Apr 18, 2024, 11:32 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Celation's Hartnell/Troughton Console Build

Started by celation, Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

celation

Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 pm Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 03:00 pm by Scarfwearer
Well, this forum has inspired me to begin on building something in reality rather than in 3D, which is what I'm used to. No Ctrl-Z to undo, and the raw materials are a lot more expensive, but here we go.

I've always loved the Hartnell Console, and after reading Marc's (RassilonsRod's) threads about the console, I decided to go for it.

I've started small! The first bit I made was a lever, from sandwiched wood, shown below.

plans.jpg

I've prototyped some of the stuff in 3D to test size and shape, then printed out plans to cut the pieces from, as you can see.

I then made a mould of the lever body from silicon, and duplicated a few in "resin plaster". I don't know how this will hold up.

bankOfFive.jpg

Seems to paint up okay (needs a few more coats) - but I think the lever handle and rod may be a bit large. I could do with some tips from someone like Scarfwearer on how they would eventually be wired up, if possible. Still in prototype stage:

leverPainted.jpg

I also began building a switch body...

switch.jpg

But wrecked it by painted it with water-based acrylic to test out what it would look like. Now it needs sanding again.

More to follow...

celation

Dec 14, 2009, 11:14 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2009, 11:41 pm by scarfwearer
Well after saying the switches were fairly solid, my son wandered up to me the other day, saying "oops" and handed me a red lever. Ah well - these things happen. Easily fixed.

No true updates, other than to say I have now bought two more large black lever knobs, and two more (beautiful!) meters. This now brings my meter count to five - all correct - which is handy as one was pretty rusty.

So now I have pretty much all the components I need - just not the space or the time to build it at the moment. (A TARDIS build lacking space and time - always amuses me!  ;D)

Things should get better on this front in the new year. We're due to get a proper shed, and as other projects disappear, the time should be freed up. The crazy thing is, even a 10' by 10' shed leaves very little room around a console 7' in diameter!

To be on schedule, I really should complete another panel by the end of this year, but that's not going to happen.
That means two panels next year in order to be finished by the 50th anniversary!

C.

celation

Feb 12, 2009, 05:18 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2011, 02:39 pm by Scarfwearer
Well, most of you have heard it all before, so I'll keep it short.

Current status...

Panel 6 nearly built - needs painting:

panel6MorePainting.jpg

Central column - early days:

silverBasket.jpg

Panel 1 just begun:

Panel1StartBits.jpg

That's it for now.

C.

markofrani

Not sure if this might be of use, but on closer inspection of this grab from 'The Time Meddler', there appears to be two extra cubes attached to the central pillar? One black, the other white? The longer rod on the outer ring has already been noted, but this pic gives a good idea of the size.
01-1.jpg

celation

Thanks mark - that'll come in handy.

I've spotted cube shapes on the central rod before - though never in that position - and I've thought that they might have been four mirrors attached around in a cube shape. I don't know if I'm right. I'll check the Time Meddler DVD for that footage - cheers.

In fact, thinking about it - the original had some square mirrors stuck diagonally to the rods on the sides of the central "paddle wheel". Maybe these are the same mirrors repositioned.

The upcoming Space/Chase DVD should also have some great shots on it of the console. Looking forward to that one!  :)

Really wish I had more time to work on it at the moment. Was rather annoyed to find that the central perspex rod which I spent ages sanding to the correct shape has now cracked through at the end. It's still in one piece, but has "fracture" lines all through the end that I shaped. Very odd.

C.

Rassilons Rod

Feb 12, 2009, 05:23 pm #5 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:50 pm by scarfwearer
Did you hear that? I think it was the crack of a whip ;)

Great pics :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Feb 13, 2009, 12:49 am #6 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:50 pm by scarfwearer
Keep cracking that whip - it's working!

I've been fixing up the black switch.

This lot:

blackSwitchComponents.jpg

Becomes this:

blackSwitchPrototype.jpg

Excuse the crudeness... I haven't had time to paint it, but hopefully it's to scale.

The switch on the end will look like this:

blackSwitchSwitchless.jpg

And this is how the actual slider switch fits through the hole:

blackSwitchSwitch.jpg

I was so tempted to prime it, but that'll have to wait for another night when it's not snowing/sleeting outside...

The main body has got to be primed and sanded again before casting, which will be quite tricky as there's a big undercut at the back. Not sure how that's going to work. I'm wondering if a split in the back of the silicon mould will be a problem...

When finished, the white section will probably be sprayed light grey gloss (except the red one). Don't know if you can see it, but there's a screw through the lower section. Should be bigger, and should be gloss as well. (Or should be a small light - Marc...?) Oh - and the screws holding on the plate may end up being smaller, and brass - possibly.

Funny - for years I thought they were all black, and that the light colour of the white section was just the surface catching the light.

Oh - the switch itself has a yellow chunk on it because it's had a section of Marmite jar lid inserted to give it a grip on the top. It's got to be fixed up with Milliput before casting.

C.

kiwidoc

Feb 13, 2009, 01:10 am #7 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:50 pm by scarfwearer
Wonderful!    My favourite-ist thing is the piece of marmite lid - brilliant!

lungman

Feb 13, 2009, 10:20 am #8 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:51 pm by scarfwearer
COOL!  Absolutely incredible!  Great stuff mate!  :)

karsthotep

Feb 13, 2009, 06:04 pm #9 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:51 pm by scarfwearer
WOW...now that is cool, I was never clear if the whole black thing was the switch or that bit at the end..that has cleared it up considerably.  thanks for posting.

karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Dematerialiser

Feb 14, 2009, 02:12 pm #10 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:52 pm by scarfwearer
Brilliant thread - I'm addicted to seeing this all come together!

cheers
Chris

celation

Feb 15, 2009, 11:06 am #11 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:52 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks guys!

Chris: I'm getting kind-of addicted to building it as well. Should be doing other stuff, really...

Anyway, yesterday was painting the five dome lights for Panel 1, and the Fast Return Switch.

fastReturnComponents.jpg

And put together:

fastReturn1.jpg

fastReturn2.jpg

And here's the real one for reference:

fastReturnRef.jpg

It actually looks terrible in a close up, and far better as a small part of a big console. There are a couple of painting glitches that I'll fix, but overall I don't mind the slightly battered look. There are a couple of differences from the original, but not enough to worry me unduly.

The wires are for the red switch, which will be able to control something or other eventually.

Actually - looking at the reference image, I'm not sure I'm right in painting the entire switch red. It looks like it's just the top of the switch which is painted... Looks like I'll be making a couple of adjustments.

Oh - still missing a little detail on the RHS of the bottom bit. There's a small white button with a black surround. Not sure how I'm doing that yet...

Did a couple of other bits - masked and painted the other red display on Panel 6 (the design is surprisingly similar to the Starfleet logo, as far as I can make out); and painted the screws and washers for the same panel.

C.

purpleblancmange

Feb 15, 2009, 11:31 am #12 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:52 pm by scarfwearer
That's really quite an impressive build there and rather inspirational.  I'm not sure that I'd want to build a full console myself, but to replicate something like the Fast Return Switch seems like a nice little project.  Are those rivets in the removable section?

celation

Feb 15, 2009, 11:54 am #13 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:53 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Purple,

Thanks. Yes - they're rivets. They split the plastic nicely when I put them in... Plenty of Milliput to fix the joins!

C.

Rassilons Rod

Feb 15, 2009, 01:55 pm #14 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 10:53 pm by scarfwearer
Thats looking fantastic :) Touch up the paint as you said, and it'll be perfect :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.