Apr 18, 2024, 07:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Jarrod's Five Doctors Console

Started by Lungman, Sep 12, 2006, 03:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lungman

Thank you all once again for your encouragement!  :D
I've continued to work very hard on getting this thing ready/finished in hope that it will be ready for any 50th anniversary celebrations that might be happening around the place. I've been madly sticking scrabble tiles to panels and have secured all but 4 switches to all panels now. Here's one that I'm working on at the moment.

photo.jpg

at the bottom right of this panel, I've installed two small digital picture frames and will have a couple of animated gifs or mpegs looping on them.

AnyWHO, will post more pics when I get a chance. Take care everyone! :)

rasalon

This is amazing, :o

I bow to you constuction abilities.

warmcanofcoke

This man gives me hope for the future.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Damn - that's beautiful...

DoctorWho8

Oooh, oooh, ooh.  Are those large red rocker switches staying red or will you paint them chrome?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Lungman

Hi everyone! Still been working like a cut snake on this thing and slowly making progress. It's funny how hard it is to concentrate on things when you've got a wife and a two year old to balance things with!

Anyway, just noticed that there have been a few questions that I haven't answered...

1. The panels are made out of MDF. I suck badly at using fibreglass!

2. I painted them with undercoat, Taubmans "Asmara Grey" enamel paint, and then a top coat of clear gloss enamel.

3. The computer keys will have characters on them as I figure out what symbols are on each. Unfortunately, I only have a few banks of keys detailed in my reference pics, so I'll do what I can.

4. The rocker switches were purchased when I was working for an electronics store about ten years ago. I could only get hold of red ones and was able to get them for about $1 a piece. I was considering taking them all off to replace them with a more accurate model but for the one that warmcanofcoke has been collecting, they are about $20 a piece. I think I'll stay with the red ones unless I can get a bulk lot of the proper ones on ebay or the like. Further, I'm not keen on the idea of spraying them as there is little clearance between the red actuator and the switch housing. I fear that if I were to spray them chrome, they might seize altogether.

Anyway, I've been working on the large light display on the panel that has the door control. I've linked a couple of pics and a video below. I'm still experimenting with the brightness of the globes and might notch them down a volt or two.

DSC_1896.jpg

DSC_1895.jpg

th_DSC_1898.jpg

To get a truly random lighting thing happening, I opted for some old school flasher bulbs which flash at their own random rate. They're heaps better than anything controlled by a digital circuit. :)

celation

Looks brilliant. I still don't know how you got that level of detail from MDF.

Would love to hear more about what kind of flasher bulbs you used - it would be very useful for my console...

warmcanofcoke

yeah I was lucky I got them for about $4 a piece - but I still need 31 more of them ..... so I hope I can find a bunch of inexpensive ones .... maybe in blue ...  I don't think anyone can fault you on anything - your console work is amazing with fantastic detail. It is a work of art.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

maverickjsmith

It could be the digital camera exaggerating the brightness of the lights (which they often do) but other than that looks brilliant!

And I too would also like to know what lights you used for that lighting display.

Keep it up!

Maverick 8)
Maverick

Lungman

Here is the link to the ebay listing that has the globes for sale. They are a #407 MES Globe.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130501993549?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

:)

celation

marinedalek

Oct 31, 2012, 10:03 pm #162 Last Edit: Nov 01, 2012, 12:35 am by marinedalek
Just had a look around a couple of electronics sites... These look pretty promising and less pricey than $20 at £5.16 exc. VAT

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-switches/0334606/

R664935-01.jpg

Lungman

Here's a couple of progress pics of the panel I'm working on at the moment...

595C59B8-F029-4A77-9D34-492B366D9BE6-1261-000000E535D7C48E.jpg

2685E618-0411-4FFA-AA17-F94AFDF4B668-1261-000000E507905067.jpg

:)

timegalaxy5

wow, just awesome-er and awesome-er  :o

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------