Apr 19, 2024, 08:51 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Solid Oak DVD Storage TARDIS

Started by larry cain, May 21, 2011, 01:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket

Coming along very nicely. I like the "Send Help" sign, gave me a good laugh. ;D
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

larry cain

It's important to maintain a sense of humor lol
Thanks for looking
Larry

larry cain

May 24, 2011, 07:20 pm #17 Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:28 pm by larry cain
Well I have not had the that much time in the shop today, but I accomplished a lot in regards to the signs. That is a huge relief and a burden off my chest.
Here is what the white top windows looks like.
DSC03235.JPGDSC03236.JPG
It helps having a local Acrylic shop near by.
I need to give a Big Thanks To my Friend Charlie of Downriver Plastics, INC of Wyandotte Mi. Charlie has been helpful in the past with my projects and now with this.
Any suggestions on the glass grill a single + or should I make it double like I see in some of the Tardis. It seems everyone has a different approach to the windows.
Thanks in Advance,
Larry 

Organic Mechanic

This is turning out beautiful!

lol @ "Send Help!!!"

Elvis Gump

I'm sure you've done a lot of calculating to scale this down from full size, so I'm wondering do the sign boxes seem to jut out a little too far without the roof on, or might that just be a visual trick my eyes are playing on me? It seems like they jut away from the body of the TARDIS about twice as far as they do on the prop.

I really think the wood-stained look is going to be a nice variation.

larry cain

May 24, 2011, 11:10 pm #20 Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:23 pm by larry cain
I think the fact that it's not stained has a lot to do, it is only 1 7/8" sticking out. I admit it looks a bit out there lol I must admit to not having all the measurements and 99% is me just thinking what looks right. I was concerned that the color a bit dark but the poly will change that quite a bit. I have all the police box's assembled and working with 9/16" lumber really made this a lot of work.
DSC03237.JPGDSC03238.JPGDSC03239.JPG
My plan silly or not was thinking if this is transported and laying on the side the police box's will equal the width of the base and this will lay flat for shipping????
That was my plan lol  8)
I hope there was some thoughts about the window grills I will look at more and try to follow along. The police signs will be able to be back lit all four sides, I was happy that I can do this for only $10 per box.  ;D
Thanks for looking,
Larry

deck5

Quote from: larry cain on May 24, 2011, 11:10 pm
I think the fact that it's not stained has a lot to do, it is only 1 7/8" sticking out.

Yes, but what scale are you working to?  The sign boxes on my full-sized TARDIS only stick out 1 3/8" beyond the corner pillars.  If yours is 1:3 scale, a scaled sign-box might only protrude half an inch.

larry cain

I don't have a scale set of plans, but if it sticks out to far I have to run it through the ole planer, I was following a smaller model a friend sent me the only measurements I have was the walls were like 84" tall and the base was like 60" I built this around the two storage racks for the DVD's I wish I had all the measurements. My plan is to slope the roof 2" and put a light on top about 4" square. So nothing is scaled down to a certain size scale I am guessing and just doing a WAG.
I appreciate any help like this to look and try to keep it close. The base should be around 24" to 26" square and height of around 44" 46" with out the light height.

larry cain

I went back and looked at some pics of others and I admit I should cut mine down some but not to scale it does not look good, I can live with a 1" to 1 1/4". My door rails and styles alone do not match a scale. I am glad you brought this to my attention and I will make some modifications.
I would love to have had a set of plans with measurements do you know where to find them. From what I read they were not given out for some reason. I have seen a picture of a Bill Rudloff Tardis this is where I found the base and height.
Larry

larry cain

May 25, 2011, 01:25 am #24 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:28 am by larry cain
DSC03240.JPGDSC03241.JPG
I think you had a great Idea I like the thinner look.
DSC03242.JPG
Funny it does not even look like Oak from the pic, BUT, It's all Oak

pod

Larry, this is such a beautiful piece of work! I can't wait to see the finished product!

larry cain

Thank you,
I just got the talk from momma telling me my head is up my Tardis  :o
I have to agree with her, but not out loud anyways.
I look forward to Friday when I get all my sign stuff from the sign shop.  ;D

Scarfwearer

Quote from: larry cain on May 25, 2011, 12:49 am
I would love to have had a set of plans with measurements do you know where to find them. From what I read they were not given out for some reason. I have seen a picture of a Bill Rudloff Tardis this is where I found the base and height.

In the [ref board=77]Plans[/ref] section of the Workshop. There are scale plans there for most variants with the exception of the current ones.

Crispin

larry cain

Thanks Crispin,
I will try and check that out, then again it may having me tearing down stuff and redo, lol
I am trying to stay close to what I think looks good.
Thanks Again

larry cain

May 26, 2011, 01:02 am #29 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:11 am by larry cain
Today update  :o After getting a piece of Oak slammed into my thumb and belly I slowed things down a bit, still trying to figure how it shot back out. Lost my grip lol pretty much on everything I guess.
DSC03247.JPGDSC03250.JPGDSC03251.JPGDSC03252.JPGDSC03254.JPG
The grill was just a play grill the one's I will make will be sliced from my Rails so they will attach very simple. With redo on the boxes it allowed me to make brackets so I could easily attach each police box with two screws. I also have the first step up for the roof on top each box.
I will get the real signs Friday and I look forward to see how I will light them up.
That's another day, hopefully one with out incidents and bruises.
Please be safe in your builds, sometimes we get a little relaxed and reminded painfully.
Thanks for looking,
Larry