Mar 28, 2024, 12:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2011 "The Doctor's Wife" Alternate Console

Started by Avadh, May 10, 2011, 11:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Avadh

May 10, 2011, 11:53 pm Last Edit: Apr 01, 2023, 03:34 am by warmcanofcoke
Classic series style Tardis console as designed by Blue Peter winner Susannah Leah has actually been made and was unveiled on todays edition of Blue Peter. I absolutely love it and it is very much like the classic series tardis consoles such as the pertwee/tom baker consoles. I cant wait to see it in action in the new series.

Here is the link http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/05/dwn100511185508-character-to-release.html

DoctorWho8

Finally, it took them 2 years to get to this.  I thought it went by the wayside.  They must have had to hold it off as it's probably going to be used in The Doctor's Wife.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

May 11, 2011, 05:52 am #2 Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:53 am by galacticprobe
So, who is going to be the first to try building a replica of this console? (Or maybe more importantly, how long will it take to identify the bits and pieces it's made from?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

invadrzim

May 11, 2011, 06:28 am #3 Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:17 am by Scarfwearer
Im supposed to be writing a paper, so i see no better way to procrastinate than screen shotting the videos of this console.

General Panel shot 1:
bp_panel01.JPG

General Panel shot 2:
bp_panel02.JPG

General Panel shot 3:
bp_panel03.JPG

General Panel shot 4:
bp_panel04.JPG

General Panel shot 5:
bp_pnel05.JPG

The radio:
bp_radio.JPG

bp_radio02.JPG

The keyboard:
bp_keyboard.JPG

bp_keyboard02.JPG

other bits:
bp_lamp.JPG
bp_mirror.JPG
bp_ropeandvavles.JPG
bp_rotor.JPG
bp_shower.JPG
bp_tapedeck.JPG

Edit: Mods, i know theres sort of another thread about this but that seemed more a thread talking about how its finally going to be on the show and less about posting referency pics. If i got that wrong sorry.

lswl

Quote from: invadrzim on May 11, 2011, 06:28 am
Im supposed to be writing a paper, so i see no better way to procrastinate than screen shotting the videos of this console.

We're all so proud, Doctor who instead of writing a paper :'(
(Procrastinaters Unite! Tomorrow.)

slidin_sidewayz

Ok, I'll take the plunge here. What on earth IS that monstrosity? Surely they're not going to use that in the show?

charlie98210

May 12, 2011, 01:47 am #6 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:48 am by charlie98210
The keyboard is so cute! Along with the make-up mirror and
hand-held shower head fixture (and cassette deck controls).

I also liked the clothes hanger.  ::)
"Wait a sec! 'They shouldn't have been poking their fingers in
things they knew nothing about?' Isn't that what we always do?"
"Yeah...but we're good at it."

drew30

i'm sorry but i gotta ask also. what is this? i know it is some kind of console and it looks like it's in a tardis from the walls but what is is and where is it from. this almost looks like something the doctor would have built if he was stuck in the early 80's or late 70's if he lost he tardis or something happened to it and he needed to quickly build build a tardis. lol. but this is quite neat looking.

galacticprobe

May 12, 2011, 06:23 am #8 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:23 am by galacticprobe
Also, this is supposed to be the console designed by the Blue Peter and BBC's "Design a TARDIS Console" Contest. Contestants had to be under a certain age, and the winning design was supposed to be used last season, but we all know how delays go and it was pushed back until this season. (I think that other thread invadrzim mentioned has more on that, and a link as well.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

May 12, 2011, 05:33 pm #9 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:54 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: lswl on May 12, 2011, 12:01 pm
Quote from: galacticprobe on May 12, 2011, 06:23 am
Also, this is supposed to be the console designed by the Blue Peter and BBC's "Design a TARDIS Console" Contest.

So some kid made a console and it appeared in Doctor Who! Lucky!  ;)

Lucky? Heck yeah she's lucky! (That's right; the winner was a girl. Score one for equal opportunity since we usually see guys winning competitions! And strangely, her first name is Susannah - very similar to Susan, the First Doctor's granddaughter. I just love coincidences like that!) Here's the link to the story that 'avadh' posted in the other thread:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/05/dwn100511185508-character-to-release.html

Not only does her console appear in a "Who" episode, but according to the article CO is also going to release this version of TARDIS console in their "Who" line up. Click on the "Reveal" buttons to see photos and additional info. (I hope she gets some form of royalties from the sales!)

