Apr 16, 2024, 11:47 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Oblivion's 7th Doctor's Brolly

Started by Oblivion, May 06, 2011, 12:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

May 06, 2011, 12:31 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:49 am by Oblivion
Only started this a few days ago. I'm literally knocking it up from things that I can find lying around the house ! The only specific thing I've purchased especially for the project is the 25mm Acrylic bar. So first up was the jig to form the handle which I put together using a bit of old chipboard, a cut up cork sanding block and a 3 inch coffee jar lid ;) The acrylic bar I placed in the oven on a baking tray for about 15 to 20 minutes at 200c. Formed it round the jig and then threw the whole thing (inc the jig) into a bucked of cold water to set. In order to round the ends of the handle I simply heated them up with an electric paint stripper until the ends formed a soft glob and then quickly smoothed and rounded them off with a wet cloth. They came out 99% perfect although I did have to work very quickly and effectively.

2rh2o9v.jpg2ykf2n8.jpg

Next I removed the handle from an old but hardly used metal walking brolly.

6jjzfb.jpg

Then I masked off the tip top and bottom, undercoated and then sprayed it red.

2dua79t.jpg

Not wanting to take the easy option and simply drill a hole in a plain wooden dowel cap for the dot of the question, I opted to build something much more like the original prop, where the 'dot' is actually the sliding clip that holds the brolly closed. With this in mind I modified a 1.5 inch Christmas bauble and the case of a thick marker pen. Using some Millput and plenty of wet'n'dry paper the finished result was perfect.

ip13mc.jpghv1oqe.jpg

Light wet'n'dry sanding of the handle and stop gap (another section of the marker pen) and we are ready for an undercoat and top coat of all the main sections.

23ku43.jpg

And after several coats of high gloss acrylic paint .................

okz86c.jpg6p2jv8.jpg2yv59bs.jpg

Hampshire UK

superrichi1a

Looks great, mate! I was shocked when I saw this, I too have just started one of these and it appears we have the exact same umbrella! You, know, if that frill at the base of the umbrella annoys you, you can just pull it off with ease.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Oblivion

May 06, 2011, 05:28 pm #2 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:56 pm by kayal
Quote from: superrichi1a on May 06, 2011, 04:37 pmYou, know, if that frill at the base of the umbrella annoys you, you can just pull it off with ease.

Really :o Wish I'd known that yesterday. Bit cagey about doing it now in case it pulls the new paint job with it. I've left the whole lot to really dry out now for a few days before putting it all together. Even though at times these things feel dry you can easily leave a thumb print in the paint if you grip too hard. Post a few pics of yours when your done, I'd really like to see it ;)

Update: Took a chance and pulled. Yep just as you said, came off with no bother and looks much better :) Thanks for that.
Hampshire UK

Kingpin

The update's looking really great, and once again, super jealous at how easily yours came off.

You went for a reasonable compromise in regards to the tip of the umbrella... it'd be nice to paint the whole thing red but after the amount of time since I finished mine, the very end of the tip is almost completely devoid of paint... and as one umbrella (probably made after the series itself had ended) left a section of the tip unpainted, there's precedent for the option you went with.

Nice work on the bauble "dot", I must keep that in mind for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product... and please do detail how you'll be permanently fixing it to the metal umbrella tube, that's something I haven't tried before.

Oblivion

May 06, 2011, 09:19 pm #4 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:24 pm by kayal
Quote from: Kingpin on May 06, 2011, 06:20 pm
The update's looking really great, and once again, super jealous at how easily yours came off. and as one umbrella (probably made after the series itself had ended) left a section of the tip unpainted, there's precedent for the option you went with.

Thanks :) As I said beginners luck ;D I was watching 'The Curse Of Fenrick' this week and the brolly in that certainly has what looks like an unpainted tip, which is why I did what I did with my prop.
Hampshire UK

lswl

Nice!! I like how the dot opens it.

rocket

Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

Oblivion

May 07, 2011, 09:10 am #7 Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:33 am by kayal
Well it's finally finished (just have to screw the handle to the frame) and I have to say I'm really proud of the finished item, it's a remarkably flawless moulding and paint job ;D And it's about as close to the original prop (shown right) in design and function as my limited skills and equipment will allow. Totally cost in the end around
Hampshire UK

superrichi1a

Looks abseloutly fantastic!
I'm just curious - why does one picture show the handlein perfect condition whilst on the other it looks chipped?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Oblivion

May 07, 2011, 09:28 am #9 Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:48 pm by Oblivion
That's kind, thanx, and I'm going to take that as a HUGE compliment ;D the picture on the right is the original screen used brolly ;)
Hampshire UK

rocket

Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

DoctorWho8

Very well done!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

the_doctor

Rassilons Rod

I must try my hand at one of these one day. I have a small red pool ball with a hole through it that would be ideal, and an umbrella that would fit the job perfectly.

You've done a great job :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Oblivion

Thanks very much :) The build was fun and not as stressful as I thought it was going to be. I've never played around with hot acrylic before :o The brollies paintwork is now completely hardened, I'm really pleased with the high gloss finish.

2qcpm54.jpg
Hampshire UK