Apr 18, 2024, 10:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Jade Console - custom console build

Started by Jade, Oct 11, 2020, 05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ciderman

Cut one panel out in cardboard to a size that fits and use that template 6 times to mark out the base hexagon. This should help. Peter Brachiacki wanted moulded panels to fit William Hartnells hands on the console but he had to compromise so view any errors also as a compromise. If Peter could get past setbacks then Tardis builders can too! Hope this helps

Jade

I think I've figured out where I went wrong. I knew I wanted console to come out 70 inches from centre and so concluded I needed a total length of 140. I then made the mistake of thinking it would be 140 the other way as well. I estimate it should have been 140 x 160 inches.

I now have two ways of fixing this mistake. I can reduce the size of the base hexagon and then later extend the panel support fins out a little to compensate.

Or I have enough off cut to basically put a 140 x 20 inch piece through the middle. kind of like those dinning tables that can pull apart and have a bit in the middle that folds out to make it bigger.

But either way at least I can work around it now.

Quote from: ciderman on May 10, 2023, 09:34 pmCut one panel out in cardboard to a size that fits and use that template 6 times to mark out the base hexagon. This should help. Peter Brachiacki wanted moulded panels to fit William Hartnells hands on the console but he had to compromise so view any errors also as a compromise. If Peter could get past setbacks then Tardis builders can too! Hope this helps

Yeah I have some carboard templates I made (which makes it sucks even more that I slipped up) I'll do that when I decide which way I'm going to go. I also need to make up my mind how big a gap I need to leave for the time rotor.

Jade

Ok, after my mistake I've taken cinderman's advice and went back to the initial cardboard panels I cut to try and redo my base. At first I couldn't work out why this wasn't working and the six panels not joining up.

P1120246.JPG

Then I realised that the panels were cut to be sloped.

P1120247.JPG

P1120248.JPG

So that kind of solved that issue. Am I right in thinking that if I now trace the outside of the panels I'll get my base?

My other issue though is that now the Panels seemed to sloped. 31 inches. What is a good angle to have and what adjustments would I need to make.

bottom width is 30 inches, top width is 11.5 inches

Tried the console calculator but that didn't really help much.

tardis calculator.png

The plan is once I get the base cut and screwed down I'll cut six angled pieces that the panels will then rest on so I'll need to work out how sloped the panels have to be before moving on.

russellsuthern

Looking great!
Keep going!!
Russ

ciderman

Quote from: Jade on Jul 09, 2023, 01:48 pmOk, after my mistake I've taken cinderman's advice and went back to the initial cardboard panels I cut to try and redo my base. At first I couldn't work out why this wasn't working and the six panels not joining up.

P1120246.JPG

Then I realised that the panels were cut to be sloped.

P1120247.JPG

P1120248.JPG

So that kind of solved that issue. Am I right in thinking that if I now trace the outside of the panels I'll get my base?

My other issue though is that now the Panels seemed to sloped. 31 inches. What is a good angle to have and what adjustments would I need to make.

bottom width is 30 inches, top width is 11.5 inches

Tried the console calculator but that didn't really help much.

tardis calculator.png

The plan is once I get the base cut and screwed down I'll cut six angled pieces that the panels will then rest on so I'll need to work out how sloped the panels have to be before moving on.
Looking good! I just kept cutting the top of the panel until i felt it looked right and not too steep.

Jade

Ok so after my mistake with the measurements, I've been able to do a work around and now have the base done and screwed down, except one panel which is slightly out. I'm debating weather it matters or not if I cut it down slightly.

P1120250.png

P1120249.jpg

It's a bit bendy in places. Slightly thicker board may have helped but this is going to be on the underneath of everything and I can also use some brackets or wood to level everything up.

I was thinking that the fins for the panels would be the next job but then realised I'd have to decide what I'm doing for the column first so that's my next job to work on. I have a couple of ideas although tips and suggestions welcome.

Volpone

It should all stiffen up as you add the top to it.  You'll be creating a triangular cross-section.  Triangles are a very strong and stable shape, engineering-wise. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

ciderman

Looking good. Check your cardboard panels on top of it and then check that the 6 sides of your base match. If you think its too high on the angle cut the height of the cardboard panels and adjust the top length to a shorter width and adjust the slopes. I just kept cutting mine until they looked reasonably right. Even now though they are all technically different lengths but from what your showing us it all looks really good and its taking shape!
Ps. I console myself that the original tv consoles all had their quirks and probably werent exact hexagons to the millimetre but we still marvel at them and accept them for what they are.

Jade

I used some sloped thin boxes I had to test out where the fins will go and then used some of my cardboard panels to test. My measurements aren't to far out but the panels when I cut them out will have to be a slightly different angel to my cardboard one and I think a bit longer at the bottom.
This got me thinking though. One I build the central column and then add my fins the angle should really matter that much. because then I would cut the panels to fit the fins, right?

P1120251.JPG

P1120254.JPG

Jade

Ok this project has been on the back burner due to other commitments for a while but I'm always hoping to get back to it and always looking out for ideas.

So a friend of mine is selling this wooden crystal display unit. £30

417432370_10161266033283739_8833596477454464552_n.jpg

depending on measurements I thinking maybe turning it upside down and putting in the centre of my console, so bring the panels down from the edges and build the rotor inside. or if lightweight enough maybe when I've built a rotor having this at the top. A bit like the top of the eighth Doctor's rotor and simular to the roof light on the original.

Just wondered what others thought.

Volpone

I'd be tempted, if I had the money and it all checked out, to use it like the Hartnell "octagon" and/or as the top of a new series style time rotor.  The downlights on the control panels would probably be a pretty cool effect.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.