lamp and an mp3 player feeding a car amp and sub setup to display my box. The mp3 player was a cheapie that I hacked to be controlled by a cheap wireless receiver that has 12 buttons but I used only 2- one for play/pause and one for next. The diagram for the flasher is below. Cheap and cheerful, and NOT synchronised with the audio, as it's supposed to be.  8)Tardis lamp.JPG

Scarfwearer

How do you go about hacking an MP3 player with a wireless receiver like that? I've sometimes wanted to things like that and not been able to figure it what to do.

Crispin

old type 40

Hi Slidin, That is definitely a different approach then anything else I've seen and worth consideration. More straightforward that's for sure. Thanks for sharing the concept. Ya' know, I REALLY like the FX boards that have been built by others and highlighted on here. The effect is great. And I can even wrap my head around the componets themselves and how they interact with one another. But actually properly routing the wires between all componets AND soldering....not sure it's within my 'skill set'. I've a grandfather who's an electrical engineer but now has VERY shaky hands an can no longer do such work (had to give up designing/installing his zero scale train room BECAUSE of this). Also have an Uncle who is quite electronics capable/literate, and I'm sure he could likely assist me with on of those type setups....I just hate to ask having not seen/visited for many years and he has so much on his plate these days. In the end I just couldn't imagine that there wasn't an easier way requiring less chip boards and wiring, etc...When I first designed my plans in the 80's I was to use a cassette player with recorded LOOP and held on play with power to be introduced with flip-switch thus activating play-mode (as well as light). I just imagine that there has to be a similar yet even better way today that also works utilizing 'basic/novice' technology & componets. You're plan is a fairly straightforward notion, and a bit out of the box...definitely worth putting on the drawing board. As you said it doesn't synchronize the light to audio, and I know there's some disagreement out there on this matter. As a purist I acknowledge the point but also must admit the effect IS pretty dramatic & cool, LOL, and using THAT componet is ironically one of the few which I 'do' understand somewhat clearly. In the end I'd like to take a bit from everyones designs/efforts and utilize to come up with a 'hybrid' design/setup that works for me (and is doable). So thank you for the contribution, it definitely gives me an additional tool to utilize! I welcome and appreciate any and all ideas or suggestions anyone is gracious enough to share. Hopefully someday I can same for others :)
invasion of time

slidin_sidewayz

Well Crispin, I'm a little bit honoured and humbled to be of assistance to you, having seen what you ARE capable of. I'll try to explain what I did. I bought a cheap mp3 player that had a speaker and usb port, as well an SD card slot, but due to ease of changing files I just used the flash drive option.  I ran the speaker output out to the input of a car subwoofer and amp setup running off the same power supply. I pulled the mp3 player apart and found the controls were just press buttons on a separate board. The wireless controller has 12 relays on the board that have normally open and normally closed  terminals. I connected 2 wires from the N.O. connections to the mp3 control button board, effectively connecting the relays in parallel with the existing buttons. When my remote buttons were pressed the corresponding relays on the receiver activated (in momentary mode, that is) and selected the function I wanted. Play/pause were one button and the other was next track. I found out that I could control volume too, actually, but that pretty much stayed the same for the whole show. Good luck. ;-)

slidin_sidewayz

Haven't tried this before on my phone so I hope it works. Here's how the flasher unit approach looks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdBKhpmo99E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fingers crossed.