New, New TardisBuilders!

Solid Oak DVD Storage TARDIS

Started by larry cain, May 21, 2011, 01:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

larry cain

Jun 10, 2011, 08:33 pm #75 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2011, 08:38 pm by larry cain
I have the base completed and stained and just put on the 2nd coat of Poly
base 001.JPGbase 005.JPGbase 004.JPGbase 002.JPGbase 006.JPG
I just bought a new can of Mini-wax Poly so I figured one more coat to the top, I love things to shine.
This project is so close to being completely done, I better be careful I will shock the wife with a finished project. lol
Hope you enjoyed the post so far.
Larry

willfleming

HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

larry cain

Jun 11, 2011, 07:38 pm #77 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2011, 07:48 pm by larry cain
Well I pretty much call this Tardis Done  8)
I need to place the shelf's in to hold the DVD'S and figure best place for the light.
Check it out, shortly it will be in the house because Momma wants it inside now. She likes it.
TARDIS COMPLETED 002.JPGTARDIS COMPLETED 003.JPGTARDIS COMPLETED 004.JPGTARDIS COMPLETED 005.JPGTARDIS COMPLETED 006.JPG
I wish you could see how close it fits on the inside and the slides are wonderful and it rolls very easily around. This will hold at least 184 DVDs. My guess is even with all 184 DVDs extended it will not tip because it has a bit of weight to it.
It's time to bring this Tardis inside the house.
Thanks everyone for your comments, I will post pics once it's lit up and inside my house.
I had a great two weeks building this.
Larry

b4dw0lf

Paul Bradford
Tech Manager, Ghost Hunters International (GHI),
SyFy Channel, USA.
http://www.syfy.com/ghi

http://facebook.com/GHIPaul
http://twitter.com/GHIPaul

larry cain

Jun 11, 2011, 08:53 pm #79 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2011, 05:21 pm by Scarfwearer
TARDIS is in my house for now  ??? ???
TARDIS IN THE HOME 003.JPGTARDIS IN THE HOME 002.JPGTARDIS IN THE HOME 001.JPG
C/ yah soon,
Larry

larry cain

Jun 13, 2011, 01:05 pm #80 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2011, 01:12 pm by larry cain
I have some blurry shots due to a PC and Camera issue I am having and I hope to get my computer back from my son where I can use my Canon disk for pics.
night time shots 009.JPGnight time shots 011.JPGnight time shots 006.JPG
This is all the light from a 7 watt night light just sitting on top the racks and not mounted yet. The light easily comes thru all four signs so easily. I was surprised it would light so well from just one tiny night light.
Again sorry for the quality the camera disk that fits my laptop is not a great picture taker. LOL Blame the camera when I do not know anything of night shots lol.
Thanks all again,, updates in a few weeks time for my attention on my dune buggy.
Larry

geminitimelord

Well Larry I must say that Oak build TARDIS looks really good with the Oak Decor of the house.

Nice Job.

larry cain

Thanks because me and the Mrs. do like our Oak lol, Just wished I had better pics for the lights. I will have some before long.
Thanks Again for the Heavy Build link I shared it with a couple friends and they like it.

lswl

I'm curious, have you thought of painting it blue?

larry cain

;D Never,, only because it's one of a kind solid Oak the cost was over $300 just to build it. If any regrets was maybe a Tung oil and not the Early American Mini wax that I used. Honestly the Oak grain is amazing. If it was mere pine or popular sure lets paint it. I wished I would have played with blue tint stains. Time was short since I entered the contest so late and I really run out of time to experiment with colors. So I followed what I thought was best at the time.
Thanks for looking,
Larry

willfleming

looks killer the way it is...love it
HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

larry cain

I have my PC back from my son and will try to get some night shots of the Tardis with the light on
Keep us posted Will with your Tardis build,
Larry

philipw

It's clear you guys like oak. Always a great choice.

It looks so good there I bet you'll miss it when it's gone.

Very nice work. Clearly not your first furniture project.  :)

larry cain

Thanks Phil,
After seeing your work and your projects, I am humbled. Seeing you craftsmanship and shop was such a treat, I am damn near down on one knee "Sir"  ;)
This project started out to be for another person, BUT I like to keep a certain quality in some of the things I build and unfortunately that ups the cost. Then the Tardis contest got me hooked I was not going to trade off quality for cost. I knew within a few days after I started the build the idea of shipping this to AZ from Michigan was not going to happen. So it became my build and cost was an easy $300 just in material. Like you I have a bunch of material on hand. Not as much now lol.
Right now we enjoy looking at it especially lit up at night and my neighbors love it. Hard to figure what two weeks of labor is when your retired and all. My wife is happy and that makes me happy. Been given lots of ideas if I wanted to let it go, and since the room is small. Time will tell what will happen. I would love to build a full size one next, sounds silly but it would be so easy when you can just paint it up and hide the little flaws that you can't hide or except in a furniture piece.
Thank you Phil,, BTW My son lived in Dallas for a few years and I fell in love with Texas and miss it.   

Organic Mechanic

Wow is that beautiful! The only thing that would make it better would be to fill it with Doctor Who DVDs. ;)

Your choice of stained glass for the windows turned out perfectly too. You must be very proud of this piece,