Apr 18, 2024, 04:46 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Celation's Hartnell/Troughton Console Build

Started by celation, Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Jan 04, 2013, 03:58 pm #945 Last Edit: Jan 04, 2013, 03:58 pm by rassilonsrod
Wow! The column is almost complete, except for those fiddly mirror cubes.

Looks amazing :)

Thought you'd like those brake lights :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Actually - as I'm going for the TP4/Power time period, the mirrors are missing by that point - so the column interior is actually complete!

markofrani

AMAZING WORK! Looks fantastic lit. Are you going to put the green gels on the tube lights, or were they not included at this point?

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: celation on Jan 04, 2013, 04:04 pm
Actually - as I'm going for the TP4/Power time period, the mirrors are missing by that point - so the column interior is actually complete!

Ah! I didn't realise they were gone at that stage. :)
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

This is an amazing work of genius. I love the attention to detail and the craft and the structure and .... Well done and it isn't even done yet. Really great work.  :o :D ;)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Kingpin

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2013, 06:52 am #951 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013, 06:56 am by galacticprobe
My jaw almost broke it hit the floor so hard (and bounced a few times)! ;) :) :D ;D Phenomenal work of art, that... Jeez can't even call it a mechanism - it's too alive for that! Work of art: phenomenal: definitely both vast understatements, though.

Markofrani, judging by the final appearance of this column interior in "Inferno" where those lights had no greed gel covers, I'd say they weren't in place yet. And I don't they just went missing (like much of the column's pieces had by that point) because in this color publicity photo with William Hartnell at the console:
1A.JPG
you can see one of the lights clearly and there is no green gel over it. So I think it's safe to say those gels came into play in the Pertwee era, and after the post-"Inferno" console refurb.

(I know celation will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Jan 05, 2013, 07:54 am #952 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013, 07:57 am by rassilonsrod
While these grabs are not amazingly clear, I'd say we're now at a place where we know what/where to look for and from what I can see here I would definitely say no green gel. :)

Power of the Daleks
d2-2e-024.jpg

d2-2e-127.jpg

The Underwater Menace
d2-2g-c262.jpg

I *think* the Gel came in for season 6, perhaps for War Games but I'm not totally sure on that. It's certainly not there
in The Seeds of Death. But this is all beyond the scope of Celation's Power-era console :)
Public Enema Number One.

celation

I had it in my mind that the green gels were there for Web of Fear, but I can't find anything to back this up at the moment.

Are they there in the Mind Robber pictures? Just checked - and it looks like they were...

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=411;topic=2152.0;attach=20864;image

I'm fairly sure the "extra" mirrors (on the sides of the paddles and the cube near the barbell) were missing by Power, but I'm not entirely sure. There aren't a whole lot of photos that show the column from this period in detail - and sadly very little in the way of footage, too. :(

Again, thanks for all the kind words - I couldn't have got this far without your help and this forum. Not to mention all the "Is it done yet?" questions. ;) Cheers all.

rasskin

it really is the most wonderful achievement already, but how fantastic would it be to have completed it this year? ;) staggering attention to detail and i sincerely hope i get to see it in the flesh someday.

keep going!

LOL

fivefingeredstyre

Any new updates for us? I'm dying to see this finished... :)

Rassilons Rod

Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 am #956 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2013, 08:41 am by rassilonsrod
We're all getting withdrawal symptoms :D

EDIT: I'm having one of those days where common words like "symptom" just look wrong when written.
Public Enema Number One.

timewomble

shane spangler

Just saw that the BBC have recreated the Hartnell console room for the 2013 docudrama.  Is that console, perchance, this beautiful work of art that has been so carefully re-created?? 
Shane Spangler

DoctorWho8

Sadly, doesn't seem so.  Board member Kert Gantry was able to get a peek around and was told the console was built for the production.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff