Apr 26, 2024, 08:38 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Door Sign Project

Started by usagi-pilgrim, Apr 27, 2011, 05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

usagi-pilgrim

Apr 27, 2011, 05:07 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:16 pm by Scarfwearer
Hello all. I've been lurking for years, as the old story goes, but never really had anything to contribute. Well I finally do. After years of dreaming of building a full-size box, A disability related to my vision put it on a back burner. Nothing has dampened my spirit for Who though, so I began looking for alternatives to a TARDIS in the front yard of a rural North Carolina home. I decided on 2 displays. The 1st one is a memento from each of the Doctors. Right now it consists of a 1/3 completed 4th Doctor's scarf, & 9's sonic by CT. Still doesn't cover my TARDIS fix, though, so my 2nd display will be the "PULL TO OPEN" doors from all the various incarnations.

The centerpiece will be a lit door from the 2010 model so I decided to start on a simple mock-up. Using the pdf's from here & 3/4 strips from Lowe's I built a nice replica that looked a little too skinny. I found ONE handle in the entire store that looked close enough to pass. After looking on here for the correct dimensions of the door trim, I decided to build the frame out of 2 inch strips of pine & then shave down til I reached the right size. Enter a very talented woodworking uncle that agreed to make my simple frame. After charging me nothing, ( free is ALWAYS good) he delivered a beautiful & solid piece of TARDIS. One problem. He "upgraded" my design by using counter-sunk wood screws & hand cut pine plugs. No way to pare down the sides. I now have a beefy, solid, & beautiful sign that will stand on it's own. To be honest, it's kind of growing on me.

Thanks for listening & supplying all the good info. I'll surely be asking for more as I start on the display in earnest next month.[attachid]001.JPG[/attach][attachid]003.JPG[/attach][attachid]004.JPG[/attach][attachid]005.JPG[/attach]

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

usagi-pilgrim

Apr 27, 2011, 05:08 pm #1 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2011, 05:12 pm by usagi-pilgrim
Sorry, but my pics didn't seem to load.

[attachid]001.JPG[/attachid][attachid]003.JPG[/attachid][attachid]004.JPG[/attachid][attachid]005.JPG[/attachid]

usagi-pilgrim

Well that makes 3 tries. They are all jpgs so IDK the problem. Sorry guys.

deck5

Maybe the size?  How large are the jpgs?  You could post links to them, instead.

usagi-pilgrim

Hello again deck5. I tried using the [img] thing but it said they weren't supported files. Each one is about 225kb.

deck5

Peculiar.  Maybe they're not really jpgs.

deck5

usagi-pilgrim

*sigh*...(hangs head)...My wife wants to know how much she owes you for babysitting me.

deck5

BioDoctor900

How much did your sign cost you as I'm looking for one for my TARDIS

BioDoctor900

usagi-pilgrim

The actual sign itself was only $11. It's not for outdoor use since it's only printed on foam core. I took the file for the 2010 model to Office Max on a thumb-drive & it took them about 5 minutes to print it & cut it to the size you see.

The handle was about $3 & paint was a simple rattle can of "Royal Blue". If I would guess the total cost with wood & all, I'd have to say well less than $25.

As a point of interest, I saw in their signage catalog, they can print a sign on a metal plate like the 2005 & on white styrene for a back-lit 2010 model. I didn't check to see if I could get raised vinyl letters though.

Hope this helps.

BioDoctor900

Well I want to get one made, but for outdoor use as the one I have at the moment is made from a printout, in a folder front which has the plastic cover still on and taped up, but water gets into it and spoils it

BioDoctor900

DoctorWho8

If you need something on the cheap, you can get a sign laminated.  Just print out the sign at actual size on Tabloid/A3-sized paper, cut it down, put the holes in for the screws, then get it laminated with heavy lamination plastic.  Once laminated, you can carefully punch the holes large enough to get the screws through and not break the lamination.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

BioDoctor900

That's a good idea, I'll think about it

BioDoctor900