Mar 29, 2024, 03:52 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Type 52 Revision D TARDIS

Started by type_1012_tardis, May 18, 2011, 09:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

type_1012_tardis

Aug 18, 2011, 07:36 pm #15 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2011, 07:41 pm by type_1012_tardis
Yes, davidnagel got it.  Here's a photo from the same angle of the signs:

2.1.2 - speed signs.jpg

In fact, this photo is older than the first, i just hit undo 300-million times to get the earlier one.

And, i've still been busy during "vacation."
In chronological order:

2.1.8 - front wall.jpg
2.1.8 - more space.jpg
2.2.1_ip - wall.jpg
[attachid]2.2.3 - room view.jpg[/attach]
[attachid]2.2.5 - now with lobby.jpg[/attach]
2.2.6 - lobby roof.jpg
[attachid]2.2.6 - side view.jpg[/attach]
[attachid]2.2.7 - another below view.jpg[/attach]
[attachid]2.2.7 - yet another below view.jpg[/attach]

End of Line

Upload attempt ][
looks as though some of the photos are too large, i'll have to shrink them and re-upload, just as soon as i can figure out how i did it before....

End of Line
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

type_1012_tardis

Figured it out, here's the "missing" photos, and a few new ones from the latest model:

Note: the x.y.z is in fact the specific save version of the model, as i "archive" every outdated save.  However, it will prove helpful in labeling the photos, as they keep the file number in their names.

"2.2.3"
2.2.3 - room view.jpg

"2.2.5"
2.2.5 - now with lobby.jpg

"2.2.6"
2.2.6 - side view.jpg

"2.2.7 - another below view"
2.2.7 - another below view.jpg

"2.2.7 - yet another below view"
2.2.7 - yet another below view.jpg

and the new ones, from the lobby
2.2.7 - from lobby.jpg
2.2.7 - from lobby 2.jpg

technically new photos, though the model has not been updated recently, i recently noticed the console has not been shown properly yet:
left to right: command-line panel, coordinate panel, communications panel, desk panel
2.2.7 - console, right side.jpg

left to right: desk, environment, (unknown), command-line again
2.2.7 - console, left side.jpg

End of Line

geminitimelord

type_1012_tardis

A few small updates, mostly (all) clarification:

In case anyone who has seen this still does not get the reference (likely, since we're obsessed whovians), here's a youtube video for clarification: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebAkXuOk9rg
It is deliberately a hyperlink, since it is not in of itself doctor who related.  Also note that due to the mere fact that it's a Mel Brooks film excerpt, it has some swearing in it.  Just in case you would like to know that kind of thing beforehand.

Clarification of the deliberate lack of controls on the console:
Due to the terrible condition of this particular TARDIS (only one of 12 consoles in the entire ship even partially worked still, 5 of the 12 console rooms were dimensionally unstable, and another 2 rooms were toast), my character (still have no room to film... grumble...) had to rewire a brand new console completely from scratch (not counting the schematics and manual that conveniently survived), and due to lack of knowledge how to, combined with the barely-intactness (and not-workingness) of the existing console circuitry (the briode nebulizer survived though, luckily), most of the console is run through an AI main character and command-line, as well as several floppies.  The new(er) consoles (supposedly) use a combination of mac OSes 3, 6, and 7, as well as PRO-DOS (//e) and windows 3.1.1, with several appletalk boxes in each console.

TARDIS networking:
Each console room has its own WI-FI router (Dual-band N), gigabit ethernet line, Mac Pro hardwired to the scanner, appletalk network (console mostly, often with a //e nearby), line to connect localtalk to a central router elsewhere (bridges all console rooms), and the all-important telepathic circuits.  Also a direct data line to the engine room(s).

And the key:
In my TARDIS, the locking-system was completely re-designed from the ground up by my character.  In fact, the key merely needs to be on one's person to open the door.  If they do not have the key (or their telepathic ID is not recognized), then the door opens into the phone booth (subject to the one or three bugs in the program, due to need for loopholes for plot purposes).  If the key is on one's person and they are recognized, then the door (actually a different door) opens into the lobby.  The interior doors open automatically if one with a key walks nearby (even if not entered into the system).
The TARDIS console technically has isomorphic controls.  However, certain controls can be used by anyone with a key who is authorized (separate list from the door).  These controls include, but are not limited to: localized brake, demat brake, command-line (though the commands are very complex, and a passcode is required), phone, scanner switch, and the wireless power terminal (which automatically recharges, say, TimeVortexCONNECT-equiped smartphones and sonic devices that are inside the console room).