And here is the "Contest" page link that started it all, for those who haven't seen it yet:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/bluepeter/getinvolved/competition.shtml

The links on the right side are for the templates, rules, and such. The links in the center of the main page show the winner's design and some designs of the runners-up. (The links on the left are just for other things on the site.)

You'll notice that, like with any design, some modifications and revisions were made between the winner's drawings and the console being built, but most of the design elements are still there.

Darned shame that just about everyone on this Forum was over their age limit for entering this contest. Who knows what we might have come up with? Heck, some of the people here have already come up with original console designs that are well worthy of appearing in a "Who" episode. Just look in our Console Build Diaries sub-board and you'd find some real winners. I've got two personal favorites in there, but rather than mentioning names and risking starting a huge debate over which original design might have been the winner, I'll just let everyone get another look at some of the inventive talent we have here, and again say that it was a shame the BBC limited this contest to such a young age group. (We definitely missed out on something really cool!)

Dino.

handofomega

Quote from: invadrzim on May 11, 2011, 06:28 am

General Panel shot 5:
bp_pnel05.JPG

What I like is that the panel that the controls are attached to is reminiscent of a circuit board.  It is similar to a console design I came up with about a year back.  I like it!!!

warmcanofcoke

May 15, 2011, 12:05 am #11 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2011, 11:25 am by Scarfwearer
JunkTardis001.jpg
JunkTardis002.jpg
JunkTardis003.jpg
JunkTardis004.jpg
JunkTardis005.jpg
JunkTardis006.jpg
JunkTardis007.jpg
JunkTardis008.jpg
JunkTardis009.jpg
JunkTardis010.jpg
JunkTardis011.jpg
JunkTardis012.jpg
JunkTardis013.jpg
JunkTardis014.jpg
JunkTardis015.jpg
JunkTardis016.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

May 15, 2011, 12:59 am #12 Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:00 am by galacticprobe
Got a few nice pics of the underside of this console. They didn't show any underside images in the contest winner's drawings so those are a nice plus. Granted, with the exception of the Matt Smith console there really hasn't been much to see on consoles' undersides, but more photos like this (of any console) would be welcome.

Dino.

Kingpin

Part ID: The Keyboard.

keyboardpp.jpg

It is a "Beanstalk keyboard", although the ones I've found have a differing fascia sticker, possibly to avoid issues concerning branding.

galacticprobe

Jul 14, 2011, 05:01 pm #14 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2011, 05:01 pm by galacticprobe
I've been looking at this console and I think that crank handle the Doctor uses a lot while piloting this console is the same part as used on his console to operate the Quantum Foam Manipulators. You can see him operating this handle in several in several of the above photos, and in the detailed photos starting at the top you can get a close look at the handle. On that same panel there's a large knob that looks like it came from some piece of electronic equipment, like a signal generator or such. That knob may require some hunting through electronic sections of second-hand or antique shops.

That dark dome on the panel above the keyboard (ID'd by Kingpin) looks very similar to the domes that cover small surveillance cameras that you find in stores these days. You can find domes like that at craft stores and just paint them black in the inside, or now they have paint that puts a dark tint on clear objects to some light can come through, yet it looks dark when the lights are off (if you want this dome to have light showing through it).

The two blue "handles" on one of the panels are foam grips from a jump rope. (I forget where I saw that, but they actually showed one of the prop people playing with the jumprope before installing it in the console.) That monitor housing looks like it's a recreation of one from the Five Doctors console. That large brass disc with the slots around its edge (on the panel in the photo with the worker wearing the red hard hat) looks like one of the pieces from the Tennant console.

The desk lamp and extendable mirror I know I've seen in stores like Target or Walmart, so they should be easy enough to find; the same goes for the shower head. And there also are valve handles (or wheels, whatever their called - like the kind you find on water spigots for garden hoses and other such valves) on several panels. You can find those at any home improvement store plumbing section. Also the small "spot lights" on the console's underside can also be found in such stores (you just need to use red bulbs).

The other pieces on this console elude me for now, but I welcome others to try and ID as many of them as possible. This is an interesting console and would make for a fun build.

Dino.