Apr 19, 2024, 11:59 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Celation's Hartnell/Troughton Console Build

Started by celation, Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

geminitimelord

Excellent work. This looks like a quality prop. Love to see it when it is placed.

Fardels Bear

When it's finished you ought to drop a photo to the BBC Wales.  They could feature in the backround somewhere if Matt Smith ever goes exploring the Tardis! ;D
"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

Rassilons Rod

That's right... Now I remember... I did actually put toggle switches on my model :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

rocket

Every time I look at this thread I'm amazed by the detail. I'd give my left nut to be able to build something that accurate.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

celation

Dec 08, 2010, 12:19 pm #574 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 12:19 pm by celation
"Nuts? Yes, certainly, here we are. Crackers?"  :)

(Ta, BTW. :) )

Scarfwearer

Quote from: rocket on Dec 08, 2010, 11:32 am
I'd give my left nut to be able to build something that accurate.

I think I'll settle for being inaccurate...

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Have you NOT made some similar arrangement when  making your console, Crispin? ;)
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Dec 08, 2010, 04:19 pm #577 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 04:21 pm by Scarfwearer
Nothing I'd discuss in public... ;)

Crispin

EDIT: We'd better stop this now, or we'll be moderating ourselves...

geminitimelord

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Dec 08, 2010, 02:49 pm
Quote from: rocket on Dec 08, 2010, 11:32 am
I'd give my left nut to be able to build something that accurate.

I think I'll settle for being inaccurate...

Crispin

I was wondering what was wrong with the right one? But yes I agree a very high price to pay for perfection. Drift compensators galore........

mechanoid

Dec 08, 2010, 10:13 pm #579 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 11:44 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: celation on Dec 08, 2010, 01:31 am
After an evening's work in a very cold shed, here's the result. Completed and ready to bolt to a suitable panel.

aluPanelComplete.jpg

Possibly the most complex piece I've built for the console so far. Certainly a few man-hours have gone into it. All controls will "work" - i.e. are switches or pots. The two lights have holes drilled in the alu the same size as the ping-pong ball, so can (and will) be backlit.

Strictly speaking, the chickenhead knobs should have some kind of dial backing - certainly the large ones - but I'm not quite sure what to do about these yet. Very difficult to see the detail of them.

Completing the radiation meter is on the list next...

C.

Celation, this makes me salivate........no kidding! If you finish for the 50th anniversary I think the BBC should know and make use of it. As long as they take infinitesimally better care of it than the original! :)

mechanoid

Feb 12, 2011, 10:52 pm #580 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2011, 10:54 pm by mechanoid
Hi Celation,

I thought these may be useful as they show a really clear shot of a panel and the column, although obscured by titles. They are from "The Arc" just released on DVD.
How are things going by the way? Any progress? Lives in hope!

PDVD_000.JPGPDVD_005.JPG

celation

They're brilliant - thanks Mechanoid!

No - very little progress here, unfortunately. With the weather, family and illness - it's been very tricky to find time.

Hopefully before long...

Cheers,

C.

celation

Finally got myself a massive slab of plywood delivered for the baseplate of the first three panels! Just need some timber for the edging, and to triple-check my calculations before I can make a proper start on something that truly looks like a console.

While looking for wood, I also made an interesting discovery. Thin perspex used for glazing bends remarkably well into a circle... but not only this.

The diameter of the outer cover of the Time Column is (at my estimate) 22 inches. 22 x PI = 69.1 inches circumference.
This thin flexible perspex is sold in sheets approx 70 inches along their longest edge.
The cover for the early column has approximately a one inch overlap. Coincidence? I think not. :)

Much to do...

Rassilons Rod

Really looking forward to your next pictures!!

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

celation

A small, but significant update...

I have managed to cut the vast baseboard for one half of the console - and this is the result.

baseBoard1.jpg

There'll now be a reasonable amount of measuring and testing before I add the panels properly. This is merely a precarious test-balancing.

At least I have far more room to work in the workshop, now it's not filled with an 8' x 4' sheet of plywood. It's only about seven feet by three foot six. :)

And it does finally feel like I'm actually building a console! It's currently balanced on a Workmate at the correct height, plugged in with lights gleaming. Exciting stuff!  ;D