Apr 26, 2024, 08:37 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Solid Oak DVD Storage TARDIS

Started by larry cain, May 21, 2011, 01:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pod

I think I actually prefer the taller version! Either way though, this is a fantastic build, I'm loving watching this. One question, why did you choose that shape of window grid as opposed to the traditional six-paned version? This is not a criticism, they look great, just wondering whether this was an aesthetic choice or some other reason.  :)

larry cain

I am going to make the the window grids the correct way, I think I have A.D.D. lol I am not sure but I thought that was the shape then my Buddy told me I made a mistake on the shape. I was surprised I was so far off.
I made them like Anderson window company's
I just left them on for updates, this week I plan on having everything covered. It's a short week for me hope I still get my goals accomplished.
Thanks for your comments. 

willfleming

Looks great..you do nice work..look forward to seeing it finished
HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

pod

May 29, 2011, 02:26 pm #48 Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:58 pm by Scarfwearer
This is such a unique and fantastic build. What are you going to use for the glass in the windows? I think with all that beautiful oak, some type of coloured stained glass would be perfect! I hope you don't mind me butting in like this, I just can't help mouthing off about this build, I haven't seen anything like it before. Perhaps those more knowledgeable than myself may be able to advise me on this - is this the first ever timber-stained TARDIS DVD cabinet??

larry cain

I am building this for someone and he suggested the white glass, I have a gold stain glass that would just set this thing right off, I have plenty of this gold and yellowish wonderful looking glass. I will cut a few pieces and place it in. I know he meant to keep this Tardis looking but being a Oak piece of furniture should make for some slight modification.
I will get something up on Monday or Tuesday on the glass, it free got it from a demo project and it's awesome stuff. I got the white acrylic pretty cheap.
Larry

larry cain

May 30, 2011, 03:52 am #50 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:59 am by larry cain
here is a pic of some of the stain glass I have on hand,
DSC03234.JPG
I think this is just amazing texture and color and with the dark Oak  this would be one of a kindDSC03233.JPG
My money is on the top golden brown, I was thinking of making the top light fixture a routed rounded Oak with the white speckle glass for the top. Just a thought for now.
If I had enough of the gold left over it could work OR I follow the typical round dome type Tardis light????
Some thing to sleep on.

larry cain

Turns out I have a bunch of the gold-ish yellow-ish glass and will get my stain glass cutter out and cut some and take some pics with the wrong grills in. Have to see the glassd with the Oak stained grills.
We got a nasty heat wave here in Michigan over 90* not used to this in June. Having problems with my air in the garage. Funny it was just last week the heat came on.  ???

larry cain

May 30, 2011, 06:29 pm #52 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:45 pm by larry cain
 ;) UPDATE SHOTS  :o
DSC03277.JPGDSC03278.JPG
NOW TELL ME THAT'S NOT SEXY I LOVE THE STAINED GLASS AND I COULD EVEN MAKE THE FRONT DOOR OUT OF IT, BUT I WON'T. LOL
DSC03279.JPGDSC03280.JPG
NOW SOME INSIDE LOOKING OUTSIDE PICS
DSC03281.JPGDSC03282.JPGDSC03283.JPGDSC03284.JPG
Should I make the top light with the same glass or buy a globe???
DSC03287.JPGDSC03288.JPG
Well I think the white glass does not even stand close to the stained glass, so for the contest I will leave the stained glass in and if my buddy still wants the white glass I have that. Silly the stained glass would cost a fortune but I have so much for free, makes this a win win.
I have been pushing real big for my buddy Paul 100291 for the Tardis contest, I hope he wins, for me I would love just to get a nod a good job and a few votes. I already won I made a new friend and a bunch in this forum. Can't take that away lol Love this place
DSC03289.JPG

rocket

Absolutely beautiful, and yes that stained glass looks amazing.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

larry cain

May 30, 2011, 10:48 pm #54 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:52 pm by larry cain
The doors are in clamps for the night  8)
DSC03290.JPGDSC03291.JPG
DSC03292.JPG
Bottom pic is the right door, see the door hinge edge is a touch wider for the use of Blum hinges they have a 35mm hole drilled in the door frame.
See you tomorrow hope everyone had a safe Memorial day.
Larry

larry cain

May 31, 2011, 05:29 pm #55 Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:54 pm by larry cain
Well 10 days into the build and I am getting close  ::) I hope. I found the most awesome globe or light fixture for $6.00 at ACO Hardware and like so many other builds I just need to build a frame around it. My friend sends me a pic of an idea and of course I fall for a different piece. Considering the price I paid was much cheaper and looks so much better once I make the frame around it. Not sure if I will do that next or just hang the doors. If I hang the doors it is just to give an appearance of almost complete but it would be much easier to finish with the doors off.  ???
Here is what I have going on now.
DSC03296.JPGDSC03293.JPGDSC03294.JPG
I LOVE MY LIGHT FIXTURE
DSC03295.JPG
The Signs will be done this Thursday "again" lol They are Vinyl see thru wraps that will allow light to shine thru.
Thanks for watching,
Larry

larry cain

Jun 01, 2011, 01:29 am #56 Last Edit: Jun 01, 2011, 01:33 am by larry cain
Gosh it seems I just keep getting more stuff done hope it keeps going so smooth, I get this fear once the doors are all on that the DVD won't fit LOL I have measured and re-measured but you never know.  ???
Here is the top all stained and one door hung, I just love the Blum style hinges so totally adjustable. Helps cut down on door gaps. If all works out to my specs the gap between the doors should be 1/4". I will still place a slim board over this. Plus I need to build the upper door rest tomorrow. The pull out are 38" and doors are 39" so I have a little room to play with.
Now the update pics.
DSC03306.JPGDSC03307.JPGDSC03308.JPGDSC03309.JPGDSC03310.JPG
I must admit I enjoy the inside view as much as the outside view.
Thanks for looking,
Larry

rocket

This is really looking cool, I want one.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

atomicgraph

Agh yes I like the inside View too! The whole build just screams class and craftsman ship.

larry cain

:o
Gosh Thanks, Really it's a challenge doing this baby in Oak. If I made Raised Panels and not the plywood like all the Tardis are seemed to be built with, this would cost twice as much. I told my buddy way back imagine a full size one out of Oak, WOW and $$$$$ WOW
Spent the day making all the grills for the windows and putting one coat of poly on the lamp. Worked on tweaking the doors and placing the strip to cover the gap between the doors.
I will have some pics in a little bit once I get some stain on a few items. The base and the DVD racks are all that is left from what I can tell. Sure I am over looking something.
Thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciate it.
Larry