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Ug.  Working on the primary control room again, as the file was damaged.  Only problem now is that i have to stop every 5-30 seconds and wait a few minutes to get the interface to work.  The draw tools don't seem to want to snap to anything at all.

Will keep you posted
End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Well, given the real console's current location nowhere near a green/bluescreen, the "layout" had to be redone.  The real console is now in a small basement area off of the main control room:

View from just outside the doors whilest in the lobby:
consoleroom1a_2_1 - view from doors.jpg

No need to worry about the lethal quantities of radiation from where the old console exploded, the yellow walls keep it contained.

The short hallway that leads to the "console's basement", plus the main doors and boarded up wall:
consoleroom1a_2_1 - path to console basement.jpg

The door leading to the rest of the TARDIS and what's left of the scanner screen:
consoleroom1a_2_1 - rest of ship & what's left of scanner.jpg

And from above:
consoleroom1a_2_1 - overhead.jpg

Still a work in progress, but makes more sense than the last layout, and easier to edit into real recordings as well

And another room i have been working on, the server room.  This is the home of the A.I. (if that youtube series ever gets made) main character named D.A.V.E. who constantly breaks the fourth wall.  Sharing the space are a giant hexagonal monitor and two digitizer tubes.

Sever down:
1.05 - server down.jpg

Server up:
1.05 - server up.jpg

The server even has a direct UpChuck connection to the console room (UpChuck is to be a sort of "universal interface", more recent "serial" versions get up to several Exabits, which is a recurring complaint due to this TARDIS's older parallel UpChuck connection that can only reach a few dozen terabits/sec).
The sever room is to be cited at one point as consuming "an average of about 6.27 gigawatts of power when running at normal capacity, mostly due to the cooling unit."

Adjusting drift compensators before they short out completely,
End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Well, a few weeks ago i decided to "revisionise" in a single control room that is original to the TARDIS.  This console room is literally about 80 feet down a curve in the hallway past a much-used part of the ship, and resides within the "unexplored" portion.

First off, it is worth mentioning that the fictional universe in which this TARDIS resides has a planar cosmology (anybody remember D&D?).  Due to this, there is a Planar Wing that was added in after it crash landed in this universe.

The Planar Wing:
The Planar Observatory, which has barely been started as of yet; the thing in the center is a 2.3 gigawatt hologram projector capable of filling the entire room with 3D projections
1.01.jpg

The wing's lobby:
1.02 - top view.jpg
1.02 - from the hallway.jpg
1.02 - doors shut.jpg

Directly across from the wing is one of the COMM panels scattered throughout the wooden "explored" parts of the ship.  Waving one's hand in front of one opens a holographic display with intercom, map, and directions to the nearest interior transmat.
1.02 - COMM Panel.jpg

The hallway leading to the wing; behind is the rest of the ship, left is the COMM panel, right is the Planar Wing, and ahead around the left turn is a long stretch of hallway with a door just around the corner with the "original" console room:
1.02 - outer hallway.jpg

The "original" console room, or what's been made of it so far (just the beginnings of the console so far):

The console is a mix of several styles, most obviously right now the five doctor's console merged with the "ceiling suspension" idea, though more elements will be added in over time
Console 1.09.jpg
Console 1.09 - front.jpg
Console 1.09 - timecolumn.jpg

And like all my console ideas, it has 3.5" floppy support on the front panel

When parked or off, the timecolumn elements collapse into the white "caps", as seen here:
Console 1.09 - timecolumn collapsed.jpg
Console 1.09 - parked.jpg

End of Line
The second one is how it looks "parked", the first of these two is just to make it visible.

type_1012_tardis

Well, with the mini-conversation about the zero room going on over at rob49152's "update of 2002 TARDIS" (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2040.0) i was inspired to craft a zero room for my type 52rD.  Here it is:

The zero room from an above view.  The walls alternate pinkish and grey roundels:
1.08 - zero room.jpg

And the zero room's lobby (which also serves as a junction between the rest of the TARDIS and the planar wing, which is a ways down the "south-west" hallway around a few bends that do not fork):
[attachid]1.08 - lobby.jpg[/attach]
1.08 - lobby from 0-room.jpg

The left hallway in the second shot is the "south-eastern" one, the right one is the "south-western" one.  The cardinal directions are done by the same standards as many players interpret the 2-D maps in most video games: up=north, left=west, etc.

As with the rest of my TARDIS, the zero room uses proximity-sensing sliding doors for the simple reason of them being easier to deal with in sketchup than conventional hinged ones.  The excuse is that it was easier for the TARDIS's architectural configuration system to render with so much other stuff being edited at the same time or something like that.

End of Line

Note - one of the photos is too large, i'll have to fix it later as soon as i can remember how.