Apr 20, 2024, 11:37 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

8th Doctors Sonic

Started by Oblivion, May 08, 2011, 12:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

May 08, 2011, 12:52 pm Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:44 pm by Oblivion
Following on from making my 7th Doctor Brolly out of scraps from around the house, I've decided that my next scratch/scrap build is going to be the 8th Doctors 'new' sonic :) And it all starts in ernest right here tomorrow ;) The most difficult section for me is going to be the crystal at the end of the sonic. So with that in mind I'm going to utilize the spare piece of acrylic rod left over from my question mark brolly. This will serve as the blue crystal :) I've marked it out, now for the hard work forming it !

21j0kr4.jpg
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

May 08, 2011, 03:54 pm #1 Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:55 pm by Scarfwearer
Well I think the Crystal is taking shape, but boy it's hard work  ::)

2mze6pi.jpg
Hampshire UK

Kingpin

Looking really nice so far...

Although, I suspect you're going to hate me.  The crystal was actually hexagonanl in shape:

15304787.jpg

(I do wonder if it was mounded from a Christmas decoration, a bit like this one):
cffl77qewkkgrhqqokj4e00.jpg

Oblivion

May 08, 2011, 05:54 pm #3 Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:52 am by Scarfwearer
;D How funny. You know what I thought it was. I only have your great photos to work from. From one angle it looked hexaginal, you can see from my first picture I even marked it out. But then from the top and another angle it didn't :-\ Hope you don't mind me using your pic, but see what I mean. Unless it Was just the tip that was rounded ? Any help would be really appreciated, I've never seen the real deal.

55883983.jpg
Hampshire UK

Kingpin

If I had a problem with you using the photos, I never would've posted them for public use.  :)

It's sort of a mixture of rounded and hexagonal, the end is definitely curved, rather than pointed, but by the mid-point the emitter crystal takes on a definite straight hexagon.  Unfortunately as it's now several months since I saw it, my recollection isn't going to be as good as what the photos are able to show.

Oblivion

May 08, 2011, 06:33 pm #5 Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:34 pm by Oblivion
Thanks for that  ;) Mmmm, well I'm going to have to do the best job possible with the references available. Flying partially blind making this, that's a challenge in itself ;D
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

Continuing on today I've realized that this is going to be a serious labour of love. It looks like I'm going to have to sculpt and cast each individual piece of McGann's Sonic ! It's going to be very labour intensive ::) of course I should have seen that before I even began. Anyway this is what I've got thus far.

c6nfk.jpg
Hampshire UK

Kingpin

Looking good so far.  I can't fully tell from the angle, but the section that projects from the thickest ring, are the sides straight, or sloped?  I believe that section was sloped.

Oblivion

You can't tell from that photo no, but it is indeed angled. I've also just cut a section off from the bottom of the rod because it was too long. More tomorrow  ;)
Hampshire UK

Kingpin

Looking forward to it, only one replica has been made of the Sonic to date, and a number of the details were pretty far off.

I'm confident yours is going to look spectacular when finished.  Are you going to cannibalize one of the Character Option Sonics for the electronics?

Oblivion

May 13, 2011, 08:16 am #10 Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:18 am by Oblivion
Thanks for the kind comment  :) I've just looked up a picture of that other replica, it does indeed have quite a few quite major inaccuracies. I intend to do my best to make my version as accurate as possible to the original, though obviously limted by the reference material available.
Hampshire UK

the_doctor

May 13, 2011, 02:26 pm #11 Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:26 pm by the_doctor
I've got a couple of pics of it too, don't know if they will be of any use but I'll post them up when I find them!

Oblivion

May 13, 2011, 05:06 pm #12 Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:15 pm by Oblivion
That would be great, thanx. Not much to show for a days work ::) just fine sanding and of course that collar thing has been a nightmare to make. I've had to do it in individual pieces, it still has loads of shaping to do to get it looking the part .......................

14vmljs.jpg29413rd.jpgslgoqq.jpg
Hampshire UK

riftmaster

I have to be honest; i don't like the sonic...... However :), i love your prop

it looks very accurate, can't wait for the next update

riftmaster

Kingpin

Quote from: Oblivion on May 13, 2011, 05:06 pm
Not much to show for a days work ::)

It's a good pace you're maintaining, concentrating on the fine details of each section.