Apr 20, 2024, 10:27 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Scarfwearer's Season 14 Wooden Console

Started by Scarfwearer, Sep 23, 2009, 08:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Looks like you have a PC table in your console room. Is that your study at the moment?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

I do and it is! :) I figured I'm not spending enough time in here, so I moved my computer desk here.
The result is that I spend less time on the computer and more in the TARDIS...

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

:D Excellent! I bet you love saying that! ;)
Public Enema Number One.

geminitimelord

having your computer set up in there is awesome. You know it would almost be worth another trip to the UK just so I could see your Console room :)  I still cannot believe Jon only met you half way rather than go the distance and see your compound. But then maybe you keep that location a secret and public tours are discouraged LOL...

Scarfwearer

I do generally prefer to remain a man of mystery...

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Some men choose a pair of dark glasses and some men choose a newspaper with eye holes...

That's no multicoloured beard on his face, you know, its his scarf and it's magnificent! ;D
Public Enema Number One.

notard4u

You've taken this to an 'Art-form'...not just simply a 'recreation' in wood. 
If there was Metropolitan Museum for Sci/Fi/Dr. Who Art...your work would be included--without doubt.

Elvis Gump

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jul 26, 2011, 10:58 pm
Well, I guess I could add a couple more false pulls. That would certainly make sense.

Elvis, I'm planning to keep this in my study/library. I'm not currently planning to build the whole console room, but never say "never"... I'm hankering toward maybe doing some wood panelling in there, though. :)
One problem with the wooden roundels is that they weren't actually wood - just fibreglass painted in a wood effect of some kind. It worked fine on screen but would probably seem a bit cheesy close up. It might be possible to make an actual wooden roundel with a router, though... hmmm. Now there's a challenge.

Crispin

Well I just tossed that idea out there because the image kinda popped into my mind. It's rare these days to have a house that has a sort of foyer, mine doesn't, but if one DID have that kinda house, I could see the wooden roundels and stained glass bits. And obviously one wouldn't have the steps up to the door typically like the Wooden Console Room had, but we've all seen those sorts of foyers in architectural magazines or movies where in the entrance way there's a table with a spray of flowers on it and that sort of thing. If one had a foyer that was wide enough that one could walk around it, then the console there, a coat/hat stand to one side, a door with roundels that had stained glass in a style kinda like the set, it would be an awesome look and would be kinda stealthy in a way because it would be a beautiful THING that only another Whovian would go "Oh, hey, it's the Wooden Console Room!" where others would just see an unusual and beautiful foyer. If you know what I mean...

So I toss the idea out there to anyone planning to remodel. If it was something done just right, even the wife might like it.

Scarfwearer

It's a lovely idea, but alas I don't have that kind of house...

Crispin

Elvis Gump

:)
Here's hoping someone will build one! Someday...

handofomega

Out of professional curiosity Crispin, how hard has it been to make this console???   I am seriously considering it.  It is probably the only one I will have room for in the foreseeable future...

Scarfwearer

Sep 04, 2011, 06:01 pm #251 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2011, 06:17 pm by Scarfwearer
After some stirling work by some other members of the forum - http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3050, we're now reasonably confident about the arrangement of the panels in this console, so I can start putting stuff behind the panels.

I've started with some thin card templates, as the angles and measurements are rather complicated.
paper-control-template.jpg

Paper and card templates are easy to adjust with a sharp knife.
Satisified with that, I've moved on to a hardboard template, which is cheap and also fairly easy to cut.
hardboard-control-template.jpg
It'll need a little tidying up but it's pretty close.

hardboard-in-place.jpg

I also made some angled back plates to form the backs of the troughs that the control panels sit in:
back-plates.jpg

The angles needed some refinement: here is where they came out:
back-plate-angles.jpg

(actually I've mislabeled these, as the markings are the angle removed, not the angle remaining, so they should be 70° instead of 20° and 67½° instead of 22½°.  ::))

More compound mitres - this console has pretty much required a compound mitre saw.

Two of the panels hide desk tidies. Well, we think they do. One certainly does and the other is assumed to be one.
I made vertical back plates for these - the angle is easy: 30°.

vertical-backs.jpg

I attached all of these with wood glue and a nail gun.

nailing-back-plates.jpg

and here they are:

three-back-plates.jpg

oops.jpg

Oops! While cutting a template for the desk tidy, the power cable of the jig saw wasn't where I thought it was. There were some sparks, and now I have a small repair job to do.

Here're the templates for the top of the desk tidy to get some appropriate sizes. It looks like there will be room for two drawers! I've no idea whether the original had a stack of two or not, but I might do it anyway.
desk-templates.jpg

It's progress. I'll post some more dimensions when I'm a bit further along - it all seems very small.

Crispin

Scarfwearer

Quote from: handofomega on Aug 27, 2011, 12:41 am
Out of professional curiosity Crispin, how hard has it been to make this console???   I am seriously considering it.  It is probably the only one I will have room for in the foreseeable future...

Well I'm hardly a professional, so for me it's been fairly difficult, and the result could never be mistaken for real furniture making. Having said that, it's a lot of fun, I'm learning a lot, and if you don't mind re-doing bits you get wrong and are patient then it seems quite doable. I wouldn't try it without a compound mitre saw, though. An expert could probably do it with hand tools, but that would be beyond me. I'm conscious that I'm paving the way a bit with this one: I've built daleks before, but there are lots of people online to help and advise, and plenty of build diaries to look at. Hopefully the builds that come after mine will be much better... :)

Crispin

davidnagel

Regards
David

rocket

Looks awesome, and yeah it really does look tiny compared to the normal console.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.