Apr 16, 2024, 09:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Celation's Hartnell/Troughton Console Build

Started by celation, Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

type55tardis

A lovely technical description Dino, you certainly know your stuff (I love technical) but you forgot to say,
Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow,that usually cures everything  ;).
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

galacticprobe

Oct 13, 2012, 01:59 pm #931 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2012, 02:02 pm by galacticprobe
Thanks, Peter! When I taught electronics in the Coast Guard and got into the subject of reversing polarity on diodes to the point where the diode fails (called "avalanche breakdown") I always got asked "What does avalanche breakdown look like?" So before class I prepared a cheap diode by killing the power strips to the work benches and placing a 12-volt diode into one of the electrical outlets. Then when that question was asked, before I pressed the "power on" button (which was one of those red, flat buttons like on the later Tom Baker console), as I explained things I would throw out "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" and then hit the button. Kapow! Loud bang, huge sparks, and orange glow balls dancing across the work bench. (And I'm sure a few soiled underthings.)

It never failed: at Break Time at least one person, sometimes more, would talk to me about 'Doctor Who' because of that catch phrase. ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

celation

Oct 14, 2012, 09:06 pm #932 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2012, 09:08 pm by celation
A little weekend work...

Here's the picture I promised Marc of the back of the telepathic circuits. You can see the styrene construction and the sprayed lamp.

telepathicBuild.jpg

And here they are in position on the nearly-completed panel.

panel4AlmostComplete.jpg

And here's the almost complete panel in position on the console.

panel4InPosition.jpg

I'm using a different method of attaching the meters - fixing them in from the back, so they don't need to be supported underneath. I'm not sure this is right as they're protruding through further than on the original console, I think.

I also started tackling the panel-dividing fins. They're not constructed as I believe the originals were, but I'm hoping it will work okay. They're a bit fiddly.

finBuild.jpg

And in position, but not yet cut to size. You can also see the printed stasis switch control in the background, and the newly finished rotor collar.

finPlacement.jpg

It's these fins which I feel really complete the look of this style of console. They're easiers to do than I thought (so far), so I'd like to get the others completed as soon as I can.

Rassilons Rod

Oct 14, 2012, 10:06 pm #933 Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012, 07:02 am by rassilonsrod
You made the telepathic circuits out of flat pieces?! How did you get the corners so round? Everything looks awesome, as per :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

type55tardis

This isn't just a reproduction its a work of art ,your attention to detail is phenomenal ,do you think it will be ready for the 50th anniversary.
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

galacticprobe

Oct 15, 2012, 01:49 pm #935 Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012, 01:49 pm by galacticprobe
I think the height of the meters looks about right for most of the Hartnell era. It was during Troughton's time that the meters started changing how high (or flush) they were on the panels. The way you've got your meters mounted looks like everything else you've done on this beauty so far... (I'd stick a word in here about now to describe the grandeur of this magnificent creation, but anything I could say would be a gross understatement to your accomplishment.)

They should reserve a spot in the Louvre for this for when you decide - if ever - to part with it. Heck, forget the Louvre: reserve a spot for it in the DWE!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Celation, this is utterly superb. You really should approach Messrs Moffat and Gatiss; your console deserves to be seen by a wider audience. what better way than in the docu-drama about Dr Who's beginnings.
Can't wait to see more progress!
Tony

timegalaxy5

this is simply incredible  :'( <tears of joy

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

mechanoid

I can only gasp, as I have run out of superlatives.

And surely you must get wider recognition of this superbly researched and stunningly executed labour of love?

Gasp again!

domvar

Hi Celation any more updates it's looking amazing.

Rassilons Rod

Nov 28, 2012, 09:19 am #940 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012, 09:53 am by rassilonsrod
And a damn fine question from Domvar that we're all itching to see an answer to! :)

I really like that one non-white ping pong btw :)
Public Enema Number One.

mobius

what are you going to do if when you finish it, it actually works?! :D cuz it looks like it might!
It's always a matter of time...

Rassilons Rod

The answer is surely take the TARDIS out of spacial distribution mode... ;)

Any updates, Chris? It's been a while... :)
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Dec 27, 2012, 06:48 pm #943 Last Edit: Dec 27, 2012, 06:49 pm by rassilonsrod
I just found these while doing searches today.

Very interesting that they are attached with three screws like the red brake lights on the console... These look just like a modern version :)

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/ST48RB.html

MC54RB_1000.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Jan 04, 2013, 02:20 pm #944 Last Edit: Jan 04, 2013, 03:19 pm by celation
Sorry guys - yes, it's still happening.

column2.jpg

That truck lamp is very interesting, Marc - I wonder if the originals were something very similar rather than being a composite of pieces? Looking at that, it seems likely.

mobius - what if it actually works? Well - I'll admit, I did feel a moment of "It's alive!" when I switched the rotor on...