Apr 20, 2024, 06:43 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Celation's Hartnell/Troughton Console Build

Started by celation, Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Really love the telepathic circuits!!!!!! Would love to see how they were put together :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Rassilons Rod

Could this batten be attached at points underneath other things? Such as the Telepathic Circuits or the metal switch panel below?
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Oct 01, 2012, 11:11 am #903 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 11:38 am by celation
Hmm -yeah, maybe. There's also an odd circular knob right above the metal panel that I've never understood - almost looks like a door stop. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. This picture flagged up by "the pioneer" earlier in the thread.

mystery button.jpg

Actually - must look at that footage from the DVD - looks way better quality than the grab I have of it.

My telepathic circuits (gotta admit I have trouble referring to them as that - as they were that strange motion indicator in The Sensorites...! :) ) were made as a fairly basic styrene build - reinforced around the corners and the drill-hole points. They then house and hold in place truck indicator lamps that were masked and sprayed.

I'll take a snap of the back of one when I get a chance.

Whoever gave me that tip of using insulating tape as masking - thank you!

Edit: Check how dark the lights are when they're unlit in the image above. Almost as dark as the paint. Hmm.

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Oct 02, 2012, 05:07 am #905 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2012, 05:07 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: celation on Oct 01, 2012, 11:11 am
My telepathic circuits (gotta admit I have trouble referring to them as that - as they were that strange motion indicator in The Sensorites...! :) )...

You're right about that, celation. They were referred to as the "Tracking Monitor", I believe, and also used as such in "The Chase" to see how far behind the TARDIS the Dalek's time ship was, and how long it would take to arrive after the TARDIS landed.

They became the "Telepathic Circuits" in the Pertwee era (being used for that purpose at the very end of Part 6 of "Frontier In Space", though I can't remember if they were ever referred to by that name), and probably reconfigured that way as the 3rd Doctor constantly rewired the console (and TARDIS) to try and get her working again after his exile. (Just look at how the 3rd Doctor retired the Demat function from that one large lever on that panel to the three smaller levers on another panel, which he used without success in "The Three Doctors".)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

celation

Ah - I'm just being difficult, really. :) But yes - you're right - the way Pertwee uses the controls is quite different from the way Hartnell and Troughton tended to use them.

Definitely due to rewiring. ;)

Rassilons Rod

On the subject of Battoning... The screws for the metal panel might also have a second function?
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Oct 02, 2012, 11:06 pm #908 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2012, 11:09 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: celation on Oct 02, 2012, 01:41 pm
Ah - I'm just being difficult, really. :) But yes - you're right - the way Pertwee uses the controls is quite different from the way Hartnell and Troughton tended to use them.

Definitely due to rewiring. ;)

Maybe the Doctor can touch pretty much any part of console to activate the telepathic circuits?  We know that panel monitors the ship's movement (The Sensorites) and activity in its time-path (The Chase) - perhaps the Doctor was helping the Time Lords to get a fix on the TARDIS by contacting them through that particular bit.

All nonsense of course, but I love a bit of fannish theorising over continuity blunders!

Still spellbound by your build - a work of art.

galacticprobe

Oct 03, 2012, 04:56 am #909 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2012, 05:01 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: kert gantry on Oct 02, 2012, 11:06 pm
All nonsense of course, but I love a bit of fannish theorising over continuity blunders!

I think there are quite a few threads on here loaded with "fannish theorising", and they help people sort many things out. The same goes for some continuity blunders. But when you consider that both Hartnell and Troughton used pretty much the same controls for the same operation, this is one continuity blunder that's easily explained away. The 3rd Doctor was stranded with his TARDIS disabled, and in all of those episodes where he was rewiring this and that, it's easy to say that many of the console's controls had different functions when he was done with it (not to mention the "mangler" job the 4th Doctor did to the console in "The Horns of Nimon"!).

But you do have a good theory there; if those were still "tracking" circuits/monitors, then the 3rd Doctor could have used them to telepathically send the TARDIS' position to the Timelords so they would know just when to get him to "The Planet of the Daleks".

All that aside, this is still my favorite console (I am partial to the Hartnell era) and this is, as Kert says, a work of art. (And it only has competition from the 2005 console in my mind. My dilemma! If someone were to offer me a full-size console and give me a choice of the Hartnell or the 2005 version, after painful thought... ::) ??? :-\ :P :o <runs screaming into the night>.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: celation on Sep 30, 2012, 06:12 pm
Still working out how to do the rotary ones in particular. Wondering about some kind of distributor arrangement - a mechanical switch of some sort - though I do have a temporary electronic substitute using LEDs.

Have you does the LED circuit work like the rotating version? Or have you put some static LED lights in there?

I just did some quick searching on google and youtube. Everyone wants to do 10 or 12 LED versions.  I found this one (jump to 40 seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5UujCR02Fk

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

celation

It's an eight-LED chaser circuit. The LEDs are static and the circuit does the chaser bit. I'll wire both sets of lights together in parallel so they always do the same thing.

I need to buy some white LEDs and diffusers for them. Hope it gives an approximate look of the original.

Thing is with LEDs, they don't have that nice fading effect that filament bulbs have.

celation

Oh - and sorry Markofrani - I didn't answer your question re. the grills.

Yes - the only really different grills were the cream ones you mention, although the others also changed fairly frequently.

They varied between being what seems to be a plain ridged black grill; to possibly the same thing inverted - so with a raised edge; to a black-edged mesh grill; and in the War Games (and possibly others) a white-edged grille with black/white patterns in the centre.

Check over some of the reference images in Console Reference and you'll see what I mean.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1097.0

Scarfwearer

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 03, 2012, 04:56 am
Quote from: kert gantry on Oct 02, 2012, 11:06 pm

I think there are quite a few threads on here loaded with "fannish theorising", and they help people sort many things out.

I do my best to stamp it out! :D We can indulge a few comments about it occasionally (e.g. with regard to naming things), but fiction from the show is definitely considered off-topic.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

When I said static, what I meant was, non-blinking ;) Thought you might have just put a cheap stand-in in :)

Are 8 LED's enough? I was already wondering if 10 were enough!

Some of the chase circuits I found had several  chasing instead of one, which gives that sort of fading appearance. I think so, anyway :)

Is it time for your first demonstration video? ;)
Public Enema Number One.